Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I'll point out about Phillips is his low centre of gravity. Very rarely goes to ground and is excellent at keeping his feet in the contest.

If you think about some of the best midfielders in the AFL over the last 20 years or so they've got one thing in common - extremely hard to tackle and very rarely go to ground because they keep their feet in the contest. Just a few names that come to mind with this trait - Judd, Ablett, Sam + Tom Mitchell, Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Dustin Martin... even our own Ben Cunnington.

I've been going on about Phillips being our man for a while now and this trait in addition to his footy IQ, tackling and clean disposal puts him at the top of our list.

Last edited:

BINGO!

I'm detecting a long trunk to hips to feet ratio also, and a bulls neck already at 18. Strength over the ball and balance. Great contested ball genetics.

He's going to be incredibly powerful once he hits the mid 20's.

Some previous similar body morphology types:

1595981313613.png 1595981265000.png

BINGO!

I'm detecting a long trunk to hips to feet ratio also, and a bulls neck already at 18. Strength over the ball and balance. Great contested ball genetics.

He's going to be incredibly powerful once he hits the mid 20's.

Some previous similar body morphology types:

View attachment 922020View attachment 922019

The current player with the best example of that:

1595981503530.png

We're lucky to likely have such a high pick. McDonald, Hollands or Phillips seem to be as close to sure things you get in a draft. Sounds like it then drops off and then 15 players later it drops off again badly. Going to be some bad busts likely among the later first round picks. Pick 10 onwards might end up very speculative, especially if you don't have academy prospects.

We're lucky to likely have such a high pick. McDonald, Hollands or Phillips seem to be as close to sure things you get in a draft. Sounds like it then drops off and then 15 players later it drops off again badly. Going to be some bad busts likely among the later first round picks. Pick 10 onwards might end up very speculative, especially if you don't have academy prospects.

I can't see us playing friendly with 1st round picks this year, unless we got the mother of all offers.

Based on very little knowledge, then Phillips + Grainger-Barrass/Hollands/Tilthorpoe looks the go from our list needs perspective.

Say Pykie, are there any decent ruck/KPD spec prospects around the range of our 2nd round (pick ~28)?

My assessment is that there are 6 guys in a tier of their own at the top. Thilthorpe, Phillips, JUH, DHB, Hollands and McDonald (that's my personal ordering of the 6). I don't think there's much that separates them. Some are riskier than others (Hollands and McDonald the riskiest of the lot, but could be argued their ceilings are the highest), but overall I think they're in a tier together based on their potential and/or exposed form. I'm not sure I'm going to waiver from my opinion that Thilthorpe is the best in this draft group - has everything you want in a tall and the sky's the limit regarding his potential and flexibility regarding position (could play as a ruck, wingmen or key forward)

After that I've got guys like Campbell, Trew, O'Driscoll, Brunh, Henry and Dumesny (I rate him a lot higher than others, big fan of him) who are a tier below.

As the season continues to unfold there may be more that rise into the top tier, however at this point I personally think it's those 6 and then the rest.

I'd expect some tactical shuffling to make a bit more collateral.

Most likely coming from the academy/FS beneficiaries.

I want us to hold them to the torch if they come knocking on our door. North & Adelaide hold power over this draft, and we need to * over Sydney if they land just behind us. The Blakey outrage must be avenged.

I want us to hold them to the torch if they come knocking on our door. North & Adelaide hold power over this draft.

I'd add Geelong to that as well. Three first rounders, no matter where they fall, is a big hand

I'd add Geelong to that as well. Three first rounders, no matter where they fall, is a big hand

They will be back in the pack though.

North & Adelaide will dictate the cream.

Oh yeah, would probably be the early favourite for next years RS imo.

Rowell will still be eligible so if he’s favourite over him we’d have landed the second coming of Jesus Christ. Fingers crossed! 🤞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we are going with a defensive midfielder and FB in Phillips & DGB. I’m going with Hollands & Logan. Is Reid any good as a later pick KDB

I want us to hold them to the torch if they come knocking on our door. North & Adelaide hold power over this draft, and we need to fu** over Sydney if they land just behind us. The Blakey outrage must be avenged.
Much as I'd love to, trading our first for theirs plus their R1 next year, as has been suggested earlier, is a no brainer for both clubs. If for some reason they don't go for it we bid on Campbell.

Much as I'd love to, trading our first for theirs plus their R1 next year, as has been suggested earlier, is a no brainer for both clubs. If for some reason they don't go for it we bid on Campbell.

Mmmm maybe.

Depends how clubs rate Campbell. Top 10, definitely, but will a bid fall after our pick is to be seen. Usually, academy/nga/fs picks have been bid later than they should do.

Bit of a risk in it from our end on losing out on top 10 pick next year with a very good top end who will likely have exposed form.

On Roos front, reckon you would be looking very closely at McDonald.

GR can you tell me who player is that kicked ball from the 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back