Analysis Giants captaincy - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we think that thinking your so important to be above the law would help somehow, Hird would be useful.
that is the horrendous side

he also is an all time great who apparently is an AFL savant, the excellent side.

I guess which of these 2 characteristics comes to fore determines whether it is good or not.

A bit more on the Hird situation

James Hird has moved a step closer to a return to football after Greater Western Sydney confirmed on Wednesday that the Essendon champion would share his expertise with the club this weekend. The Bombers great and former coach has been engaged as a guest speaker at a Giants leadership session. There is some belief in the industry that the Giants are willing to work with Hird in a greater capacity next year, possibly in a mentoring or assistant coaching role. The club said no formal offer or approach had been made. Hird was contacted for comment on Wednesday night. Hird is expected to address the Giants leadership group as well as their emerging leaders as part of their program this weekend. It is not the first time the Brownlow medallist has spent time with the Giants. He spoke to the players in their Melbourne hub this year after a Covid-19 outbreak forced the club to flea NSW. The appearance was organised by Hird’s former teammate and current GWS senior assistant coach Mark McVeigh. Hird spoke about his story and the leadership lessons he had learnt during his career, impressing many at the Giants. At the moment Hird doesn’t have a formalised role with the Giants and it is unclear whether it will be an ongoing relationship.

AFL 2021: James Hird set to return to footy, working as mentor at GWS Giants | Herald Sun

if it’s a one off guest speaker spot where he says “this is how I completely f**ked up my life, and the footy club I loved, and you should probably not do that” then ok. I put that up there with getting ex-druggos talking about the perils of meth or ex-gamblers telling how they lost their house on the punt & had to live out of the boot of a 1971 Datsun for three years. The sort of life lesson speech that has Gloria Gaynor playing in the background and great examples of what not to do.

but an ongoing role?

Nope.

I‘d have Nick Maxwell back first - and he was a complete potato.

3 captain model is the way to go and if in 12mths from now Cogs is still struggling its not such a big deal if Cogs steps down while the other captains remain.

Here's a story about leadership triumvirates.

In 1980, federal Labor was being led by Bill Hayden, and it was decided to market him as part of a leadership "triumvirate" with Bob Hawke, leader of the ACTU, and Neville Wran, then at the height of his popularity as NSW Premier.

The decision to reinforce Hayden was a public acknowledgment of his deficiencies as a leader, the most obvious being unable to inspire confidence in either his party or the wider community.

The same principle is at work here. That we're even considering a return to the three captains model is an admission there are serious doubts about Coniglio as sole captain.

Hayden lost in 1980 and stood down a couple of years later. We can't afford that kind of timing.

That's where I sit.
Wayne Carey was given a second chance after numerous indiscretions.

Maybe James Hird needs that too.
I wouldn't be comparing this to Wayne Carey he's a bad person that did some horrible things while with Hird although his club cheated it's not nearly on the same level. Wouldn't have any issues brining in Hird as an assistant, one of the games all time great players with multiple years worth of head coaching experience can't hurt.

That's where I sit.
Wayne Carey was given a second chance after numerous indiscretions.

Maybe James Hird needs that too.
Carey is an absolute scumbag and physically hurt people, who he supposedly cared for(absolute disgrace how he is beloved in footy media. More evidence of the blokey vfl mates attitude of the media). Hird cheated.

2 different situations.

In 1980, federal Labor was being led by Bill Hayden, and it was decided to market him as part of a leadership "triumvirate" with Bob Hawke, leader of the ACTU, and Neville Wran, then at the height of his popularity as NSW Premier.

The decision to reinforce Hayden was a public acknowledgment of his deficiencies as a leader, the most obvious being unable to inspire confidence in either his party or the wider community.

The same principle is at work here. That we're even considering a return to the three captains model is an admission there are serious doubts about Coniglio as sole captain.

Hayden lost in 1980 and stood down a couple of years later. We can't afford that kind of timing.
You could also cite a million cases where adding leaders has worked.

Rick Charlesworth promoted the leaderful team concept that was adopted by many sporting organizations and businesses to great success, the most direct comparison being the 2005 swans. The cricket team going to the separate captains for formats was also inspired by this with success.

A single anecdote is not proof of success or failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im ok with the Hird appointment if its true. We give second chances all the time in society, I don't know why sport should be any different.

I would like more detail on the role and how he is equipped to contribute though.

Yeah but then went on to win the next 4 elections. Happy if we win the next 4 flags 🤣

If Captain Cogs has had a 360 degree turnaround and is now happy to share the captaincy with two other players it makes even more of a mockery of the whole original thing.

So he didn't want to share it with Phil and Cal but he's ok sharing it with Kelly and Greene??
Or he’s realised that he either;
a) Needs help
B) Can’t handle it on his own
C) Wants to offload some burden to help his on-field performances

a) Needs help
I pick
d) All of the above

If Captain Cogs has had a 360 degree turnaround and is now happy to share the captaincy with two other players it makes even more of a mockery of the whole original thing.

So he didn't want to share it with Phil and Cal but he's ok sharing it with Kelly and Greene??
considering there was no confirmation by clubs or players, it might not of happened that way.

a) Needs help

Agreed. This modern concept that changing ones' mind is a sign of weakness is one of the dumber aspects to come out of '00s politics.

Coniglio has been GWS’s solo skipper for the past two years, and was determined not to share the role when he took over from Phil Davis and Callan Ward at the end of 2018. But the 27-year-old has struggled for form since taking on the responsibility while also dealing with a string of injuries that have kept him to just 23 games in the last two seasons. “The feel of the group was it’s a big job and it needs more than one person to do it,” McCartney said. “He’s led quite well off-field, but I just think with Stephen being in the role, he has a greater appreciation of how big the role is too.
AFL 2021: Toby Greene become GWS Giants co-captain despite ‘moment of madness’ (theage.com.au)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back