Senior List
Dec 9, 2010
Land of the felafel
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Western Suburbs AFC Est.1926
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/giant-opportunityfor-two-aflsydney-players.html

The Greater Western Sydney GIANTS are trilled to announce they will play a pre-season practice match against a combined AFL Sydney side at Monarch Oval, Macquarie Fields on Saturday, 5 February, 2011.

The match, which will be free for all the community to enjoy, will also provide a once in a life time opportunity for AFL Sydney players to vie for selection in the extended GIANTS playing group.

Following the practice match, the GIANTS will invite two players to join their squad in preparation for the NAB Cup at Blacktown Olympic Park on Saturday, 19 February and the subsequent NAB Challenge matches to be held across NSW.

GIANTS Head Coach Kevin Sheedy said that this was an important opportunity to extend to local players.

“Local football is the life blood of this game. As a club it’s important that we have a strong relationship with our local AFL clubs."
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/giant-opportunityfor-two-aflsydney-players.html

There's some decent talent running round in the Sydney AFL, and it's a fantastic opportunity.
One of Kevin Sheedy's favourite themes is giving someone a second chance - and I could easily see him picking up a former Scholarship player who wasn't rookie listed by their Scholarship club and giving them another crack at making it at AFL level. Someone who is still young but has a few years of senior football under their belt.

Any word on who is in the Sydney team

Brain I would imagine

Bowles you would think B & F dual premiershipm player

Spiteri should be ( another dual prem) does Johnson qualify

Egan?age? but smart

Withers the hands

Absolum good footballer

Dimery dual premiership player at 17

Strudwick. good mover

Duncan was going to be a star

Moller

Lewington

J Vlatko

Perry

Costello

Is there an age thing or are they keen to giveany one a go & pluck a pods at 26 should sfl be trying to win or give blokes a chance to show themselves

Sydney AFL team's been picked:

Rohan Bates (Balmain), Shanan Kershaw, Owen Love (Campbelltown), Rowan Bilkey, Jack Dimery, Steve O'Connor, Daniel Spiteri, Jamie Vlatko (East Coast), Lachlan Pryor, Jeremy Stiller, Teddy Strudwick (North Shore), Alex Goodall, Kieran Wright (Pennant Hills), Bryce Addison, Declan Donohue (St George), Tim Barton, Tom Elkington, Adam McConnochie, Mitchell Thompson (Sydney Uni), Max Collett, Ben Woods (UNSW-ES), Rohan Lilly, Dave Linsen, Brenton Mumme, Dwain Watkins (Wests), Troy Bartlett, Beau Black (Wollongong).

After the game, 2 of them will join the Giants squad for pre-season and the NAB Cup & NAB Challenge. If any of them impress, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheeds was to keep one of them on to join the GWS squad.

Any word on who is in the Sydney team

Brain I would imagine

Bowles you would think B & F dual premiershipm player

Spiteri should be ( another dual prem) does Johnson qualify

Egan?age? but smart

Withers the hands

Absolum good footballer

Dimery dual premiership player at 17

Strudwick. good mover

Duncan was going to be a star

Moller

J Vlatko

Perry

Costello

Is there an age thing or are they keen to giveany one a go & pluck a pods at
26 should sfl be trying to win or give blokes a chance to show themselves

Egan's almost 30 and I understand he's gone to Canberra.

Perry has gone to Eastlake.

Ben Woods is one who looks pretty good.

Rohan Bates (Balmain), Shanan Kershaw, Owen Love (Campbelltown), Rowan Bilkey, Jack Dimery, Steve O'Connor, Daniel Spiteri, Jamie Vlatko (East Coast), Lachlan Pryor, Jeremy Stiller, Teddy Strudwick (North Shore), Alex Goodall, Kieran Wright (Pennant Hills), Bryce Addison, Declan Donohue (St George), Tim Barton, Tom Elkington, Adam McConnochie, Mitchell Thompson (Sydney Uni), Max Collett, Ben Woods (UNSW-ES), Rohan Lilly, Dave Linsen, Brenton Mumme, Dwain Watkins (Wests), Troy Bartlett, Beau Black (Wollongong).
I hope Lachie Pryor and Alex Goodall get it
Lachie gave up a chance to be an olympic class Sailor to pursue an AFL career back in 05/06 once he got his scholarship to I beleive it was North Melbourne. After playing with him in 2005, I'd just like to see someone from my team make it, Longy had a scholarship with Freo, didn't get a gig, but did move to WA to be in a WAFL team and be under their eye. Scott (Reed) got his scholarship to Collingwood, and is now entering his 3rd year as a rookie there and....
Brain I would imagine
James right? the midfielder. I always thought he was a great player, I only ever saw him play 1 bad game, would of been his 1st under 12s rep game, his dad went mental at my dad (the coach) for dragging him, at least he got an apology when they found out he had a stress fracture in his foot restricting his running

or are you talking about Levi?
good forward he was, him in the forward line, and Scott Reed in the ruck made me the backup in 2 positions :(
Ben Woods is one who looks pretty good.
I know there were 2 people who played for Riverveiw, and then went to UNSW/ES, but 1 went to Central Disticts in the SANFL for a year or 2 (08 maybe 09)
Was that Ben, or the other kid I can't remember the name of (or was Woods the really good original UNSW/ES - I didn't think he was, I'm pretty sure Harrison Cumming was the really good player from there - is he still on the Bulldogs list?)

Oh, and back to that 1st post I quoted, the reason I want Goodall to get it, is because I'm pretty sure in the year I moved to SA after playing at Pennant Hills in 06 and 07, he had a bad injury keeping him out most of the year, I'm pretty sure, not 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure it was

I don't think any of the people named in the Sydney AFL team played for GWS in the TAC Cup last year. I guess people who were in the TAC Cup squad are already on the Giants' radar.

I think James Brain is still under 18 this year and is still on a Brisbane scholarship. If so I think he'd play for the Rams this year and maybe some games for the Lions reserves in the NEAFL; but if Brisbane don't end up listing him GWS would be a good chance to pick him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about a spearhead forward for the 2012 season??? Will no doubt be de-listed from the Lions and put on a limited contract with a heap of behavourial conditions. This will secure no doubt be 100 goals per season.

Plenty of experience for a group of young blokes.

Some people are beyond help, and he is one of them. It's too late to rehabilitate him now; and I'd rather not have him dragging the name of the club through the mud as he inevitably would.

Anyone know what time this game is on?
4:30pm on Saturday 5th. It's at Monarch Oval, on Fields Rd at Macquarie Fields. Entry is free.
To get there, go down the M5 and take the Brooks Rd exit. Turn left at the end of Brooks Rd at Williamson Rd, then turn right at Henderson Rd. After you cross the railway line, go straight ahead to the second roundabout. Turn left and the ground is on the right (you will see the grandstand), so turn into the car park.

4:30pm on Saturday 5th. It's at Monarch Oval, on Fields Rd at Macquarie Fields. Entry is free.
To get there, go down the M5 and take the Brooks Rd exit. Turn left at the end of Brooks Rd at Williamson Rd, then turn right at Henderson Rd. After you cross the railway line, go straight ahead to the second roundabout. Turn left and the ground is on the right (you will see the grandstand), so turn into the car park.
that's Campbelltown's oval isn't it?

I beleive Adelaide and Sydney played a pre-season game there in 1999

Remove this Banner Ad

Back