Analysis Giants captaincy - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Ward, Davis, Steve Waugh, why does he need all this extra support?

Not only did we severely under-perform on the field this year, we're losing Williams and Cameron, in who we've invested a great deal.

Something's not right.

Williams is going for a shitload more cash and Cameron is wanting to be near family, think the lock down shook him up a bit.

Nothing wrong. He is a 1st year Captain.

No need to be throwing babies out with the bath water.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Ward, Davis, Steve Waugh, why does he need all this extra support?

Not only did we severely under-perform on the field this year, we're losing Williams and Cameron, in who we've invested a great deal.

Something's not right.

I agree something is not right and it is how the comp is uneven and also how for the 2nd time in recent years a top team has recruited the biggest free agent at zero cost except what would be considered as unders to recruit that player
And yes the club could be doing things better but given the financial constraints on the club and the fact the club is 11/12 years old it is very young and it needs those experienced people around imo
If the club did change captains it would be in worse shape as it would indicate poor management and decision masking and if the club has the right people in charge
I do think the club does has got lots right but also lots wrong in its existence but that is the benefit of hindsight and if it has good people at the club hopefully it will move in the right direction and look at some of the other clubs and the lack of success Simmofreo can talk about the experiences supporting the dockers and yet he still supports them and also Determinant with the Saints it is part of the pain of supporting a club you have highs and lows just dont be like the Man u supporter who changed to a Liverpool supporter after the 8-2 loss and then saw Liverpool lose by a similar margin:p

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
What are the odds that win lose or draw that Geelong will re-appoint Joel Selwood for a 10th season as captain in 2021?

Also if Cam Smith goes around again what are the odds he gets replaced for a younger captain rather than go on for a 16th straight year?

What are the odds that win lose or draw that Geelong will re-appoint Joel Selwood for a 10th season as captain in 2021?

Also if Cam Smith goes around again what are the odds he gets replaced for a younger captain rather than go on for a 16th straight year?

Geelong you would think Danger or Duncan if Selwood handed it over but younger options no idea

Storm they have so many options Munster (26), Papenhuyzen (22) then have Bromwich, Finucane, Kaufusi, Brandon Smith they have so many leaders within the club

There is no way we will change our captain, and nor should we.

I think we handled the covid break worse than most, for whatever reason, and it was a rubbish year. 1 bad year doesnt make you a bad club.

I think the conditions multiplied everything, and once you're out of form it was hard to turn around.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Here's an article from the AFL website about the effect on Coniglio of the captaincy:

He seems to have found it a bit much, without going into too much detail.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
We have to salvage something positive from the simultaneous injuries to Cogs and Toby.

This is the right week for Cogs to ask Toby to join him as Co-Captain.

No one at the club should ask this of Cogs, he should do it solely off his own bat over a coffee with Toby and then both go and inform Leon.

This is an obvious win-win that will unify the club in our 10th anniversary weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chance.

Cogs has confidently said that his captaincy style is only suited to a single captain model.
Fair game to him for putting his hand up and having a go but so far he hasn't been convincing. Takes true leadership qualities to admit it when you're not right.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Genuinely

how couldany of us actually know the success or failure of cogs as captain. Nobody is witness to his interactions with players personally, in game or in meetings.
This assumption that Greene is better is purely off the fact we had a slow start to the season... people were looking for answers to explain it and blamed the captain. Now we get our act together and win 4 games we would have expected to win at the start of the year with Greene at the helm and he is the savior.

it seems pretty over simplified to me

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Fair game to him for putting his hand up and having a go but so far he hasn't been convincing. Takes true leadership qualities to admit it when you're not right.

We have no idea what happens behind the scenes.
Tobes has even come out and said that he doesn’t do anything in regards to the Captaincy role off field and doesn’t want to and that Cogs does.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Very interesting article from the AFL website yesterday, with some unintentionally revealing comments from Whitfield:

"Toby is a different type of leader to Stephen and the rest of the leadership group. He chucks the team on his back and leads by example," Whitfield said.

"His words pre-game are short and precise, then he just plays with the ferocity that makes everyone else around him better.

"...seeing Toby do such a good job is quite inspiring."

Whitfield makes Toby sound like an effective team leader, but one of the questions left open is what type of leader is Coniglio?

And who initiated the crisis meeting after Round 3?

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Use it as they did last time - offer it to Hopper to help getting him to extend.

Seriously though, I don’t really care who’s captain. If there is a preference amongst the playing group for different team leadership the club will address it appropriately.
I do hope Coniglio gets a better run with injury as much for him as for the club getting a return on the big, long term contract. He has missed lots of footy over the last 5 years and bravely played many games whilst clearly not fully fit, particularly whilst captain. He’s due a clear run at it for a few years.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Whoever actually has the C should be irrelevant in that team network. Its not like Cogs can inspire a def group mid game or a forward group mid game when we spends most of his time in the middle. Same with toby... how does he lead a backline when he is never down there.

My point is that strong teams need strong leaders across multiple lines. The Captain might have off field responsibilities and symbolic duties like coin tosses but real successful teams and institutions have multiple leaders driving success (and the required standard) across multiple lines....

In my opinion way too much emphasis is placed on who actually gets the C. Whitfield alludes to this in his interview above at the end where he recognises his own role and growing responsibility in ensuring others are better because of his own on and off field leadership.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Wouldn't be too surprised to see Toby elevated as a co-captain next year, but on the otherhand it also seems like he's not too intrested in being the captain maybe he's just saying this in the media to avoid any sort of controversy, can't say for sure. Cogs seems very well liked among the group and there doesn't seem to be any issues with him being the captain considering he was voted in at the start of 2019. If the group didn't think he could be captain then he wouldn't have been voted in.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
The CEO should never have got involved with the Captaincy.

It’s been a self-inflicted mess ever since.

I think the club should commit to a co-Captain model for 2022 and beyond, recognising that Cal and Phil have proved it works very well for the club.

Hold a player vote at season end, asking each player to nominate their two co-Captains for 2022.

I’d be stunned if Cogs and TFG weren’t elected co-Captains.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
The CEO should never have got involved with the Captaincy.

It’s been a self-inflicted mess ever since.

I think the club should commit to a co-Captain model for 2022 and beyond, recognising that Cal and Phil have proved it works very well for the club.

Hold a player vote at season end, asking each player to nominate their two co-Captains for 2022.

I’d be stunned if Cogs and TFG weren’t elected co-Captains.

I guess I'm not super clear on how the CEO (Mathews?) was involved in the captaincy, what happened?

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
I guess I'm not super clear on how the CEO (Mathews?) was involved in the captaincy, what happened?

In 2019 there was a vote with Phil and Cogs getting equal votes and Cogs saying he didn't want to be co-captain and only would do it solo.
But in 2020 there was no vote and Cogs was made captain because it was what Matthews wanted.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
In 2019 there was a vote with Phil and Cogs getting equal votes and Cogs saying he didn't want to be co-captain and only would do it solo.
But in 2020 there was no vote and Cogs was made captain because it was what Matthews wanted.
So Mathews appointed Cogs captain without a vote? Makes it look a lot like it was a clause in Cogs' contract which would be dissapointing.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder

Matthews could impose a solution to the captaincy, but he couldn't impose unity and a sense of purpose to the team. That's supposed to be the captain's job.

Whitfield's report of a crisis meeting after Round 3 suggests these problems were still unresolved at the start of this season. Until someone spoke up and said "enough".

Back