Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course but I'm still waiting for that official confirmation.

Can a player opt out of an academy?

Yes they can.

Bailey Scott as an example.

If you mean an NGA academy, you probably can, I don’t see why you would though, especially from a marginal drafted state like Tassie.

The NGA Tasmanian Academy isn’t set up like the Northern Academies where there is literally no other pathway except through than the academies now.

The NSW and QLD u/18 state sides have been abolished.

The Tasmanian one exists and it is separate from the North academy.

ABC.NET.AU

Another year, another thin AFL draft for the Apple Isle. Where is all the Tasmanian talent?

There is some light at the end of the tunnel, though. By all reports, a bumper crop of 18-year-olds is expected to be picked up next year.
Callow, Collins, Chugg, Davis and Walker are some of the names already being touted.

For those playing at home, the players who are tied in that list:

1575274046523.png

Joel Jeffrey is supposedly a freak and now GC get him for nothing because of the newly awarded concessions.

He is going to be awesome.

I’m convinced that Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will be the first picked in this next draft. His contested marking above his shoulders while are full stretch is arguably the best I’ve seen from a junior.

He is going to be awesome.

I’m convinced that Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will be the first picked in this next draft. His contested marking above his shoulders while are full stretch is arguably the best I’ve seen from a junior.

No doubt he will be.

Gold Coast will have the pick again and he isn't tied to a Northern Academy, so no internal rorting and looking after each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Baldwin draftable to the crows via NGA? Or just like how Oniel was part of our academy? The crows supporters don’t seem to think he is available to them.

Put him in there, but unconfirmed atm.

View attachment 788222

A suburban kid that hasn't been gentrified. Amazing.
EDDIE FORD (Western Jets)

187cm, 80kg / 12 NAB League games in 2019

“Eddie has a bit of X-factor about him. He likes to roam the wings and the flanks at both ends of the ground, and if he gets a chance then he can take a very exciting mark. He’ll likely play across half-forward and on a wing because he loves to kick a goal.”

“Eddie has a bit of X-factor about him. He likes to roam the wings and the flanks at both ends of the ground, and if he gets a chance then he can take a very exciting mark. He’ll likely play across half-forward and on a wing because he loves to kick a goal.”

We'll take him with the scums 2nd rounder mate. :thumbsu:

VIC COUNTRY PLAYERS TO WATCH

Comments from Vic Country Academy Coaching Director Leigh Brown.

JOSH TREACY (Bendigo Pioneers)

193cm, 88kg / 13 NAB League games in 2019

“Josh is a key forward and his strengths are his hit-up leading and marking, and his aggression. He’s strong in the contest and we like his attack on the footy. We’re happy with how his season has progressed and he was added into the Vic Country under-18 squad as a bottom-ager.”

DEAKYN SMITH (Dandenong Stingrays)

179cm, 65kg / seven NAB League games in 2019

“Deakyn is a Caulfield Grammar boy so we haven’t seen a heap of him at NAB League level this year, but his form in school footy has been really good. He can play inside or outside the contest and his body is developing well. He got a taste of Vic Country under-16s last year.”

OLIVER HENRY (Geelong Falcons)

186cm, 72kg / 13 NAB League games in 2019

“Oliver is the brother of (Geelong AFL player) Jack Henry. He’s a clever and versatile player who has had some big games playing both forward and back this season. We’ll probably start him at half-back, but anyone who can mark the ball and kick five goals in a game (as he did in Round 3) has some real weapons in the front half too.”

SAM BERRY (Gippsland Power)

180cm, 82kg / six NAB League games in 2019

“Sam attends Melbourne Grammar, where he was the footy team’s equal-best-and-fairest this year. He’s a strong-bodied midfielder who can get out of traffic really well and break the lines, but he can also take a strong mark. We’re looking forward to seeing his burst away from congestion in the middle of the ground.”

HARRY SHARP (GWV Rebels)

184cm, 70kg / nine NAB League games in 2019

“Harry has some real speed. He has an athletics background and his running is his strength, but he also has some goal sense. His ability to break the lines means we’ll likely play him on a wing or off half-back. He’s still only young – he has a December birthday – so we think he has a lot of upside.”

ZAVIER MAHER (Murray Bushrangers)

183cm, 82kg / four NAB League games in 2019

“Zavier is coming back from a knee injury suffered last year. He’s had a really strong season at Caulfield Grammar and has played some good games for Murray as well. He’ll play mainly through the midfield and probably a little bit off half-back and half-forward. We’re looking for him to be strong in the contest and take the game on.”

VIC METRO PLAYERS TO WATCH

Comments from Vic Metro Academy Coaching Director Brett Allison.

JACKSON CARDILLO (Calder Cannons)

185cm, 77kg / 14 NAB League games in 2019

“Jackson is a really versatile player who can impact the game from a wing, at half-forward or as an inside midfielder. He’s a really good mark for his size with good hands overhead and he also knows how to hit the scoreboard. He’s played every match for the Cannons so far this season.”

WIL PARKER (Eastern Ranges)

180cm, 76kg / 12 NAB League games in 2019

“Wil has played a fair bit of NAB League footy this year. He can play across half-back or on a wing and he reads the ball really well. He has the ability to win one-on-one contests and then use the ball very well by foot to help set up the play for his team.”

LIAM McMAHON (Northern Knights)

193cm, 78kg / 12 NAB League games in 2019

“Liam is a developing tall forward who is still trying to find consistency in his game and his exposure at NAB League level this year has given him a taste of what he needs to focus on for next season. He has good hands out in front on the lead and is capable of winning one-on-one marking contests.”

REEF McINNES (Oakleigh Chargers)

192cm, 83kg / eight NAB League games in 2019

“Reef has the ability to impact the game in all three areas of the ground. We’ll probably play him mainly on the ball as a taller midfielder, but he can also control the game well playing across half-back with his marking strength and his ability to set up play.”

JAKE BOWEY (Sandringham Dragons)

173cm, 65kg / 11 NAB League games in 2019

“Jake has had a pretty good NAB League season. He’s small in stature but very lively and clean below his knees, with really good speed and a very damaging kick. He can play on a wing, on the ball or as a crumbing forward. He’s the son of (ex-St Kilda 85-gamer) Brett Bowey.”

Replay of U17 All stars game

Team lists + jumper numbers for anyone who wants to watch this again

TEAM BROWN
1 Jake BoweySandringham Dragons
2 Braeden CampbellSwans Academy
3 Taj SchofieldWoodville West Torrens
4 Noah GribbleGeelong Falcons
5 Blake ColemanLions Academy
6 Will PhillipsOakleigh Chargers
7 Brandon WalkerEast Fremantle
8 Eddie FordWestern Jets
16 Connor DownieEastern Ranges
17 Saxon CrozierLions Academy
18 Luke EdwardsGlenelg
19 Sam CollinsNorth Hobart
20 Elijah HollandsMurray Bushrangers
21 Blake MorrisSubiaco
22 Joel JeffreyWanderers
23 James BorlaseSturt
24 Nick StevensGWV Rebels
25 Reef McInnesOakleigh Chargers
31 Josh TreacyBendigo Pioneers
32 Logan McDonaldPerth
33 Jamarra Ugle-HaganOakleigh Chargers
34 Riley ThilthorpeWest Adelaide
35 Shannon NealeSouth Fremantle
36 Zach ReidGippsland Power

TEAM DAL SANTO
1 Errol GuldenSwans Academy
2 Joel WesternClaremont
3 Corey DurdinCentral Districts
4 Wil ParkerEastern Ranges
5 Finlay MacraeOakleigh Chargers
6 Tanner BruhnGeelong Falcons
7 Zavier MaherMurray Bushrangers
8 Nathan O'DriscollPerth
9 Zac DumesnySouth Adelaide
10 Jack CarrollEast Fremantle
16 Archie PerkinsSandringham Dragons
17 Lachlan JonesWoodville West Torrens
18 Oliver HenryGeelong Falcons
19 Carter MichaelLions Academy
20 Brodie LakeSouthern Districts / Peel
21 Alex DaviesSuns Academy
22 Heath ChapmanWest Perth
31 Joshua GreenGiants Academy
32 Jackson CallowNorth Launceston
33 Ollie LordSandringham Dragons
34 Cody BrandCalder Cannons
35 Nikolas CoxNorthern Knights
36 Henry WalshGeelong Falcons
37 Henry SmithWoodville West Torrens

Meet Riley Thilthorpe — the 17-year-old West Adelaide young gun in line to be the first player picked in the 2020 AFL Draft
He made his SANFL league debut just days after his 17th birthday and his coach says ‘you won’t find a better package’. But 2020 No. 1 pick contender Riley Thilthorpe — who will be on show at the MCG on Saturday — won’t be lost in the hype.

The Phantom, The Advertiser

Remember the name Riley Thilthorpe.

He’s the 17-year-old West Adelaide young gun who is in line to be the first player picked in next year’s AFL Draft.

The 199cm big man made his SANFL league debut just days after his 17th birthday and booted eight goals from six senior appearances in 2019.

Thilthorpe has played — and dominated — as a ruckman at under-18 level but he also fancies himself as a midfielder.

And with his elite endurance and ability to win the ball on the ground, it’s not hard to see why.

“With a combination of attributes, talent and work-rate, you’re not going to find a much better package, I don’t think,” West Adelaide talent and development manager Paul Streatfield says.

“His ability to adapt to multiple roles is probably the best that I’ve seen.”

Riley Thilthorpe celebrates a goal with West Adelaide teammate Kenny Karpany at league level. Picture: Dean Martin/AAP

Riley Thilthorpe celebrates a goal with West Adelaide teammate Kenny Karpany at league level. Picture: Dean Martin/AAP

The praise isn’t just internal, either, with Thilthorpe’s name well and truly in the top-pick conversation among AFL recruiters.

But you won’t see the Goodwood Saints junior being lost in the hype in 2020.

“It’s just outside noise, to be honest. I’ve still got another year of footy and I’m here at Westies next year so I’ll take it one step at a time,” Thilthorpe said as he prepares to play in the Under-17 NAB All Stars futures match at the MCG on grand final day.

It sounds cliché but there’s not one hint of an ego in Thilthorpe’s voice as describes how he will handle the next 12 months.

After suffering an anterior subluxation in his left shoulder earlier in the year and a badly sprained ankle in June — an injury which saw him miss the under-18 national carnival — the strong-marking right-footer just wants to play footy in 2020.

“The main goal is to play the full season, get through without injury and play a consistent year,” Thilthorpe said.

“I’m just trying to be the best I can, I’m not really fussed about what people think of me.”

It’s Thilthorpe’s want — and reason — to play senior football, however, which speaks volume about his character.

“It’s great being out there with footballers who are better than you, stronger than you, faster than you, it makes you know what you need to work on,” Thilthorpe explained.

Streatfield echoes the assessment of Thilthorpe, describing his maturity as “well over and above what we’d expect from someone at this age”.

At one stage mid-season, however, the year appeared it would play out very differently.

Both Thilthorpe and Streatfield feared the worst when the Adelaide High year 11 student hurt his ankle in June.

“We were nervous when he injured his ankle that it might have been his year over — we didn’t know,” Streatfield recalls.

“But he came back very quickly on the back of hard work.”

After taking eight contested marks and booting 3.3 against Norwood in the under-18s, in a performance Stretfield labels “his breakout game at junior level”, Thilthorpe was called in to Gavin Colville’s league side the following week, skipping the reserves altogether.
“It was unreal. I never thought I’d be there after the start to the year I had — I just wanted to be playing footy again,” Thilthorpe said.

For Thilthorpe, who finished with three goals in his second game, the challenge was more “mental than physical” but there weren’t many around the club surprised at the ease in which he handled the transition.

“It was probably a quicker jump than many expected but I’m not surprised because Riley works really hard to be as good as he possibly can be,” Streatfield said.

Teammate — and top 2019 draft prospect — Will Day agrees, speaking highly of the player he believes will be a “top-three pick next year”.

“Not only are his physical attributes impressive but him mentally, the way he works, you see him doing extras in the gym, just strengthening every part of his body — whether he’s had an injury or not,” Day said.

This year’s likely No. 1 pick Matt Rowell was the best player on the ground in the Under-17 curtain-raiser in 2018 but Thilthorpe is just looking forward to the occasion and getting to know some of the other young stars around the country.

One of which is Western Bulldogs next-generation Adademy member Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, who has drawn comparison to superstar Lance Franklin and is another 2020 top-pick chance.

Thilthorpe admits he has plenty to work on over the next year and debate about where is best position is will continue.

“If you had asked me last year, I would’ve said forward but I didn’t mind the ruck as much this year,” Thilthorpe admitted.
“Longer term as a forward, pinch-hitting in the ruck” is Streatfield’s view.

“But Riley fancies himself as a bit of midfielder as well,” the under-18 coach added. “I think that’s why he likes playing in the ruck, he gets around the contest and he’s got the attributes to do it.”

“I love Patty Cripps — I think of myself as a bit of a midfielder. Watching him is exciting, how tall he is and how well he moves and the stuff he does,” Thilthorpe said.
Something many might be saying about him in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back