Review Giants 133 def Dogs 51, the bad, and the questionable team structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Firstly this is in no way a sack beveridge thread.

Also beveridge has done a lot for this club turned us around as a club after McCartney and lead this club to the promised land in 2016.

Since that premiership though we have gone backwards at lightning speed. Whilst plenty of players let the team down in 2017 there were so many baffling selection decisions, positioning decisions and so many players left in the side dispute horrible performances.

We move into 2018 with renewed hope and optimism and after interesting selection and positioning in the pre season there is still hope for the year ahead and yet round one the selection is baffling and the positioning of players as equally baffling.

Has beveridge been too cute with his selections and positioning? Has he got over confident it his moves and selections in the past? Does he need to get back to basics with this team? Should he simply play players in the positions they perform best in? Will he change or be to stubborn to fix the issues?

Too much emphasis on versatility, instead of allowing players to perfect their positions. Too much instability with coaching staff also moving around, so even those in the same positions are being taught different ways to do things.

We selected Roughead, Trengove and English. Yet Dunkley has been our designated ruck on multiple occasions.

We have an AA defender who is captain of the club, but is playing as a deep forward and cannot get a touch. Despite a plethora of inside 50 action in this game.

I give Bevo until Round 2 to make some serious adjustments. For me, the answer to your question will depend on whether the crazy stuff like Wood as a forward and Dunkley in the ruck is still happening in Round 2.

But I have seen enough worrying signs today that I had to change the avatar I've been using for the past 2 years which said "In Bevo We Trust". I'm sorry, but I've lost trust in the current gameplan (if there even is one).

My concern is what is our game plan?

In the premiership year we were a team that had a strong zone defence that relied on pressure up the field to force rushed kicks and disposals. We locked the ball in our forward half, having massive time in forward half advantage. It allowed us to select slightly smaller defences and mobile forward line. But pressure and commitment were the key.

Not sure what our plan is now we don’t have that intense pressure, we don’t zone defend well if at all, we all transition too easy. That coupled with the strange selections and positioning make for troubling signs and lack of results.

Well wasn't that shambolic. And Libba looks to have done his knee again. :'(

English looked great though. About the only positive I could find from today.

Unless Bevo eats some humble pie and starts Wood as a defender in R2. That would also be a positive to take from today (only if it happens though).

I dunno. Just feels like we’ve gone from play your role/simple and take the game on to being too cute with positioning and game plan. Some very bizarre decisions one being selecting English, Trengove and Rough (which is fine) but Dunkley rucking in the middle? Can’t expect fans and your team to just cop that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like many others have been saying 14 ruck/ key positions players on your list is dumb, stupid and way out step with the way footy (the tigers have 7) is played we have no speed and will pay for the list structure. I know I will get shot down but it is clear we need to change the list drastically over the next few seasons, runners & mids, runners & mids you can never have enough of them.

Well that was difficult to watch.
English and Gowers about the only positives.

Trengove, JJ and Wood to go back.
Redpath to come in and go forward, Daniel to come in and provide a cool head who actually assesses his options with ball in hand.

I'd probably drop Williams and obviously Libba goes out :(

I dunno. Just feels like we’ve gone from play your role/simple and take the game on to being too cute with positioning and game plan. Some very bizarre decisions one being selecting English, Trengove and Rough (which is fine) but Dunkley rucking in the middle? Can’t expect fans and your team to just cop that.

Yea I agree, I thought English was brilliant today but to choose all three and play them as ruck forwards is bizarre and the to ruck Dunkley at times is mystifying was similar in the backline with at times naughton and Williams on Cameron when we hand Corey and Roberts as options or through trengove back

The Wood/Trengrove/JJ decisions are just so frustrating.

We lose Boyd and Bob in the off season, then Moz, then Adams... and we still leave them out of there.

Our two gun defenders are being used as mediocre forwards. Ugh. Instead we have Biggs and Cordy leading the backline.

Too much emphasis on versatility, instead of allowing players to perfect their positions. Too much instability with coaching staff also moving around, so even those in the same positions are being taught different ways to do things.

Get back to basics.
Ask players to take ownership of their natural position.
Give them two weeks to prove they own the position.
Ask the second string players to take the position away from the incumbent.
Create desire and competition within the club to produce the best from each player.
It's a football club, not a Research Establishment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back