All Australian
Jun 13, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There are no others
Question for you all:

If the season does not continue like a lot of people suspect, does anyone have any idea on what the draft order will be?

Will it be based on 2019 ladder order?

I’m hearing some strong rumours that Gold Coast will be getting the chop, so if the above scenario plays out, we will end up with pick 1!!

I can’t see GC getting the chop unless the AFL is in dire, dire straits. Re the order, the AFL will bodge something up that may or may not reflect the previous year’s order. Pick 1 would be tasty though...

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Question for you all:

If the season does not continue like a lot of people suspect, does anyone have any idea on what the draft order will be?

Will it be based on 2019 ladder order?

I’m hearing some strong rumours that Gold Coast will be getting the chop, so if the above scenario plays out, we will end up with pick 1!!
GC wont get the chop, they will just murge with brisbane and become the Qld SunBear Lions.

Coalface

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2015
Jakarta
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fish Creek Football Club
Ignoring the draft order there's going to be a whole lot less Intel on this year's crop of kids.... Could be a lot more hit and miss.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
1585175939931.png

:neutral:

I suppose we'll just have to make do with ******* up the party for everybody else.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It was a gracious gesture for Hawthorn to give up Tassie I guess. All they got in exchange was:

The Hawthorn Football Club is very excited to be working in the Gippsland Power Talent Zone(VIC), Eastern Ranges Talent zone (VIC) and the Katherine region. (NT)

Lol, good luck finding any talented indigenous or multicultural players in those players, suckers.

171101-Jilkminggan.jpg

Doubt there's an eligible player amongst them. Keep looking hawks.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
It was a gracious gesture for Hawthorn to give up Tassie I guess. All they got in exchange was:

The Hawthorn Football Club is very excited to be working in the Gippsland Power Talent Zone(VIC), Eastern Ranges Talent zone (VIC) and the Katherine region. (NT)

Lol, good luck finding any talented indigenous or multicultural players in those players, suckers.

171101-Jilkminggan.jpg

Ironic given Hawthorn were seen as a WASP club for so many years.

The only talent we've looked like getting from Tassie is a kid who's family moved there from NSW. I'm still surprised that the AFL didn't try to tie him to one of their trust fund kids. Someone at AFL House clearly asleep at the wheel there.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Ironic given Hawthorn were seen as a WASP club for so many years.

The only talent we've looked like getting from Tassie is a kid who's family moved there from NSW. I'm still surprised that the AFL didn't try to tie him to one of their trust fund kids. Someone at AFL House clearly asleep at the wheel there.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Correct on all counts.

Tarryn Thomas was a complete and utter anomaly. Enjoy him because he's the only 1st rounder (or ND quality player) you're going to ever going to see from that pathway.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
The hilarious (or not so) thing is Ugle-Hagan is from the Bulldogs Ballarat zone.

He more than likely would of been our NGA had they not sniped the region off of us.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The hilarious (or not so) thing is Ugle-Hagan is from the Bulldogs Ballarat zone.

He more than likely would of been our NGA had they not sniped the region off of us.

He could be the next Mitch Thorp/Spencer White also at this point.

How bullish are you about him becoming elite?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
He could be the next Mitch Thorp/Spencer White also at this point.

How bullish are you about him becoming elite?

Just on Thorp, he's a good reminder you only need a small number of draft picks to become elite. Then you need a team of role players and a smart coach with a plan.

Hawks got lucky with Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead and Franklin.

But people forget they burnt top 10 picks on Brennan, Ellis, Dowler and Thorp in the same period.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
Just on Thorp, he's a good reminder you only need a small number of draft picks to become elite. Then you need a team of role players and a smart coach with a plan.

But people forget they burnt top 10 picks on Brennan, Ellis, Dowler and Thorp in the same period.
I think for the most part, our youth is pretty good. If we could get LDU to take the next step, as well as find a young key defender and ruckman, we’ll be establishing our core for the next generation. The question is, how patient can everyone be with Rhyce, knowing how 10 years with Brad Scott drained a lot of patience and hope for little reward.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Totally agree with this. Was watching the St Kilda VS Geelong game from Round 14 2009 last night. I couldn't believe a team with Zac Dawson, Jason Blake, Andrew Mcqualter, Clint Jones, Raph Clarke, Adam Schneider, Sam Gilbert and Farren Ray almost went undefeated over a season and were an exceptionally good team defensively. The team found success on the back of elite guys like Hayes, Montagna, Fisher, Riewoldt, Ball, Milne and Goddard with everyone else just playing their role.

You need 5-6 elite players and then craft the rest of the team around them. Richmond had/have Martin, Riewoldt, Rance, Grimes, Prestia and maybe throw in someone like a Vlastuin or Cotchin. West Coast had/have Hurn, McGovern, Yeo, Kennedy, Shuey and Kelly now.

I think our top 6 guys are actually up there when comparing them with the rest of league. Brown, Tarrant, Goldstein, Higgins and Cunnington are elite but we really need the role players to do their thing. Glaring weaknesses in our side are pressure small forwards (I don't think we need an elite small forward, we just need pressure) and quality back flankers.

If we can fill those 2 holes then I think improves our team a lot and we could challenge in the next 2 years. Problem is our best 6 guys are either in the middle of their prime or the back end of it. We need to start finding successors for Goldstein, Tarrant and Higgins if want to find sustained success over the next 5-10 years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oakleigh Roo

Debutant
Dec 6, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He’s not from the Ballarat zone is he? He’s from the Warrnambool zone

Correct on all counts.

Tarryn Thomas was a complete and utter anomaly. Enjoy him because he's the only 1st rounder (or ND quality player) you're going to ever going to see from that pathway.

Be nice if he ended being a HoF player for the League and in our top 10 ever.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

171101-Jilkminggan.jpg

and our club just cops it’s like usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back