Giants and Private Ownership

Only in self reliance other wise it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The AFL get to handball financial responsibility elsewhere meanwhile the owner will seek to maximise return on investment.

If I were buying the giants I'd also buy the stadium and insist all games were there.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The AFL get to handball financial responsibility elsewhere meanwhile the owner will seek to maximise return on investment.

If I were buying the giants I'd also buy the stadium and insist all games were there.

For me that would be an up as I think we need to concentrate on one grassroots frontier region, probably my Capital brothers and sisters though would completely disagree.

Stadium would provide an income to I’m guessing(especially when the Easter show gets back next year)

For me that would be an up as I think we need to concentrate on one grassroots frontier region, probably my Capital brothers and sisters though would completely disagree.

Stadium would provide an income to I’m guessing(especially when the Easter show gets back next year)

The AFL doesn't have an obligation to fixture game at the stadium, see Geelong, and it would be in their best interests where the games are. If a new Sydney stadium offered better return for the AFL then the Giants would play there.

Way too much risk to throw money at for essentially just taking on the privilege of paying the bills for the AFL

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The AFL doesn't have an obligation to fixture game at the stadium, see Geelong, and it would be in their best interests where the games are. If a new Sydney stadium offered better return for the AFL then the Giants would play there.

Way too much risk to throw money at for essentially just taking on the privilege of paying the bills for the AFL

New Sydney stadium? No. We can’t even get our old ones fixed or rebuilt or even finished at the moment.

Geelong choose to have some home games at the MCG during the home and away yeah?
Which means the AFL can choose between the 2 grounds for finals.
Like what happened with ANZ and the Swans and what could happen with us with Giants Stadium and Manuka.

Who knows what the private parties plans are.

How does it benefit the club to have the AFL off the hook for supporting the giants?
Private ownership would (presumably) be willing to spend up to the cap for off field activities. I don't know if the AFL is currently doing so.

The Giants have contracts for three games in Canberra and seven games at the Showgrounds that would require re-negotiation/buying out of before approaching this idea.

The Giants have contracts for three games in Canberra and seven games at the Showgrounds that would require re-negotiation/buying out of before approaching this idea.
It isn't a short term plan when you're spending tens of millions of dollars.

The value of the Giants to the AFL is in Sydney. With the right marketing, a single NFL side could have as many supporters as the entire book from the AFL, so that's where I'd see the club ending up.

Buy the Giants for $30,000,000 and then see out existing deals, then move the club to the USA where the market is so much bigger if AFL can get traction.

The AFL will be happy to sell the rights for far more money into the USA, another team or two will move/start up there.

Twenty years from now the landscape could look very different, which is exciting, but if it were my club taking those steps away from me but towards potential world riches (imagine the academy potential sourcing out of US highschools, you could add a Lance Franklin athlete every year) I'd be torn.

move the club to the USA where the market is so much bigger if AFL can get traction.
And that is exactly the worst case scenario as a member.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It isn't a short term plan when you're spending tens of millions of dollars.

The value of the Giants to the AFL is in Sydney. With the right marketing, a single NFL side could have as many supporters as the entire book from the AFL, so that's where I'd see the club ending up.

Buy the Giants for $30,000,000 and then see out existing deals, then move the club to the USA where the market is so much bigger if AFL can get traction.

The AFL will be happy to sell the rights for far more money into the USA, another team or two will move/start up there.

Twenty years from now the landscape could look very different, which is exciting, but if it were my club taking those steps away from me but towards potential world riches (imagine the academy potential sourcing out of US highschools, you could add a Lance Franklin athlete every year) I'd be torn.

No thanks

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who knows what the private parties plans are.

I would say - buy an AFL team for peanuts, then promote, promote and promote in USA market.

It might be the right time to do it now, maybe Australia might look at moving its focus away from ASIA, maybe USA might look to move its manufacturing reliance away from ASIA. Might be worth a gamble? The more you bet the more you win.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder

Imagine if the AFL had already gone down that path.

With COVID-19 running out of control in America, it would be impossible to include the club in any resumption of play. It's going to be hard enough to re-start the competition as it is. Even if the club moved only as far as New Zealand, there's no guarantee we'd be able to participate.

Let's just focus on our own backyard.

And she raises a fair point, how are people supposed to connect with a billionaire's plaything rather than a member-based club? This isn't America or Britain.
Clubs like Sydney FC, Broncos, etc go ok...

The connection isn't a big deal to most people that aren't in the Victorian membership-based culture. The Giants aren't member owned at the moment. But there are definitely issues with the idea.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Clubs like Sydney FC, Broncos, etc go ok...

The connection isn't a big deal to most people that aren't in the Victorian membership-based culture. The Giants aren't member owned at the moment. But there are definitely issues with the idea.
The Broncos were entering a market that was already RL territory and were offering a higher quality product, of course they did well. Sydney FC is more debatable but basically had no competition for a city where plenty of people were already into soccer. Entering a foreign territory for the game is a different kettle of fish.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Caro up in arms against the idea. And she raises a fair point, how are people supposed to connect with a billionaire's plaything rather than a member-based club? This isn't America or Britain.

To play the devils advocate, for members what would be different to now?
We don’t get to vote on the board

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
This isn't America or Britain.

Or Sydney. Remember Dr. Edelsten?

The AFL has already had one near-disastrous experience in the Sydney market with private ownership. We don't want our club going anywhere near it.

We've been doing a great job building a genuine AFL club from scratch, and it's working, so please, just leave us alone.

Or Sydney. Remember Dr. Edelsten?

The AFL has already had one near-disastrous experience in the Sydney market with private ownership. We don't want our club going anywhere near it.

We've been doing a great job building a genuine AFL club from scratch, and it's working, so please, just leave us alone.
Hell, Skase was a great choice too.

Chances are we'll end up sold to a Trump right as they go bankrupt.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
3AW 693 Melb. Radio G.Healy sport 22.4

1. GWS CEO D. Matthews indicated there are currently no concrete proposals from GWS' US financial backers for private ownership, but GWS "billionaires" supporters need to be listened to.

Matthews said

"Is there an opportunity for people to invest...Currently (non-US, my words) private coterie groups...are investing $4m per year...is there an equity or participation that incentives more"?

"We have the best game in the world. ...It should be considered...Is there a way of attracting more investment"?

2. S. McClure said to D. Matthews that Matthews' name has been mentioned in the NRL as a possible new NRL CEO- Matthews implied he had no interest in this.

In NSW & elsewhere, when GWS was being established in 2012, & afterwards, many NRL officials & MSM RL, RU & soccer etc. experts (& inc. some AFL MSM experts) claimed that GWS would be an abysmal failure in barren- for- AF western Sydney.
Now, obviously, many in the NRL & RL MSM etc. must believe that GWS is making very good progress, & that the successful GWS CEO is possibly worthy of being the NRL CEO!
No more NRL public comments, re GWS, "the AFL's Vietnam" etc. are likely to occur.

(go to 7 minutes 02 seconds - 11 mins.10 secs.)

Last edited:
Back