Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

I hope the Leon is ok mentally, and he has given a lot to this club. But the time is right. Without success & certainty, it was already looking hard to maintain and attract players for next season.

Plenty of time to plan now

I wish leon all the best

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Adam Simpson your best bet.
Haven't seen Simmo's name raised in much of the GWS coaching option discussions...even though West Coast have backed him to stay on for the rebuild, even before that he was probably the least likely to come over.

I hope consistent onfield success can help us build our fanbase and get us closer towards packing out our homegrounds.

Look specifically at how the Sydney Kings and NBL have built it up the last few years to pack out Qudos Bank yesterday for the finals.

Hird will move into a support role for McVeigh / have a greater role in the football department as of next week

Nothing will get advised this week, speculation will be plenty. McVeigh carried himself well in the Community games will need the support from Hird

Ball is in his court to move up to Sydney in the coming weeks, part time leadership mentor role to a full time role within the club

I think he can be a senior assistant and commute from Melb with air travel getting back to normal.

Part of me really wanted to see him win the flag in '19 though it might not have made a difference in the end. I don't think the AFL world made it easy for him with all the Ferrari talk. Reckon he is a better coach than many give him credit for, hopefully he gets another chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only managed to catch a bit of the press conference. Was it just Leon or did the CEO and such make an appearance? Only saw Leon speak.

Only managed to catch a bit of the press conference. Was it just Leon or did the CEO and such make an appearance? Only saw Leon speak.
Dave Matthews, Tony Sheppard & Leon

I will post the video shortly

Last edited:

Giant shortlist: 16 contenders to replace Leon Cameron as senior coach​

Leon Cameron’s stunning mid-year resignation has created arguably the most enticing and exhilarating vacancy for any prospective senior coach. And the Giants are in Position A in the coaching market.

With an established, talented list that features a well-balanced age demographic, the Giants’ coaching role might be the most heavily sought-after among the big-name ‘free agents’, as well the gun assistant coaches ready to make the next step.

Alastair Clarkson

The hot favourite. A four-time premiership coach is widely regarded as the greatest coach of the modern AFL era. After leaving the Hawks at the end of 2021 — and turning down approaches from Collingwood and Carlton — Clarkson has had a ‘development’ year in 2022. The Giants aren’t expected to ‘bottom out’ and start a rebuild from scratch, which would no doubt appeal to Clarkson. He’ll have the luxury to assess the approaches of many keen clubs over the coming months. But of all the clubs that could be in the market for a new coach for next season, the Giants would surely appeal to Clarkson — and the AFL wouldn’t mind the biggest coaching name taking over in western Sydney. Giants chief executive Dave Matthews and football boss Jason McCartney now have a golden opportunty to pounce and sell the dream to Clarkson.

James Hird

The most intriguing figure now in the Giants discussion. The footy world’s ears pricked up in January when the Giants announced Hird had signed with the club as a part-time leadership consultant, marking his first official role at an AFL club since his departure from Essendon towards the end of the 2015 season. Just over one month later, AFL 360 co-host Mark Robinson predicted Hird would be the Giants’ next coach. Hird, 49, was coach of Essendon during the infamous supplements saga, which ultimately led to him being suspended for 12 months due to his role in the program. But AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has previously stated he’d have no qualms if Hird, one day, returned as a senior AFL coach. While Michael Voss and Brett Ratten’s respective returns to senior coaching would be different circumstances to Hirds, it’s a sign clubs are willing to hire former senior coaches that have previously been sacked.

Nathan Buckley

Buckley has slotted seamlessly into various media roles this year — inclusing at Fox Footy — but will no doubt be considered by the Giants. The seven-time All-Australian spent almost 10 seasons in charge at the Magpies, taking his club to five finals appearances — including the famous 2018 Grand Final, which the Pies lost by under a kick — and finishing with an overall win-loss record of 112-92-2. He proved during his time at Collingwood that he had an ability to implement defensive values into his players — and the Giants have often been criticised for their defensive issues. And considering his past experience, he looms as a good fit for the Giants, who already have an established list. Buckley told Fox Footy’s Best On Ground on Saturday night he hadn’t taken any phone calls from any AFL clubs yet about joining their coaching panels, adding he was happy being out of the coaching spotlight. You sense, though, his phone could light up soon.

Ross Lyon

Lyon has a proven ability to step into senior coaching roles at St Kilda and Fremantle and bring success — and bring it rapidly. That would no doubt appeal to the Giants. But is Lyon still prepared to return to the senior coaching rigours? Since being removed as Fremantle coach in late 2019, Lyon has slotted seamlessly into various media roles. He’s consistently been asked about whether he’d entertain a coaching comeback – and never totally slammed the door shut on the possibility. Lyon once described himself as an “AFL career coach”, while his former pupil Nick Dal Santo once said he would “adapt and face a challenge, no matter how well the team’s going at any particular time”. Lyon was initially interested in the then-vacant Carlton gig last year, but pulled out when he was told he’d have to be part of an interview process, rather than being handed the job as the clear contender. If the Giants are after an experienced coach with a winning record — albeit no flags — that can help instil strong defensive values into a talented list, Lyon would be a strong candidate.

Robert Harvey

Harvey took on the Collingwood caretaker role after Nathan Buckley’s departure last year but didn’t get the full-time role. But the St Kilda legend’s stint as Pies caretaker, which yielded two wins from nine games, saw the Pies play a more appealing brand of footy. Now he’s at the Hawks as an assisant after a 10-year stint at the Pies. Prior to that, his first coaching gig out of his playing career was at Carlton under then-coach Brett Ratten. When Harvey was announced as Magpies caretaker last year, Buckley: “I can’t speak highly enough of his credentials as a bloke and as a coach. He’s a very good coach, very good strategically and builds enormously strong relationships across the width and breadth of the football program.”

Don Pyke

Pyke’s time at the Crows – a successful stint on paper, which included a 2017 Grand Final appearance – ended in somewhat messy circumstances. But his influence at the Sydney Swans since joining them as an assistant coach has been well documented, with John Longmire’s side last year improving its ball movement to become a greater attacking threat. The Giants, in their prime, were one of the most entertaining teams to watch in the competition as they unleashed the ‘Orange Tsunami’, as coined by Fox Footy pundit Gerard Healy. Pyke was in the mix for the then-vacant Collingwood gig last yera but pulled out of the race. Before that, he said the idea of senior coaching again was enticing, but questioned whether it was an appropriate next step as he did enjoy the life of an assistant coach. He’s already in Sydney, which helps.

Scott Burns

After playing 265 games for the Magpies, Burns has become one of the AFL’s most highly-regarded assistant coaches. In fact he may have one of the best resumes of any assistant coach, working in numerous roles at West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Adelaide since 2009. With Matthew Nicks sidelined due to the AFL’s health and safety protocols last weekend, Burns stepped up to be caretaker coach against the Blues. After missing out on numerous senior positions over his coaching career, could the Giants give him an opportunity?

Blake Caracella

A dual premiership player and 187-game player across three clubs, Caracella has become one of the AFL’s sharpest and most highly-rated assistant coaches where he’s experienced premiership success at three different clubs. His assistant coaching journey began at the Magpies in 2007 before moving to Geelong in 2010, where he worked under Chris Scott for seven seasons. He also spent three years at Richmond prior to joining Essendon at the end of 2019 in his current role. It’s been reported Caracella has been happy to strategise in the background behind Ben Rutten. But would the prospect of taking over an exciting Giants list appeal to him?

Adem Yze

Another ‘disciple’ of Alastair Clarkson, Yze has been in demand over recent years. The former Melbourne player thrived in multiple positions at Hawthorn over nine years before moving back to the Demons — the club he played 271 AFL games at. He led the Demons to victory over Hawthorn in Round 7 when he filled in as caretaker coach for Simon Goodwin, who was sidelined due to the AFL’s health and safety protocols. In the lead-up to that game, Yze declared he had ambitions to become a senior coach. He missed out on the Crows position at the end of 2019 when Matthew Nicks was appointed, so he’s been around the mark before.

Adam Kingsley

Death, taxes and Kingsley being in the mix to take over a vacant senior coaching role. And he’s due. One of the most experienced assistants in the coaching ranks who has never held a senior position, Kingsley started his journey as an assistant at Port Adelaide in 2007. The majority of his assistant coaching career has been at the Saints — where he served from 2011 to 2018 — before moving to the Tigers in 2019. He attracted interest from both Collingwood and Carlton last year before ultimately losing out to Craig McRae and Michael Voss respectively — and he was stung by being overlooked. But Kingsley told SEN in October: “The disappointment that ensues (from) missing out on a job that you really desire is quite strong. Once you get over that, the reality is that I‘m thereabouts but I’m not there. I‘ve got work to do, so I get back to work and try to improve myself as a coach and the beauty about that is that in itself will improve our (Richmond) players and our footy club.”

Daniel Giansiracusa

Giansiracusa is one of the highest-rated assistant coaches going around. He became an assistant at the Bulldogs in 2015 before stepping into the role as senior coach of Footscray in 2019. Giansiracusa in 2020 was named the AFL Coaches’ Association’s Assistant Coach of the Year before being poached by Essendon for this season as its backline coach.

Four more names to keep an eye on: Mark McVeigh (current assistant and now caretaker at the Giants), Luke Power (Carlton assistant), Jaymie Graham (Fremantle assistant), Ash Hansen (Carlton assistant) and Andrew McQualter (Richmond assistant).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back