Analysis Giants captaincy - where to from here?

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I hope you are right with all those if’s but I am a realist. Cogs hasn’t played an A grade AFL game since 7 July 2019 when he had 34 touches against the Lions. That is a fact. Round 1 he had 24 touches and 7 direct turnovers. Wouldn’t count that as a great game for an inside midfielder.
You forgot 1 other inside mid that we need to play every game next year and that is Tom Green who I regard as probably a foundational player and someone we can build a team around for years to come.

Like I stated I really like Cogs as a person and even as a people manager but he needs to find a place in the team now with the youth undoubtedly the reason why we made a finals push this year. The selection and list managers have huge decisions to make. I hope he does rediscover his best and break back into the team but I just can’t see how without a lot of injuries. Hopefully I am writing about this again this time next year saying how wrong I was with Cogs leading us into our clubs second grand final after a best and fairest winning year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
In Round 1 he also had a goal, 5 clearances and 12 contested possessions, which are great numbers, you're right his efficency with the ball was down that game but I thought he did a pretty good job of making up for it. Right there with you on Green I think he's a gun and should be part of the team for the next decade. The team is constructed really weirdly with the amount of inside mids we have and it makes it difficult to maximise everyone's talent, just sucks we have to wait so long to find out about how the teams going to look next year, miss the footy already.

I seriously hope Cogs gets back to full fitness but where do you see him playing? In the midfield he has to work past Ward, Kelly, O’Halloren, Hopper, Taranto, Green, Bruhn, Ash (i think they might push him up around the ball more next year for extra speed).
As a small forward he will have to fight with Daniels, Hill, Stone, Lloyd, DeBoer (defensive forward).
I just can’t see where he fits without stunting the growth of our youth getting games amd if that happens too much we will no doubt lose more young players for a can of Pepsi and a bag of lollies.

I seriously love Cogs but he is absolutely devoid of confidence & clearly hampered by injuries. Dare I say it if a rival West Australian club comes to us and offers us a second round pick and then to pick up his salary we should jump on it like seagulls at hot chips.
Also with the current lockdown and restrictions being able to get back to WA I am sure he finds it very hard not to see his family in the West.

We need to look within for our new captain. My vote Ward & Perryman for the time being

A fully fit Cogs is among our very best players.

He spent the year injured

Have we forgot his first 8 seasons.

He is on the big coin and captain because he has been an outstanding player.

An uninterrupted preseason and I expect he will be the player that made him su sort after in the first place.

It is worth noting there was similar talk about Cal at the start of last year, and Cogs is much younger than Cal,

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
The selection and list managers have huge decisions to make.

With news that Finlayson has done a medical with Port, they certainly do.

JC has gone, we can't rely on Hogan, and if Finlayson goes our forward line will look decidedly threadbare.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

JC has gone, we can't rely on Hogan, and if Finlayson goes our forward line will look decidedly threadbare.

Towards the end of the season Finlayson wasn’t even getting a game before he left to be with his partner.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

We have HH, Sproule, Hogan and I do think we will play two rucks with one resting fwd (both can take a pack mark too). So i think we are ok. Though reckon we go for a key fwd in the draft as well as a key back.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
It's hard to escape the logic of what you're saying.

I personally think Cogs will rebound in 2022 and recapture a lot of his prior form.

The problem though is that his contract has been such an ‘all in’ double bet on both cap space and the Captaincy.

IMO, trading Cogs would be an enormous admission of failure by management.

For this reason alone, I don’t expect it to happen unless something additional drastic and negative happens.

However, IMO the Captaincy will be restructured (co-Captains) as a bet hedging exercise.

Also, they might ask Cogs to assist (via a haircut) with cap space constraints in the future.

The good news is Cogs is of very high character which helps in very tough situations.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
WE ARE NOT TRADING OUR CAPTAIN

STOP BEING SO F***ING STUPID

Ok let’s say Cogs comes out and says he really misses his family in WA and requests a trade back to WA and in particular Freo. Fremantle would be a great landing spot as they lose Cerra and who knows we could get what ever pick Freo get for Cerra likely first rounder. Would you say no to Cogs leaving if we get relieved of his massive salary and land pick 6? Pick 6 would probably get us either the best key forward or key back in the draft, plus Callaghan plus our own pick 13.
Addresses a need or two using a type of player we have loads of as an inside midfielder.
Trust me I am hoping he sticks around and sees out his contract and becomes the player he once was in 2019 again!
Just throwing things out there for us to consider.

The other side of the coin we don’t trade him, he is continually hampered by injuries for the next 2 years by which time we are paying a lot of money to for a guy who is in his 30’s, hampered by injury and in a position we have lots of cover.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Would you say no to Cogs leaving if we get relieved of his massive salary and land pick 6?

The correct answer to that question would be "No", if going down that path was in the club's interest.

Making correct calls on decisions like that are what separates successful clubs from the rest.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Would that it were a mute point .... but Vic media won’t leave this alone despite it just being a fantasy created in the cesspool that’s is Cornes’ mind

The Vic media have been trying to pick us apart for years, thinking we'd collapse as various players decided to leave.

We have a good record of keeping who we really need and we're not going to collapse.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Ive noticed Kelly on a few 3rd party advertising lately. StGeorge Bank for instance. Wonder if he is willing to take it over and has had a change of heart.

I was fully supportive of our Captain, still am, but I do wonder if he should just concentrate on his own form and get himself back to his best.
Which is definitely worth 900k to a mil.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
3 captain model is the way to go and if in 12mths from now Cogs is still struggling its not such a big deal if Cogs steps down while the other captains remain.
It was reported that Cogs knocked back co-captaincy in 2019 and that he felt his style of leadership was suited to sole captaincy. If that’s true, his thinking will need to have evolved for him to be part of a successful group of 3 co-captains in 2022.
I agree 3 is a good outcome in this situation.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It was reported that Cogs knocked back co-captaincy in 2019 and that he felt his style of leadership was suited to sole captaincy. If that’s true, his thinking will need to have evolved for him to be part of a successful group of 3 co-captains in 2022.
I agree 3 is a good outcome in this situation.
I take “reports” with a grain of salt.

I do think it would be good to keep 1 and in my opinion , if he wants it, to make it Kelly with Greene as VC.
Let’s Cogs get his form back.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Would love to see Cogs given another chance to be captain in hopefully a normal season that isn't either in a super effected pandemic year or he's injured most of the season. 3 captains is pretty weird don't think it's something we've seen before, but regardless seems like a decision is going to be made pretty soon. If they do go with multiple captains I think having 2 with Kelly being the other one is the most likely scenario, big star player, great guy with no history of doing really anything bad on or off the field, signed long term and seems to have polled well recently.

Last edited:
Back