Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollands would still be there IMO - really can't see Phillips slipping past the first 2 picks.

I'm warming more to a midfielder with our first pick (preferably Phillips, otherwise Hollands) and DGB with our second as the way to go. I really like the idea of picking up a defender who could develop to be a McGovern (exceptional intercept player) or Grimes-type (lock down on smalls or talls). DGB has the attributes to be anything you want in defense.

Shaw has made it clear that he's a defense first coach so his best case scenario may be something along the lines of Phillips + DGB.
I think Hollands goes top 4

so if we want him or Phillips we’d need a bottom 4 finish between us or dees

I think Hollands goes top 4

so if we want him or Phillips we’d need a bottom 4 finish between us or dees
We're going to finish bottom 4. Yeah we might've gotten the highest score of the season today, but it was against a team of witches hats. Crows threw everything at * last week and didn't come away with the points. Losing that game really took the wind out of the sails, making them ripe for us. So bearing that in mind, who else are we realistically better than? I'd probably say Freo and Hawthorn, but that's it. Everyone else is better than us. So that's 15th place. Pick 4. We'd have a good shot at Hollands at that position imo

We're going to finish bottom 4. Yeah we might've gotten the highest score of the season today, but it was against a team of witches hats. Crows threw everything at * last week and didn't come away with the points. Losing that game really took the wind out of the sails, making them ripe for us. So bearing that in mind, who else are we realistically better than? I'd probably say Freo and Hawthorn, but that's it. Everyone else is better than us. So that's 15th place. We'd have a good shot at Hollands at that position imo
I feel typical north thing to do will be to climb to 12/13th somehow

Showed enough when played on ball to suggest he can make it as a 70-30 mid-forward imo. It's a risk to pick him as a midfielder as this season was meant to be his year in the midfield which obviously he won't get. I'd take him if Phillips is gone with our first pick.
I looked at the 2009 draft tonight.....Fyfe went at 20. Faaaaaark!!!
This year more than most there will be blokes that explode from later in the draft.

I feel typical north thing to do will be to climb to 12/13th somehow
It would, but that feels more like a Brad Scott-era thing. Constant middle-table, mediocre finishes without threatening in September or getting much from the draft.

Reckon with Rhyce at the helm and everything going on with corona, injuries, and what have you, we're more likely to finish bottom 4 and begin that sorely needed rebuild.

As per Brady's comments:

"...so we need to make sure we provide the coaches with a list that's capable of going all the way, and that's what we'll be striving to do over the next few years. "We've got two first-round picks going into this year's draft, which is a pretty good position be in. We've got...

"...to get things right, and we want to win as many games as we can for the rest of this year ... we want to turn that around but we also need to make sure we're tracking forward in the future, and everyone's after a premiership and we're no different...

"...a fair bit of young talent on the list, too, that we need to consider locking away ... we think we've got a fair bit that can come in over the next year or two, with draft picks, and hopefully we can attract a player or two ...(&) retain players we see as part of our future."

As per Brady's comments:

"...so we need to make sure we provide the coaches with a list that's capable of going all the way, and that's what we'll be striving to do over the next few years. "We've got two first-round picks going into this year's draft, which is a pretty good position be in. We've got...

"...to get things right, and we want to win as many games as we can for the rest of this year ... we want to turn that around but we also need to make sure we're tracking forward in the future, and everyone's after a premiership and we're no different...

"...a fair bit of young talent on the list, too, that we need to consider locking away ... we think we've got a fair bit that can come in over the next year or two, with draft picks, and hopefully we can attract a player or two ...(&) retain players we see as part of our future."
Terrific. Everything on the table.

As per Brady's comments:

I'm pretty pumped to have this bloke running my footy club.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I'm pretty pumped to have this bloke running my footy club.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Says all the right things. I have a feeling we won’t die wondering. If we get the ultimate(yes edited) result, great, but if we don’t we at least know it won’t be through lack of endeavour

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

S
Can I ask what you read into his comments?

It seems he's saying the same thing anyone else in his position would say if questioned?
Sure thing.
For me this line is more forthright than we’ve ever been
“hopefully we can attract a player or two ...(&) retain players we see as part of our future."
Possibly I’m reading to much into his comments, wishful thinking perhaps, but I feel he’s an out and out hard arse and is only going to do what’s best for North. No more passengers. Blokes constantly on injury list would be very nervous

S

Sure thing.
For me this line is more forthright than we’ve ever been
“hopefully we can attract a player or two ...(&) retain players we see as part of our future."
Possibly I’m reading to much into his comments, wishful thinking perhaps, but I feel he’s an out and out hard arse and is only going to do what’s best for North. No more passengers. Blokes constantly on injury list would be very nervous
We should all be interpreting everything Brady says as he is hell bent on getting our list in order so that we can push top 4 and beyond.

He would not have returned to North if he was told to 'just get us to 9th - all good'.

The days of players clogging up our list - injured, poor form or whatever - for years on end and us satisfied in finishing 9th ARE DONE.

It's on the draft board mate. Not updated yet, so I might be slightly out, but it's close to that. We're definitely 4 & 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back