Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They aren’t the tea leaves I’m reading.

Between Brisbane’s recruitment manager interview, the journo’s etc most haven’t mentioned him in the top 5 consistently when talking about it.

I'm noticing this too which is really surprising. I think recruiters are viewing Phillips as a known commodity with a limited ceiling in comparison to other mids who may be taller or more athletic and they view as having a greater scope for development.

I really can't see Essendon passing on Phillips. He's basically the exact type of player they've been crying out for since Watson finished up so although the draft is still so unknown this far out, I really can't see him sliding past Essendon which is a tad depressing.

I'm noticing this too which is really surprising. I think recruiters are viewing Phillips as a known commodity with a limited ceiling in comparison to other mids who may be taller or more athletic and they view as having a greater scope for development.

He has the the highest ceiling of any midfielder right now though, right?

Hollands would be great sure, but will he be a midfielder? If so, and I had to guess, then I'd reckon he would be a winger

I really can't see Essendon passing on Phillips. He's basically the exact type of player they've been crying out for since Watson finished up so although the draft is still so unknown this far out, I really can't see him sliding past Essendon which is a tad depressing.

Aaarrgghhh!

I have a lot of scum supporter mates that would disagree Souup - They have a lot of mids on the shorter side, and would be more interested in an O'Driscoll, taller mid.

Hollands would be great sure, but will he be a midfielder? If so, and I had to guess, then I'd reckon he would be a winger

Aaarrgghhh!

Nah,

Hollands wouldn't be a winger if he went midfield.

He's a very powerful young kid and big through his core.

His body shape isn't unlike Dustin Martins as an u/18 tbh.

As for his knee, he did it in pre-season, so it's likely he would be ready to play by about round 5ish imo. Remembering Perez had a bit of a setback, he entered full training before the first shutdown near the St Kilda game then didn't re-enter main training for another 3 months or so. He will play plenty of football next year and tbh we should be looking to play Tarryn more through the midfield next year anyway, Hollands could fill that role.

Have a look at GR's highlights video of him again and let me know if you think he's a left or right footer.

The best kick of the football in this draft are: #1: Elijah Hollands right foot, #2: Elijah Hollands left foot....

With his decision making, poise, cleanness in traffic, kicking penetration etc, he's the most damaging player with the ball in hand in this draft and it's not even close.

I compare Hollands to a more freakish/damaging version of Hugh McCluggage, however with less midfield runs on the board at the same age and the ACL.

Last edited:

Aaarrgghhh!

If you were looking at who would be most likely to make an impact in Rd 1 2021, it'd be Phillips ahead of any of the other potential midfielders. Looking down the track a few years, the whole Hollands package is hard to go past.

I have a lot of scum supporter mates that would disagree Souup - They have a lot of mids on the shorter side, and would be more interested in an O'Driscoll, taller mid.

I really hope so mate! My personal view is what they've been struggling to find is your contested ball and clearance winning inside mid - size of the midfielder wasn't so much what I would be looking for as much as their ability to win clearances and the contested ball.

I'm not an Essendon supporter so I'd take their analysis of their list over mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope so mate! My personal view is what they've been struggling to find is your contested ball and clearance winning inside mid - size of the midfielder wasn't so much what I would be looking for as much as their ability to win clearances and the contested ball.

I'm not an Essendon supporter so I'd take their analysis of their list over mine.
They have a positive clearance differential for the year, with McGrath and Shiel at almost 5 a game and Parish over 4 per game, and with Shortsetppell to come back. Their issue seems to be more getting cut up in transition. They are a bit gung ho like Richmond in their forward movement, but haven't got the defensive stuff down yet.

They do strike me as being light on KPP though, even moreso if Daniderp goes, so they could be looking for something there. Hooker cooked, Hurley 30, McKernan 30 and most of the others on the short side for KPP's. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go in that direction at their pick. Thilthorpe could eb an option for them, however given there seem to be some good KPP options around pick 9-15 we could possibly work a trade with them for our Melbourne pick and a 2nd rounder, either this years or next. That way they pick a KPP at a value range more appropriate and get a second dip a little later.

Anyways, I hope like * they don't take Phillips.

They have a positive clearance differential for the year, with McGrath and Shiel at almost 5 a game and Parish over 4 per game, and with Shortsetppell to come back. Their issue seems to be more getting cut up in transition. They are a bit gung ho like Richmond in their forward movement, but haven't got the defensive stuff down yet.

They do strike me as being light on KPP though, even moreso if Daniderp goes, so they could be looking for something there. Hooker cooked, Hurley 30, McKernan 30 and most of the others on the short side for KPP's. It wouldn't surprise me to see them go in that direction at their pick. Thilthorpe could eb an option for them, however given there seem to be some good KPP options around pick 9-15 we could possibly work a trade with them for our Melbourne pick and a 2nd rounder, either this years or next. That way they pick a KPP at a value range more appropriate and get a second dip a little later.

Anyways, I hope like fu** they don't take Phillips.

Essendon are ****ed.

Their spine age demographic is completely at odds with their young emerging midfielders.

By the time they finally build the midfield they have been seeking for 10 years, they are going to have to replace the spine that they have been trying to compliment for those same 10 years.

They should just concentrate on the midfield then try and nab a few KPP in FA in a few years.

Essendon are f’ed.

Their spine age demographic is completely at odds with their young emerging midfielders.

By the time they finally build the midfield they have been seeking for 10 years, they are going to have to replace the spine that they have been trying to compliment for those same 10 years.

They should just concentrate on the midfield then try and nab a few KPP in FA in a few years.

Read this and learn people.

In a root & branch rebuild, you ALWAYS get the bookends in place BEFORE you go luring midfielders.

Essendon are f’ed.

Yeah but Dodoro, so hopefully they do the opposite.

Read this and learn people.

In a root & branch rebuild, you ALWAYS get the bookends in place BEFORE you go luring midfielders.

Essendon did do that, they invested in Hooker, Hurley, Danniher, Francis etc. Their problem is that the first wave of midfielders they got (Heppell, Melkshem, Kavanagh, Langford, Laverde are all similar types and not really up to being the #1 midfielder).

Merrett is/was a super young player, but again not a player to build the midfield around.

Parish looks to be finally coming good and McGrath will be a super player for them.

Dildo just loves drafting the same medium, not inside, not outside type of midfielder. McGrath's saving grace was he was drafted as a defender but has elite speed. He needed the #1 pick to do it though and Taranto was sitting there at #2.

Souup could be right in the fact, whilst Phillips is more inside than any of them, his body shape and size is very similar to what they already have. They may lean towards wanting a 190+ midfielder that is going to fill out into a big inside mid. They haven't had that since Watson really.

To me then we would have to trade for a ball getter then if we don't grab Phillips... clearly seen this year without cunners we need another extractor to get to LDU and sympkin.... are we still thinking Campbell is worth a bid at two and potentially having to take at two?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Essendon did do that, they invested in Hooker, Hurley, Danniher, Francis etc. Their problem is that the first wave of midfielders they got (Heppell, Melkshem, Kavanagh, Langford, Laverde are all similar types and not really up to being the #1 midfielder).

Merrett is/was a super young player, but again not a player to build the midfield around.

Parish looks to be finally coming good and McGrath will be a super player for them.

Dildo just loves drafting the same medium, not inside, not outside type of midfielder. McGrath's saving grace was he was drafted as a defender but has elite speed. He needed the #1 pick to do it though and Taranto was sitting there at #2.

Souup could be right in the fact, whilst Phillips is more inside than any of them, his body shape and size is very similar to what they already have. They may lean towards wanting a 190+ midfielder that is going to fill out into a big inside mid. They haven't had that since Watson really.

Fair enough. A question while you're here.

Would you entertain trading our 2021 1st round pick for Gold Coasts pick 5?

All they had to do was let Hooker go through Free Agency to Freo that year and the offer was big enough to get 1st round compo that would've landed them Tarranto as well

All they had to do was let Hooker go through Free Agency to Freo that year and the offer was big enough to get 1st round compo that would've landed them Tarranto as well

They care more about winning trading than winning games.

Bellchambers is done & Daniher looks to be out the door, so logic tells you they should look at Tilthorpe and reset their spine over the next couple of drafts.

They won't. They're always one year away from winning the flag. :D

Elliot. *******. Kavanagh.

LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back