Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ll probably never have another one. Surprising I know given the indigenous and multi cultural hotbed that Tasmania is. It was a miracle that Tarryn ******* moved there from NSW.
His extended family is Tasmanian aboriginal and he still has cousins down here playing football, Rhyan would have been not too far off being rookied. Alex Pearce, Brady Grey, Kieran Lovell and Liam Jones would have all been eligible that I can think of off the top of my head. Ian Callinan and Darryn Cresswell's kids will be eligible too in a few years if they are good enough.

But your overall point is kind of right, Tasmania probably the least culturally diverse state in australia :grimacing:

Ollie Davis is the one to watch!
giphy.gif

“After one year, it is far too early to make judgment on AFL Tasmania’s new full-time program, especially as it has to restart in just its second year with a new coach, former North Melbourne football manager Cameron Joyce.”

Wat?

“After one year, it is far too early to make judgment on AFL Tasmania’s new full-time program, especially as it has to restart in just its second year with a new coach, former North Melbourne football manager Cameron Joyce.”

Wat?
Cam Joyce is the new coach of the Tassie Devils team in the NAB league.

Devils named in NAB AFL Academy Allies squad

Devils named in NAB AFL Academy Allies squad

Five Tasmania Devils have been named in the initial 30-player NAB AFL National Academy Allies squad for 2020.
Sam Banks (Clarence)
, Jackson Callow (North Launceston), Sam Collins (North Hobart), Oliver Davis (Clarence) and Patrick Walker (North Hobart) have all been named in the squad that is made up of the best young talent from New South Wales / Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

Callow, Collins and Davis all got a taste for Allies action in 2019, while fellow draft-age player Walker and bottom-ager Banks have been named in the Allies squad for the first time.

Davis, the Tasmania Devils co-captain in 2019, took out the Best & Fairest and Midfielder of the Year awards at last week’s Devils Awards Night, while Callow took home the Forward of the Year award as well as Runner Up in the Best & Fairest.

Patrick Walker (seventh) and Sam Collins (10th) also featured inside the top 10, while rising star Sam Banks took home the U16 Best & Fairest Award in a year that also saw him claim the Alan McLean Medal as the U16 Division 2 Championships MVP, play eight NAB League games and two senior Bupa TSL games with Clarence.

Patrick Walker impressed as a bottom-ager in 2019. IC: Solstice Digital

The recently expanded NAB AFL Academy program will see 150 players across each state and territory take part in high performance camps focusing on players on and off-field education.

All five NAB AFL Academy Squads will come together for the first camps in the coming weeks, with the Allies squad training at AFL clubs from throughout November and December.

AFL National Talent Pathways Manager Marcus Ashcroft said it is an exciting time for the country’s best young talent.

“The new approach to the national NAB AFL Academy, introduced for the first time in 2018, will again ensure more of our most talented players have access to AFL facilities, while receiving the best quality coaching, high performance and well-being services in the country,” he said.

Sam Collins and Jackson Callow both took part in the U17 Rising Stars curtain-raiser on AFL Grand Final Day.

“Importantly these players will spend more time in their home states, with year-round first-class support that will enhance their opportunity to perform at an elite level.

“I congratulate all players who have been named in their NAB AFL Academy Squads today and I look forward to watching their development over the next few years.”

The best Under-17 and Under-18 players from the state academies will also have the opportunity to attend national camps. These activities include:
  • NAB AFL Under-17 Futures players to spend a week at an AFL club (December 2019)
  • The best 24 Under-18 players to represent Australia against VFL opposition (April 2020)
  • The best 24 Under-17 players to represent Australia against New Zealand (April 2020)
  • NAB AFL Under-17 Futures Game (2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final Day)
This year marks the 23rd NAB AFL Academy intake. Since its inception in 1997, 515 NAB AFL Academy players (81 per cent of all NAB AFL Academy players) have been drafted to AFL clubs.

No 32 under 17 ? really, a birth certificate check could be in order

The NGA’s being linked to a club is laughable.

The AFL should run all academies in each state and those players should be able to be selected by anyone.
I like it like it is now, I have no other reason to go for an AFL team. But the Tassie connection with North Melbourne is kind of cool.

A little gif I made of Sam Banks from earlier in the season :)
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Not NGA

Our NGA is for Indigenous kids from Tassie only I think.

And multicultural players as well. Pykie posted the criteria earlier in this thread. Doing a bit of research and just trying to get it confirmed but it seems like he has Asian heritage.

And multicultural players as well. Pykie posted the criteria earlier in this thread. Doing a bit of research and just trying to get it confirmed but it seems like he has Asian heritage.

How far back in his family tree have you got? Find something will ya!!

Doing a bit of research and just trying to get it confirmed but it seems like he has Asian heritage.

Nice!

[So your telling me there’s a chance GIF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back