Giant Clearance Sale - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckley would be happy with his decision.

Lance Franklin and Shaun Higgins are two recent players who did the exact same thing. No criticism but????
Discussion is meaningless in my opinion bevause we haven't won a flag, and no-one actually knows which, if either, club will during his playing time. Bottom line he chose the money and the stardom and that was his right. He did trash Richmond publicly and that wasn't a good look, but he's young and no doubt wanting to impress his new club at the time.

Yep, Bucks was a talent. So is Treloar. Both will give up premierships by leaving their former clubs for $$$$.
There's no saying Treloar won't win a premiership with Collingwood. If he doesn't, so be it. Many good players don't win premierships; I'm sure it's a great feeling but it doesn't define a career.

Buckley would be happy with his decision.

Lance Franklin and Shaun Higgins are two recent players who did the exact same thing. No criticism but????

Buddy had already won a flag at the Hawks.
Higgins left when the dogs were mess and were imploding to a more stable club (or so he thought).

Both completely different to doing a Buckley and not winning one.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Buddy had already won a flag at the Hawks.
Higgins left when the dogs were mess and were imploding to a more stable club (or so he thought).

Both completely different to doing a Buckley and not winning one.

I don't really think Buckley would care about his decision. He became a legend of the game and his bank account was a lot fatter than it would have been if he stayed at the Lions. No sleep lost and I still have no idea why opposition supporters bring it up to this day. What a useless comment. Buckley is also a premiership player with Port Adelaide; not as good as an AFL premiership back then but it certainly held a lot more weight back then and filled a spot in his trophy cabinet.

And fwiw, the Higgins case is pretty much the exact same. He left a basket case of a club (as did Buckley, the club folded in three years) and went to a team who offered a substantial contract.

I don't really think Buckley would care about his decision. He became a legend of the game and his bank account was a lot fatter than it would have been if he stayed at the Lions. No sleep lost and I still have no idea why opposition supporters bring it up to this day. What a useless comment. Buckley is also a premiership player with Port Adelaide; not as good as an AFL premiership back then but it certainly held a lot more weight back then and filled a spot in his trophy cabinet.

And fwiw, the Higgins case is pretty much the exact same. He left a basket case of a club (as did Buckley, the club folded in three years) and went to a team who offered a substantial contract.

Thats nice.

I never said he would regret it.

May want to read the posts again before going all Eddie on our asses.

Can't see why anyone would leave GWS over the next 2-3 years. They'd be kicking themselves for the rest of their life missing out on Premierships. I can understand the fringe players just looking for an opportunity but none of the best 22.
Agree. Totally understand WHE and the yearly Carlton bound offcuts leaving. Easier to get a game in a side with less talent than GWS.

Agree. Totally understand WHE and the yearly Carlton bound offcuts leaving. Easier to get a game in a side with less talent than GWS.
I miss WHE already. He's struggled with his body since early 2015 and always hoped for him to come back. No doubt at his best he plays best 22 in any side.
Miss Marchbank too and he was no offcut, he wanted to go with his initial contract up, and we traded. Certainly best 22 with us and I think any side, dropped off the radar with a succession of injuries last year.

I miss WHE already. He's struggled with his body since early 2015 and always hoped for him to come back. No doubt at his best he plays best 22 in any side.
Miss Marchbank too and he was no offcut, he wanted to go with his initial contract up, and we traded. Certainly best 22 with us and I think any side, dropped off the radar with a succession of injuries last year.
Interesting. Who do WHE and Marchbank replace in the current 22?

Interesting. Who do WHE and Marchbank replace in the current 22?
Whe last played round 3 2016 with Jeremy Cameron out suspended. It's a tough call, he probably plays a role most like Devon Smith but with better marking skills. I wouldn't be dropping Smith though. If 2017 then Stevie J most likely, and controversial. More complex but pissibly Griffen with Toby Greene and/or Josh Kelly spending more time in the inside mid rotation.He can kick straight after a hard run like very players and run the ball like a good winger, and is a good mark.
When Marchbank was fit early last year he was selected over Nick Haynes in round 3. Dont laugh, Leon said before the game against the Swans Nick Haynes was good to go but there was no spot open. He would undoubedly have found his way in but with Marchbank and Corr fit I dont think we would have spent the time developing Adam Tomlinson into a tall defender.
For 2017 Patful's spot is obvious, and Adam Tomlinson now owns one tall spot you would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be so amazing to lock away those 3 before the season!

You would say smith is probably gone then.

You guys will have to lose someone for cap space and i doubt you will choose to keep smith over a local kid like kennedy.

You guys will have to lose someone for cap space and i doubt you will choose to keep smith over a local kid like kennedy.
Why?

We could just loose allot of fringe.
Allot of our players are signing for unders supposedly so.....

Not saying its not possible but its not a definate we loose him as well

We shifted out almost all our experienced depth, Scully is on a reduced contract, phil Scully is no longer in our salary cap and patfulls contract was moved to the rookie list.

Our cap isn't quite as bursting as made out I think considering how many players are on minimum wage contracts

My colleagues know what they're talking about, but I fear you may be right. I dont think we'll be kicking his fingers off the door to close it behind him though. He's way too good a player for that. He's been very silent on the matter and that's a bad sign.
I've no doubt we'll make a good offer or at least make him aware there'll be one if he wants it.
You could argue Deledio puts his spot under pressure but we dont know if he'll be fit and playing, and Devon could easily take any outside mid spot.

My colleagues know what they're talking about, but I fear you may be right. I dont think we'll be kicking his fingers off the door to close it behind him though. He's way too good a player for that. He's been very silent on the matter and that's a bad sign.
I've no doubt we'll make a good offer or at least make him aware there'll be one if he wants it.
You could argue Deledio puts his spot under pressure but we dont know if he'll be fit and playing, and Devon could easily take any outside mid spot.

From memory there was little too no chat from him in the media before resigning last time for 2 years. The club has him in the leadership group which suggests every effort will be made to retain him.

Also his interview post swans game last week did not suggest someone who was going to head elsewhere just when the team is becoming a genuine force. He hates losing with a passion!

Providing he is getting a game I'm expecting him to sign an extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nofear.gif

From memory there was little too no chat from him in the media before resigning last time for 2 years. The club has him in the leadership group which suggests every effort will be made to retain him.

Also his interview post swans game last week did not suggest someone who was going to head elsewhere just when the team is becoming a genuine force. He hates losing with a passion!

Providing he is getting a game I'm expecting him to sign an extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope your right. He was very wistful about home in his christmas interview, guess that's understandable.
He also did suffer homesickness in his first year.
I dont want him to go, I do think he's most likely

Shiel was silent and re-signed

Treloar was vocal and left

I'll wait and see but I'm not too fussed given he is best 22 and is extremely close with jezza who is locked away

Why?

We could just loose allot of fringe.
Allot of our players are signing for unders supposedly so.....

Not saying its not possible but its not a definate we loose him as well

Nothing personal against you guys at all as you both seem like pretty reasonable posters but I do have some thoughts on this as to why I disagree with you a bit on this:

1. Marchbank and McKenna were coming off mandatory 2 year draftee deals, them leaving frees up no money as their salaries would have been replaced like for like with Setterfield and Perryman's wages etc.
2. Guys like Pickett Ahern and Stewart shouldn't have been on a lot wages wise (if GWS were doing their job properly which I think they were as they have a lot of sensible staff there) considering the fact they weren't established and their injury histories.
3. The only player you lost in the last trade period who would have freed up a lot of money would have been McCarthy as he signed his deal when he was best 22 and looking like a star.
4. If Patfull played on it would have been on a 1 year reduced wages like most over 30s so I doubt they would have budgeted a lot of money for him in the cap.

On the other side of it:
1. Deledio came in for 3 years at 500k approx.
2. Yes guys like Shiel Kelly and Patton will have signed for less than what other clubs would have offered them but they will still have signed with you for more money than what they last signed 2 years ago. And if the managers are smart they will have put bonus clauses in the contracts meaning those guys will get extra money if they trigger top 5 b & f results, AA selections etc, which a lot of them will now.
3. You won't have any more retirements this year except SJ who himself isn't likely to be on a lot of money anyway.

Now there is some uncertainty here as none of the clubs know what the cap figure for 2018 will be yet so we are all guessing a bit but I think it's reasonable to say you guys won't have freed up a lot of cap room, and therefore a best 2 player will probably have to go.

My only point I was making re Smith was that if you are looking at who might go is he is clearly less structurally important to you than guys like Patton and Shiel, and you have less of field need to keep him than local guys like Hopper and Kennedy who would be greater priorities to retain. He is a good player but given these factors and given the depth you have in small to medium forwards he is the obvious player to be sacrificed if a best 22 player needs to be.

Pickett and ahern were both on 300k

They couldn't have been in 2016 as they would still have been on the mandatory 2 year draftee wage. They may have been in 17/18 though. 300k is not a lot though if you look at the current CBA that's basically about where the median wage sits, so most depth/fringe players at most clubs would be on 200-300k currently. It's really only once you talk about players on 400+ k (for example with us Caddy was in this wage band, guys like Kersten were on less) that you are really freeing up substantial cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back