Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I am not trying to talk down Clarkson but the backroom staff and assistants he had at the Hawks were pretty impressive and it will be that much harder for the club to recruit similar talent to Sydney in the current soft cap and need to overpay to get people to Sydney even if Clarkson is interested in the job

IMO the soft cap / COLA is in play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The players.
Maybe the players aren't as good as we all think they are? Maybe having so many high first round the are selfish players and can't play as a cohesive unit?
I am fairly comfortable that that's not the case - after all they do make finals, and they do win especially when it's do or die. We just need a coach able to draw that out of them regularly, not just at the last minute.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

GWS Giants boss Dave Matthews has slammed “unsavoury” commentary about outgoing coach Leon Cameron.

The rare move to step down as coach mid-season took the AFL world by surprise and talk quickly turned to potential replacements for Cameron. But Matthews has accused the media of not giving Cameron and the Giants the respect they reserve and labelled the AFL industry one that “death rides coaches”.

“I think we deserve more credit and credibility than you sometimes give us but that’s the position you want to take,” the Giants CEO told footy journalist Sam McClure in a fiery interview on 3AW. Matthews lashed out at criticism Cameron didn’t get the best out of the talented squad of players he had at his disposal. “This is an industry that death rides coaches,” he said. “That’s what they do, the industry, and I don’t like it. I think it’s unsavoury. I don’t actually like what I’ve had to say to people about Leon and defending Leon over a period of time. He’s probably fatigued with that sort of commentary — ‘The keys to the Ferrari and why haven’t you achieved this’. He’s done an outstanding job. He’s a terrific person in football. It’s a long tenure that he’s had in a variety of roles and I think he’s done an outstanding job. He was a brilliant player, he’s been a great assistant coach and in a very difficult set of circumstances he’s coached us very well.”

Matthews was clearly unimpressed with speculation over why Cameron stepped down as coach and declared the decision to part ways with the Giants was an “amicable” one. "Today is really about thanking him and congratulating him. I think today was really well handled. He’s a very decent person.”

Matthews comments came after Richmond great Matthew Richardson said Cameron’s stint at the Giants should have been celebrated more before speculation on his potential successor began. “Why not on the day Leon Cameron steps away we celebrate a coach that won a final 5 of last 6 years,” Richardson tweeted. “Just for the day. Surely we can look at his successors … say tomorrow?”

I am not trying to talk down Clarkson but the backroom staff and assistants he had at the Hawks were pretty impressive and it will be that much harder for the club to recruit similar talent to Sydney in the current soft cap and need to overpay to get people to Sydney even if Clarkson is interested in the job
That is a a bit of the chicken or the egg type scenario

I am fairly comfortable that that's not the case - after all they do make finals, and they do win especially when it's do or die. We just need a coach able to draw that out of them regularly, not just at the last minute.
I think that horrendous injury toll is the reason why we could never get the consistency over a season.
The fans greatly underestimate how big a difference the injuries make to results.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/d...h/news-story/a9de57c87473c877f5d9d777cfab7cea

Former Hawthorn mastermind Alastair Clarkson has declared he is prioritising the potential to win a premiership as he weighs up a potential return to AFL coaching. Clarkson initially told AFL 360 “there’s 18, and hopefully soon 19 clubs that I wouldn’t hesitate to coach”, but then spoke about his desire to find a club with the potential to win a premiership. “It’ll pretty much come down to one thing, for mine. I’d want to get back in the role because I want to win it (the flag),” Clarkson said on Fox Footy. If I didn’t feel like I was the bloke who could take that club or that group of players to win it, then I’d stay out of the game.

Asked whether he was looking purely at the list to fulfil that criteria of the potential to win a premiership, Clarkson said it was more broad than that. “It’s the club, it’s the culture, the vision of the board and whether that aligns with your vision and your set of values. There’s a lot of feeling out that needs to occur in terms of whether there is alignment. And we’re talking about me - that goes with every coach and club, in terms of an interview process,” he said on Fox Footy.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

“I think we deserve more credit and credibility than you sometimes give us but that’s the position you want to take,” the Giants CEO told footy journalist Sam McClure in a fiery interview on 3AW.

Wh?”

When the CEO says “WE deserve more credit” he’s not leaping to Leon’s defence, but defending his own decisions as CEO.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels

GWS Giants boss Dave Matthews has slammed “unsavoury” commentary about outgoing coach Leon Cameron.

The rare move to step down as coach mid-season took the AFL world by surprise and talk quickly turned to potential replacements for Cameron. But Matthews has accused the media of not giving Cameron and the Giants the respect they reserve and labelled the AFL industry one that “death rides coaches”.

“I think we deserve more credit and credibility than you sometimes give us but that’s the position you want to take,” the Giants CEO told footy journalist Sam McClure in a fiery interview on 3AW. Matthews lashed out at criticism Cameron didn’t get the best out of the talented squad of players he had at his disposal. “This is an industry that death rides coaches,” he said. “That’s what they do, the industry, and I don’t like it. I think it’s unsavoury. I don’t actually like what I’ve had to say to people about Leon and defending Leon over a period of time. He’s probably fatigued with that sort of commentary — ‘The keys to the Ferrari and why haven’t you achieved this’. He’s done an outstanding job. He’s a terrific person in football. It’s a long tenure that he’s had in a variety of roles and I think he’s done an outstanding job. He was a brilliant player, he’s been a great assistant coach and in a very difficult set of circumstances he’s coached us very well.”

Matthews was clearly unimpressed with speculation over why Cameron stepped down as coach and declared the decision to part ways with the Giants was an “amicable” one. "Today is really about thanking him and congratulating him. I think today was really well handled. He’s a very decent person.”

Matthews comments came after Richmond great Matthew Richardson said Cameron’s stint at the Giants should have been celebrated more before speculation on his potential successor began. “Why not on the day Leon Cameron steps away we celebrate a coach that won a final 5 of last 6 years,” Richardson tweeted. “Just for the day. Surely we can look at his successors … say tomorrow?”
McClure is the undisputed king of the grubs in the AFL media cesspit. A total smarmy ****head.

Mind you I did hear one pond scum clown at Leon's farewell presser grill him on the unattractive game style. Seriously after a 9 year career and on the day he announces he's lost his job?

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

100% agree with this, his own salary would be over $1mil and then he likely brings in guys he has worked with or ex players he has coached as they know his system better. I worry the effect of wholesale coaching changes would have on the playing group if results didn't go right.

I think that horrendous injury toll is the reason why we could never get the consistency over a season.
The fans greatly underestimate how big a difference the injuries make to results.
I'd dispute that. How can we have the same injury toll from one game to the next, yet put in minimal effort and get rolled by a bottom team and then a max effort to knock over a leader, or at least give them a scare? Inconsistency due to injuries across a season is one thing, but from game to game?

I'd dispute that. How can we have the same injury toll from one game to the next, yet put in minimal effort and get rolled by a bottom team and then a max effort to knock over a leader, or at least give them a scare? Inconsistency due to injuries across a season is one thing, but from game to game?
When you have injuries the players you bring in are often younger less experienced players, in our situation still usually talented, but young players are often inconsistent.
Rookies make rookie errors normally by not being part of a system.

Dr Giant

Debutant
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
This is the first time that we have had a coach change like this, so whilst I am like Dave Matthew’s and very protective of the club, the fact is through one way or another the coach is leaving mid season which wouldn’t be the case if he had a couple of premierships under their belt.

The biggest knock on Leon and the club is the week to week consistency and the fact the we hav to travel around the world for the first 1/3 of the season

To mangle Shakespeare;
I come to praise Caesar, not bury him

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Disagree the problem is effort

The problem is at the strategic level. Everything is a grind, an arm wrestle. There hasn’t been any flow since 2016.

We decide to switch play from the D50; by the time we have switched the opposition is in a better position on the other wing than us.

Players doing circles looking to hit the 45 degree pass inboard but nobody is in position or even thinking about it, just waiting for the inevitable slow down the line.

No coherence. Nothing is downhill, everything is uphill. Eventually it wears you out.

Great credit to the character of Leon and the players to have tried so hard for so long in the circumstances.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
This is, IMHO, an even-handed assessment of Leon's time as coach.

Some excerpts from the story ...

Cameron's post-announcement news conference on Thursday morning reflected goodwill from either side. Not all coach-club relationships need to end in tears, and in the realms of these sorts of news events, this one was decidedly upbeat and good-humoured.

Did Cameron not do enough with a list which for at least a couple of seasons (2016-17) was in terms purely of talent probably the best in the AFL? Or has he been a steady hand at the wheel of a team and club facing unique challenges and which often hasn't had a lot of luck? I tend more towards the latter school of thought.

Cameron's record reads 192 games coached for 101 wins, 87 losses and four draws, a strike rate of 53.65 per cent. In eight-and-a-bit seasons, he's led GWS to a Grand Final, three preliminary finals, and five top eight finishes. The Giants have only missed the top eight once over the past six completed seasons. That consistency in fronting up to the finals challenge is a tick. The win-loss strike rate of 53.65 not so much. It's a significantly lower percentage than Cameron's current peers, Chris Scott, John Longmire and Adam Simpson all batting above 60, Ken Hinkley 59, Damien Hardwick and Luke Beveridge above 56.

When Cameron took over from Sheedy, GWS had only existed as an AFL team for two seasons. In what had been until then virgin territory for Australian football. More significantly, with the spectre of all the club's rivals constantly attempting to poach the Giants' best talents, a seemingly never-ending exodus of stars that never allowed GWS to compete with a completely stable senior list. And often, over the last few seasons, a long injury list consistently stacked with key players.

Cameron and Chris Scott are the only two coaches to have led their teams to finals wins in five of the last six seasons. They've won their share against the odds, too, a couple of times over their local rival, the Swans, and two on the road against Brisbane, then Collingwood en route to that 2019 Grand Final appearance.

It shouldn't be lost on critics, either, that far from the "Ferrari" the Giants list was portrayed as at it best during 2016-17, Cameron has been driving far more of a "Commodore". Negotiating that great a change not only in personnel, but in the entire dynamic of a playing group is no small challenge. It would have been easy for that Ferrari to give up the ghost as key parts of the engine were lost. Instead, the Giants became a decidedly more blue collar outfit with, last season at least, a far more resilient profile.

Anyone who knows him knows he is a very personable and likeable man, with a good sense of humour, a sharp mind and you'd think in coaching terms, an appetite still unfulfilled. Those qualities served the Giants well enough. And at a club with fewer of the sorts of obstacles GWS always seemed up against, they could be even handier assets still.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Here's an interesting take on the vacant coaching position ... I'll just leave it here for everyone to digest ...

Alastair Clarkson is widely thought to be a shoo-in for the vacant GWS coaching job after Leon Cameron stepped down on Thursday - but one of the AFL's top experts has pinpointed a sign Geelong coach Chris Scott is making a push for the role.

David King pointed to Scott's gushing comments about the Giants after Geelong dominated them on their way to a 53-point win last Saturday as evidence he's keen to switch to the Sydney club. Scott was full of praise for the amount of talent at GWS, saying the side is 'stacked' and lauded the Giants for shading his Cats in contested ball despite the heavy defeat. 'I should speak for myself - I understand exactly what it's like to be in a fledgling AFL market,' Scott said.

King told SEN Radio that Scott is off contract with Geelong at the end of the season and his words show he could be 'campaigning for at least a phone call' from GWS. 'I think he was saying everything I bring to the table complements what you guys have already got and what you are now going to be chasing,' King said. 'I think he has put his name up in lights for [GWS CEO] Dave Matthews to at least make the phone call.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back