Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your earlier posts.

L to R: Collins, Callow, Davis, Walker and Banks

received_442479866686860.jpeg

So if that's a NSW or QLD club under the same arrangement they can just say - thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks.

Or if we were relocated to Tasmania...

"Ok you now get access to all children of Indigenous and Pacific Islander background on the Apple Isle".

As an aside how come we're getting SFA out of our Victorian zones? Collingwood and Hawthorn seem to be pulling prospects out of theirs.

"Ok you now get access to all children of Indigenous and Pacific Islander background on the Apple Isle".

As an aside how come we're getting SFA out of our Victorian zones? Collingwood and Hawthorn seem to be pulling prospects out of theirs.
Hawks have the entirety of Gippsland which is pretty much as prime footballing country as you can get, even if you were new to the country or indigenous you'd probably find yourself at a pretty competitive club. Collingwood have wealthy eastern Melbourne suburbs so would have access to the kids of rich immigrants who would be playing footy at Xavier and Wesley. We've probably got one of the poorest and newest parts of Melbourne, lacking a strong footballing tradition or wealthy migrants. I'm surprised that a Sudanese prospect from a place like Hopper's Crossing hasn't been on the radar yet though.

Hawks have the entirety of Gippsland which is pretty much as prime footballing country as you can get, even if you were new to the country or indigenous you'd probably find yourself at a pretty competitive club. Collingwood have wealthy eastern Melbourne suburbs so would have access to the kids of rich immigrants who would be playing footy at Xavier and Wesley. We've probably got one of the poorest and newest parts of Melbourne, lacking a strong footballing tradition or wealthy migrants. I'm surprised that a Sudanese prospect from a place like Hopper's Crossing hasn't been on the radar yet though.

Agree, I've spoke a bit about the zone issues through the country and how the 'big' clubs got more than their fair slice of the cake.

Thought the same on our zones though, thought they might be some raw athletic prospects out of ours but nada.

Agree, I've spoke a bit about the zone issues through the country and how the 'big' clubs got more than their fair slice of the cake.

Thought the same on our zones though, thought they might be some raw athletic prospects out of ours but nada.
Forgot to mention we got the CBD too ... A place famous for it's number of young migrant and indigenous families ...

Where are our zones?

So if that's a NSW or QLD club under the same arrangement they can just say - thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks.

100% correct.

Heeny, Mills, Hipwood, Campbell, Andrews.

30+ year old clubs with generations of father son potentials.

It's one gigantic rort.:mad::thumbsdown:

There's a chance that we could be big winners in the long run though. Guys like Chol, Daw and Aliir all lived in refugee camps before making their way to Australia. They probably couldn't have had a harder road to become professional Australian athletes. The children of Sudanese migrants who were born in Australia would probably have a much higher chance of being successful footballers. Someone like Maj, for example, has only been in Australia for 17 years. A sibling of his born soon after his family got here would be turning 18 in 2022.

Western suburbs football teams could well be dominated by players with Sudanese parents in 2030. The real question is will we still have academies in Wyndham then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a chance that we could be big winners in the long run though. Guys like Chol, Daw and Aliir all lived in refugee camps before making their way to Australia. They probably couldn't have had a harder road to become professional Australian athletes. The children of Sudanese migrants who were born in Australia would probably have a much higher chance of being successful footballers. Someone like Maj, for example, has only been in Australia for 17 years. A sibling of his born soon after his family got here would be turning 18 in 2022.

Western suburbs football teams could well be dominated by players with Sudanese parents in 2030. The real question is will we still have academies in Wyndham then?

Don't be silly. They'll be bulldogs territory by then.

Despite the carry on that is taking place on the Adelaide board around getting a band 1 compensation pick for Crouch - SEN calling a spade a spade. It's not happening.

Sorry to intrude but I think it's worth adding that Crouch is currently on $650k to $700k, so 'valuing him at $500k' is unlikely, and second that Gerard Whately is a massive Geelong fan, and who are looking to pick him up? Geelong, Essendon, Sydney. It's just a game being played out in the media, and unfortunately not as transparent and even-toned an article as it first appears.

Perhaps the truth is somewhere between Adelaide and Geelongs' perspective?

785+465=1250, that isn't worth more than 1329.

I assume Crows wont bid #1 on JUH which means we are in the box seat to bid pick 2 on him forcing the dogs to pay 2014 points for him.

IF they trade their first pick to us we might find that JUH perhaps isn't worthy of pick 2 and not bid on him, this would mean he would likely get nominated with pick 3, this would also save the Dogs an additional 226 points equivalent to third round pick number 54 as an added bonus. That would increase your above scenario from 1250 to 1476 but it will smell fishy if the Dogs trade pick 11 for less than it's points value.

Some clubs have asked the AFL to exempt from the 3 pick minimum this year due to expected list size reduction, if the AFL do allow clubs to take fewer than 3 players this year then I assume other clubs will have a lot more points to offer the dogs than we do.
Ugh. My maths. In my brain that was 1350. But agree that just scraping past their points value is unlikely to be enough.

Genuine chance Callow is there at our Essendon 2nd rounder but hard to see us selecting him if we go Logan McDonald with pick 2 if Adelaide don't take him.

Sorry to intrude but I think it's worth adding that Crouch is currently on $650k to $700k, so 'valuing him at $500k' is unlikely, and second that Gerard Whately is a massive Geelong fan, and who are looking to pick him up? Geelong, Essendon, Sydney. It's just a game being played out in the media, and unfortunately not as transparent and even-toned an article as it first appears.

Yeah.. You're not getting band 1 tho.

Gerard's view sounds about right to me. Just because he is currently on $650k doesn't mean he is worth that.

Genuine chance Callow is there at our Essendon 2nd rounder but hard to see us selecting him if we go Logan McDonald with pick 2 if Adelaide don't take him.

Unfortunately for Jackson, he’s a Melbourne supporter… and they’re all over him like a cheap suit! In fact his whole family are paid up Melbourne members

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back