Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your issues with him.
Has the Ziebells about him in the contest where he tends to blaze away and kick long blindly around his body unnecessarily. He's a bit cleaner off half back when he has the field before him but I'm not sure what his role at AFL level will be as he's not elite with ball in hand and he's not quick.

In addition to this he's not a high possession getter and struggles with spread from the contest.

Sure he's hard at it and is a good size but if you're playing midfield you need more strings to your bow than 'good size, aggressive'.

Last edited:

Has the Ziebells about him in the contest where he tends to blaze away and kick long blindly around his body unnecessarily. He's a bit cleaner off half back when he has the field before him but I'm not sure what his role at AFL level will be as he's not elite with ball in hand and he's not quick.

In addition to this he's not a high possession getter and struggles with spread from the contest.

Sure he's hard at it and is a good size but if you're playing midfield you need more strings to your bow than 'good size, aggressive'.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Good size and agressive is not what we need in a midfielder. Any mids we get need to be able to cover the ground and use it.

Corey Durdin

Coached a football team against this bloke. Was in second gear and dominated from the midfield - good skills and agile. I think he's unfortunately too small to play midfield at AFL level but will make a very good small forward in the Brett Daniel mold as I mentioned in the trade thread.

Should be there at our third pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to be fascinated by the makup of the players we take more so than the players themselves.

Are we going 2 x mids, 1 x KPP & 1 x mid or even 2 x KPP's?

This is a particularly strong year for KPP's.

Are we going to be tempted by McDonald at 2 or 3?

Could we get McDonald and DGB and bring in two WA kids?

Do we stray away from that for the go home factor? (We have a decent core of young WA kids in Zurhaar, Hayden etc).

Do we take a Hollands and Phillips combo?

Do we take a KPD in DGB or Cox?

Normally our needs are pretty clear, however we are lacking all over the park, it's the first year in a decade I can't really predict how the club will lean and begin this rebuild.

I'm going to be fascinated by the makup of the players we take more so than the players themselves.

Do we stray away from that for the go home factor? (We have a decent core of young WA kids in Zurhaar, Hayden etc).

Normally our needs are pretty clear, however we are lacking all over the park, it's the first year in a decade I can't really predict how the club will lean and begin this rebuild.

Seriously need class accumulating mids with good ball use.
KPD stop gaps can be found like walker and just look at freos undersized defence getting the job done.
Plus after wasting a first rounder on durdin - I don’t want to waste 6 years on someone that might come good.

Prefer us to take the best Vic. kids.

Seriously need class accumulating mids with good ball use.
KPD stop gaps can be found like walker and just look at freos undersized defence getting the job done.
Plus after wasting a first rounder on durdin - I don’t want to waste 6 years on someone that might come good.

I can see that, there's another theory though that given the longer development time of KPP's, get them early, that way when you take your mids they all come on at a similar time.

We also aren't talking about Durdin a pick in the late teens.

I'm only advocating one of the best 2-3 KPP's in a draft. The absolute cream, generally where the best forwards have emerged from.

I'm warming to the idea of taking McDonald, only really with the view of hitting the very top of 2021 draft hard which is stacked with quality midfielders.

I also probably wouldn't be labelling Freo as some sort of copy book case.

Richmond, GWS, Geelong, WC all have outstanding elite KPP's. Most of whom were all top picks themselves.

I can see that, there's another theory though that given the longer development time of KPP's, get them early, that way when you take your mids they all come on at a similar time.

We also aren't talking about Durdin a pick in the late teens.

I'm only advocating one of the best 2-3 KPP's in a draft. The absolute cream, generally where the best forwards have emerged from.

I'm warming to the idea of taking McDonald, only really with the view of hitting the 2021 draft hard which is stacked with quality midfielders.

I also probably wouldn't be labelling Freo as some sort of copy book case.

Richmond, GWS, Geelong, WC all have outstanding elite KPP's. Most of whom were all top picks themselves.

Yeah if we trade brown , grabbing McDonald who sounds like the best kpf and grabbing a couple of mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back