Preview 2020 AFL National Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I'm saying is that we could look at another athletic defender for Ben McKay to play second fiddle to in future.

We just very likely traded Corr, and we extended the very serviceable (defender) Josh Walker. Both have arguably 4 years of football left.

I'm not against picking up a Reid or a Cox with our 2nd pick, but I see them playing second fiddle with Ben as our lynch pin.

Yeah, I get that. But the risk is that we lose more players after how we pushed out Brown and or make it to 2022 with Western Bulldogsesque key forward stocks. Could badly blow up in our faces and I think it's a bit too cute for where the club is at currently.
Pushed out Brown??
Allowing him to go to a club that want to compete right now for a premiership on big money, for 5 years??

Pushed out Brown??
Allowing him to go to a club that want to compete right now for a premiership on big money, for 5 years??
Who says he wants to go? If you don't offer your four time leading goalkicker a big contract and tell them to find fortune elsewhere, then yes, you have pushed them out.

Harris Andrews played 19 games in his first season and averaged 5 1 percenters versus 9 over his career.

Harris Andrews was an all-Australian last year and I would suspect will be several more times in his career. He is in the top 2 or 3 for his position in the league if not the outright best.

Repeat: Harris Andrews has played 111 ****ing games, and it's widely considered around here that he robbed one R. Tarrant for his AA spot.

McKay can fall short of that standard and still be hugely valuable to North and we can contend with him in the team. No team can put out 22 guys that are all in the top 2 or 3 in the league for their positions.

Yes, and the best FB in any given year is regularly NOT the premiership FB.

Yeah, I get that. But the risk is that we lose more players after how we pushed out Brown and or make it to 2022 with Western Bulldogsesque key forward stocks. Could badly blow up in our faces and I think it's a bit too cute for where the club is at currently.

Brown will be 30 at the end of the 2022 season. He is not too old by any stretch to be part of our rebuild and a team that is contending.

At the moment I can't see any team offering Brown a big 5-year deal. It is also not as if we can bank the Brown money now and load up two or three years down the track. We have to spend it.

Brown will be 30 at the end of the 2022 season. He is not too old by any stretch to be part of our rebuild and a team that is contending.

At the moment I can't see any team offering Brown a big 5-year deal. It is also not as if we can bank the Brown money now and load up two or three years down the track. We have to spend it.
So what contract, $$ and years fo you think we would offer him that would be accepted.

So what contract, $$ and years fo you think we would offer him that would be accepted.

I will preface this by saying I have completely zero inside knowledge on any of this. Just another frustrated North fan with more than my share of opinions.

Wind back 12 months and if Ben was out of contract then I think he would have had offers of 4 or 5 years on 800 plus to move. I would think that if we had offered four years earlier in the season a deal would have been done. Now I think clubs will be looking to max their offers at 4 years and on 10% to 20% less money. The salary cap will be an issue at some of the clubs that want him.

I will preface this by saying I have completely zero inside knowledge on any of this. Just another frustrated North fan with more than my share of opinions.

Wind back 12 months and if Ben was out of contract then I think he would have had offers of 4 or 5 years on 800 plus to move. I would think that if we had offered four years earlier in the season a deal would have been done. Now I think clubs will be looking to max their offers at 4 years and on 10% to 20% less money. The salary cap will be an issue at some of the clubs that want him.
So you would sign him for 4 years on 700k(ish)?

see I wouldn’t do that deal.

I'm curious as to how we could pay him 700k x 4 years, when apparently his market value is a pick in the 20's...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much do you think that is overs? Would you have jumped at it 12 months ago?
Yep I would have done it 12 months ago... but it’s not 12 months ago.

he looks frail, he looks frustrated, he has had an injury plagued season, we have a game style and a coach that does not suit his skill set.

Sounds like we are in violent agreement.

I'm not claiming that B-Mac will be a better player than Andrews, but I am seriously declaring that he'll be an adequate enough replacement for Tarrant that we shouldn't place significant draft resources in to a dedicated full back.

I see Reid/Cox as CHB's anyway. Particularly Cox, who I think is a better fit, with better upside, albeit probably a little bit riskier.

I'd much rather pay him 4 x 700 than accept a shitty second-round pick.

I guess my point is, that why would/should we pay him that much if he isn't rated that highly externally? It doesn't really make much sense imo.

Different if we & Brown are getting big offers externally, however if that isn't happening, why pay overs?

I'm not claiming that B-Mac will be a better player than Andrews, but I am seriously declaring that he'll be an adequate enough replacement for Tarrant that we shouldn't place significant draft resources in to a dedicated full back.

I see Reid/Cox as CHB's anyway. Particularly Cox, who I think is a better fit, with better upside, albeit probably a little bit riskier.

I don't really know anything about the draft prospects so won't comment. Agree that B-Mac is developing nicely and will become a serious footballer that would be part of any team's best 22 over the next few years. Happy to say he has surprised me with the rate at which he has developed and gained confidence.

I don't really know anything about the draft prospects so won't comment. Agree that B-Mac is developing nicely and will become a serious footballer that would be part of any team's best 22 over the next few years. Happy to say he has surprised me with the rate at which he has developed and gained confidence.

Look at HOW he plays?

He's a 100% lynch pin defender. He's a full back.

I guess my point is, that why would/should we pay him that much if he isn't rated that highly externally? It doesn't really make much sense imo.

Different if we & Brown are getting big offers externally, however if that isn't happening, why pay overs?

I guess that will play out over the next few weeks. Other clubs will circle with offers and we'll speak t ben's manager about whether we want to match it or facilitate trade. I would be surprised if there is no club willing to offer 4 x 650 plus.

I guess that will play out over the next few weeks. Other clubs will circle with offers and we'll speak t ben's manager about whether we want to match it or facilitate trade. I would be surprised if there is no club willing to offer 4 x 650 plus.
If Collingwood offered that for Brown, would you accept
Pies get Brown and the Ess 2nd rounder,

Roos get pies 2020 first and 2021 first.

If Collingwood offered that for Brown, would you accept
Pies get Brown and the Ess 2nd rounder,

Roos get pies 2020 first and 2021 first.

So an upgrade on our thrid pick this year by about 11 spots to mid-teens plus another (assume late) first-rounder next year? If Brown has said he wants to leave and there is a real gap between where North values him and the Pies, then that is close to a deal that gets it done.

He's a better athlete in every way possible - quicker, more agility, better top speed, better leap, stronger etc.

Mahoney has Durdin covered for footy smarts and skills, but that's not to say Durdin isn't a good footballer or is a low IQ one - it's just the thing that sets Mahoney apart from other similar players and led to us taking him where we did despite his athletic deficiencies.

Mahoney is a poor man's Caleb Daniel (the thing I'm trying to emphasize here with the comparison to Daniel is the IQ and elite skills) whereas I'd compare Durdin to a poor man's Brent Harvey/Brett Daniel's (trying to emphasize his speed/agility)
The testing results difference for the two

Corey Durdin
172cm 74kg

Standing Vertical 67
Running Vertical 81
20m 3.15
Agility 8.74
Yo-yo 20.6

Jack Mahony
178cm 72kg

Standing Vertical 62
Running Vertical 75
20m 3.15
Agility 8.31
Yo-yo 20.8

See that is where I think his biggest upside is and I believe he has a heap of improvement left in him. Once he believes he belongs I think we will see intercept marks to compliment his one percenters and some more adventure with his disposal. I think that's been the difference with Jy and LDU this year and I expect them to go up another gear next year when they will be true leaders.

The testing results difference for the two

Corey Durdin
172cm 74kg

Standing Vertical 67
Running Vertical 81
20m 3.15
Agility 8.74
Yo-yo 20.6

Jack Mahony
178cm 72kg

Standing Vertical 62
Running Vertical 75
20m 3.15
Agility 8.31
Yo-yo 20.8

Wow this shocks me - certainly doesn't appear this way when you watch them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back