Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Here is another of his defensive running from the Qualifying final.

1596167284883.png

king rising

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi Roo Fans,

Pardon the intrusion, with the race for Pick 1 hotting up, I was just curious to know what type of player would you be looking at for Pick 1? Is it as simple as taking Phillips? Or would you be looking at a tall?

Good luck (but not too much) this weekend.
Taking Phillips (IF) we secured pick 1 (which is highly unlikely), would be a disaster. He’s a meat and potatoes midfielder and probable 250 gamer due to his professionalism, but not that generational talent which you select with a Pick 1.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taking Phillips (IF) we secured pick 1 (which is highly unlikely), would be a disaster. He’s a meat and potatoes midfielder and probable 250 gamer due to his professionalism, but not that generational talent which you select with a Pick 1.

Just out of curiosity was that the type of discussion that was had when discussing Rowell vs Anderson?

Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Mavs, Sturt
Absolutely agree its unlikely...

Obviously, a lot of our fans are wanting Tilthorpe... I'm not personally sold.

I disagree that you don't take Phillips at 1... the last decade the only real x-factor player taken at Pick 1 is probably Rayner. I think most teams have stayed with the safe bet.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually couldn't disagree any more with this. I genuinely think Phillips would be at the top of our list and I'd have absolutely no issue in selecting him first overall

Last edited:

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Absolutely agree its unlikely...

Obviously, a lot of our fans are wanting Tilthorpe... I'm not personally sold.

I disagree that you don't take Phillips at 1... the last decade the only real x-factor player taken at Pick 1 is probably Rayner. I think most teams have stayed with the safe bet.
No idea what the club is thinking but if they throw the recruiting over to the BF board we'll probably be taking a gun mid with our pick and the best mid, HBF or CPD with Melbourne's pick. No one seems to be spruiking for Thilthorpe here.

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well given you have us bidding pick 1 for him, you'd have to assume we rate him the best in the draft, no?

And let's be honest, do you really think the Bulldogs haven't been planning for this for at least the last 12 months?

I doubt they go into a deficit.

You have to ask, if we had Pick 1 and bid on JUH, and the dogs didn't match would we be upset?

Honestly I don't think we would. So bid!

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Picking a 250 game midfielder sounds like exactly what we need to do.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Will be interesting to see what we do with Brown.

This move from Shaw may be bigger picture given the strength of the KPF’s at the top of the draft.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hi Roo Fans,

Pardon the intrusion, with the race for Pick 1 hotting up, I was just curious to know what type of player would you be looking at for Pick 1? Is it as simple as taking Phillips? Or would you be looking at a tall?

A midfielder.

Definitely not Tilthorpe.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Hi Roo Fans,

The best player with the most upside we can get our hands on. We need talent all over the park.

HakunaMatata

Debutant
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not one for 6-7 step trades but if we are to rebuild quickly it would be worth landing 3-4 top 20 picks this year. We know we will have 2 top 10, I'd offer Sydney our 2021 first for their first this year. Assuming it will be top 5 as expected. Can't allow them to select another player before Campbell so give them the option of us bidding on Campbell or take our deal and have fun next year death riding us. Throw in our 4th rounder for a few extra points for them

The next part is not likely as I think Brown will stay but purely from a heavy reset mindset I'll put it in anyway. Brown out for Brisbane's 2 first round picks (they own ports both will fall between the 14-18 range) with our essendon pick going back to them.

Send one of those to GWS for Caldwell assuming he wants to come back to vic.

With our picks select
2: Phillips
4: Hollands
5: Granger-Barras
15: Callow (Rate this kid)

Slight pipe dream but hey just a thought

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not one for 6-7 step trades but if we are to rebuild quickly it would be worth landing 3-4 top 20 picks this year. We know we will have 2 top 10, I'd offer Sydney our 2021 first for their first this year. Assuming it will be top 5 as expected. Can't allow them to select another player before Campbell so give them the option of us bidding on Campbell or take our deal and have fun next year death riding us. Throw in our 4th rounder for a few extra points for them

The next part is not likely as I think Brown will stay but purely from a heavy reset mindset I'll put it in anyway. Brown out for Brisbane's 2 first round picks (they own ports both will fall between the 14-18 range) with our essendon pick going back to them.

Send one of those to GWS for Caldwell assuming he wants to come back to vic.

With our picks select
2: Phillips
4: Hollands
5: Granger-Barras
15: Callow (Rate this kid)

Slight pipe dream but hey just a thought

Next years top end looks really good. It would be crazy to give up that pick. Imagine giving up pick 2 in a super top end draft.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haven't read to much into next year's draft. If that's the case fair enough. Just a hypothetical for those looking ahead

I like the idea of getting as many high picks as possible. Say we had pick 2, I’d look at trading it for 2 first rounders. Purely hypothetically. We start with picks 2 and 5.

We trade Brown to Collingwood for their first this year and next. We trade pick 2 for say pick 10 in 2020 and 10 in 2021. Next year we finish second last again.

Picks 5, 10, 15

Picks 2, 10, 15, 20 (our second rounder)

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jason Horne gets better every week. 24 touches, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 5 clearances and a goal this week as he looks more and more like the clear number 1 pick in a very strong draft group next year.

We really need to go full rebuild and stock up on draft picks for this year and next year.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Jason Horne gets better every week. 24 touches, 7 marks, 5 tackles, 5 clearances and a goal this week as he looks more and more like the clear number 1 pick in a very strong draft group next year.

We really need to go full rebuild and stock up on draft picks for this year and next year.

Get Bonar and Horne in the same team.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So did we play ourselves out of getting Hollands and Phillips?

Hollands would still be there IMO - really can't see Phillips slipping past the first 2 picks.

I'm warming more to a midfielder with our first pick (preferably Phillips, otherwise Hollands) and DGB with our second as the way to go. I really like the idea of picking up a defender who could develop to be a McGovern (exceptional intercept player) or Grimes-type (lock down on smalls or talls). DGB has the attributes to be anything you want in defense.

Shaw has made it clear that he's a defense first coach so his best case scenario may be something along the lines of Phillips + DGB.

Hollands would still be there IMO - really can't see Phillips slipping past the first 2 picks.

I'm warming more to a midfielder with our first pick (preferably Phillips, otherwise Hollands) and DGB with our second as the way to go. I really like the idea of picking up a defender who could develop to be a McGovern (exceptional intercept player) or Grimes-type (lock down on smalls or talls). DGB has the attributes to be anything you want in defense.

Shaw has made it clear that he's a defense first coach so his best case scenario may be something along the lines of Phillips + DGB.

Yeah Hollands will be there.

Having watched Hollands games from 2019 (videos coming soon on my page), he was playing as a forward first with some bursts in the mid. Shifter described him as a mercurial forward.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah Hollands will be there.

Having watched Hollands games from 2019 (videos coming soon on my page), he was playing as a forward first with some bursts in the mid. Shifter described him as a mercurial forward.
Showed enough when played on ball to suggest he can make it as a 70-30 mid-forward imo. It's a risk to pick him as a midfielder as this season was meant to be his year in the midfield which obviously he won't get. I'd take him if Phillips is gone with our first pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back