Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

Please ignore these gimps all.

What would inspire someone to come on an opposition board and post inflammatory material is totally beyond me. Jerks.
simp-pres.gif

Thankfully the GWS board takes it for what it is, light hearted banter.

Agree, it’s absolutely heinous what happened there.

I’d go with Clarko or Hinkley. The team needs a senior voice with authority.
Hinkley would be a disaster. I've never seen him display HC authority or qualities. Go to the Port board for confirmation.
He's overly emotional and suffers from the LC syndrome of playing guys out of position.

While everyone can agree the camp thing was a self-destructive mess, it would be a mistake to assume that Pyke or our club would repeat anything like that again.

Outside Clarkson, I think we have two clear options (as long as they are still interested in the job):
Pyke - experience
Yze - rookie

Hinkley would be a disaster. I've never seen him display HC authority or qualities. Go to the Port board for confirmation.
He's overly emotional and suffers from the LC syndrome of playing guys out of position.

While everyone can agree the camp thing was a self-destructive mess, it would be a mistake to assume that Pyke or our club would repeat anything like that again.

Outside Clarkson, I think we have two clear options (as long as they are still interested in the job):
Pyke - experience
Yze - rookie
Agree to disagree on this one. What happened on that camp was very unfortunate , I don’t he has a leader handled himself well at all.

RE Hinkley, I’m just looking at the other viable options. If we have a massive clean out we could probably have a rookie coach if he has a senior figure and great support.

If not Hinkley would be one of the better credentialed guys left.

He has done a pretty good job at Port over the journey, they’ve generally been competitive and he had managed young players quite well. He’s turned Finlayson from a moody indifferent waste into the most effective ruck in the competition.

I don’t love Hinkley but if we miss Clarkson he might be the best available.

Why would you go Yze necessarily rather than Kingsley/Giansiracusa/Caracella/Burns?
I can't say why those other guys don't deserve a shot. Any of them could be suitable and I respect them greatly.

I will just list what I like about Yze:
Yze has done an excellent apprenticeship under both Clarkson (during the golden era) and now Goodwin.
He's held several roles and worked his way to Senior assistant. No short cuts.
Involved in 4 flags as a coach - he knows what success looks like.
He has proven ability to develop skills.
His game day tactics with Melbourne was a vital piece in their flag run. He understands what the modern game is about.
Anecdotally, he is popular with the players and can still deliver tough feedback.
Coached one game in place of Goodwin earlier this year. 100% win rate ;)

Last edited:
I can't say why those other guys don't deserve a shot. Any of them could be suitable and I respect them greatly.

I will just list what I like about Yze:
Yze has done an excellent apprenticeship under both Clarkson (during the golden era) and now Goodwin.
He's held several roles and worked his way to Senior assistant. No short cuts.
Involved in 4 flags as a coach - he knows what success looks like.
He has proven ability to develop skills.
His game day tactics with Melbourne was a vital piece in their flag run. He understands what the modern game is about.
Anecdotally, he is popular with the players and can still deliver tough feedback.
Coached one game in place of Goodwin earlier this year. 100% win rate ;)
My thoughts are exactly the same on Yze.
If we are going untried, I think he is the option.

Seems from Matthews comments that he sees Clarko up there in a spruiker role as well as actual coach, more akin to what Sheeds did very successfully for you early doors.

Is that a fair read?

My view and obviously I would say this is that I can't really imagine Clarko hamming it up for the back page of the Tele.

Seems from Matthews comments that he sees Clarko up there in a spruiker role as well as actual coach, more akin to what Sheeds did very successfully for you early doors.

Is that a fair read?

My view and obviously I would say this is that I can't really imagine Clarko hamming it up for the back page of the Tele.
Sheeds was the perfect man for the job at the time, but things have moved on since then.
In the Sydney sports market people like winners and if Clarkson brings winning, then that will be enough to get attention, sans hamming it up.
His aura of success and habit of surrounding himself with top people is the main "prize".

Yes, I'd definitely not say "hamming it up", in fact quite the opposite: he'd be a serious coach there to get serious results and sell a serious message. Sheeds was probably a little outrageous in his spruiking approach; partly his nature, but also partly to be able to "grab a headline" and break into league/union-dominated minds in the early days when it was more a concept than reality. Clarko would be selling that message that a new club can succeed, but not starting with barren ground.

The point that counts against Clarko doing that would be his preference to sell a new Tasmanian club rather than a Sydney club.

Sheeds was the perfect man for the job at the time, but things have moved on since then.
In the Sydney sports market people like winners and if Clarkson brings winning, then that will be enough to get attention, sans hamming it up.
His aura of success and habit of surrounding himself with top people is the main "prize".

Fair enough, cheers for response.

This should really only be helpful to us as a rugby league state. Not sure how they could swindle it for North Melbourne in an AFL heartland. Could be the difference given he wants a team but North could also agree to pay the tax.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This should really only be helpful to us as a rugby league state. Not sure how they could swindle it for North Melbourne in an AFL heartland. Could be the difference given he wants a team but North could also agree to pay the tax.

I like the Giants, as close to my second team as there is, and I'm all for expansion into western Sydney.

But of the league effectively tilts the table so dramatically to one club in a situation like this, I mean, come on.

I have no issue with GWS getting extra money to promote the game in the west of Sydney.

Let a thousand orange and grey balloons soar at every community event west of the Anzac Bridge.

But doing this would just piss in the face of the idea of integrity in the league.

Hope he picks North and we don't have to deal with all the circus. Clarkos last few years at Hawthorn weren't exactly great, he takes up such a huge portion of the salary cap. But it's also Clarko and maybe he'll figure it all out and guys will be willing to take pay cuts to work with him and it'll all be good.

I like the Giants, as close to my second team as there is, and I'm all for expansion into western Sydney.

But of the league effectively tilts the table so dramatically to one club in a situation like this, I mean, come on.

I have no issue with GWS getting extra money to promote the game in the west of Sydney.

Let a thousand orange and grey balloons soar at every community event west of the Anzac Bridge.

But doing this would just piss in the face of the idea of integrity in the league.
Understand your concerns but you need to know this is far from a level playing field. Your team is the home of 60% of draftable talent, you have history, membership, strong coterie, father/son, Next Gen.

We have are strong set up allowance which has been severely eroded, AFL support, coterie group, Academy.

Our initial Academy boundary has been strongly reduced (Cheers Eddie) we won’t have any father sons for at least 18 years, we are in a rugby league stronghold, have all the league stronghold teams constantly targeting our kids.

We have higher cost of living but no cola which impinges our ability to keep players and recruit coaching assistants.

If the AFL give us a leg up in this one area its necessary as it’s hardly a level playing field. Right now it really seems we are designed to be a development team, as is Gold Coast.

If this continues the small group of fans we have will lose hope and probably lose interest in the team.

Last edited:
Understand your concerns but you need to know this is far from a level playing field. Your team is the home of 60% of draftable talent, you have history, membership, strong coterie, father/son, Next Gen.

We have are strong set up allowance which has been severely eroded, AFL support, coterie group, Academy.

Our initial Academy boundary has been strongly reduced (Cheers Eddie) we won’t have any father sons for at least 18 years, we are in a rugby league stronghold, have all the league stronghold teams constantly targeting our kids.

We have higher cost of living but no cola which impinges our ability to keep players and recruit coaching assistants.

If the AFL give us a leg up in this one area its necessary as it’s hardly a level playing field. Right now it really seems we are designed to be a development team, as is Gold Coast.

If this continues the small group of fans we have will lose hope and probably lose interest in the team.

All fair points. Given I'm on your board and emotions are high, I'll drop off here.

The sooner Shepherd goes, the better. His ideology is totally unsuited to what we need.

All very well and good to boast that Sydney is for winners when you're overloaded with draft concessions, but those days are long gone. Take a look at our decline in the number of games won since 2016.

We need someone like Richard Colless who was able to break the longest premiership drought in history.

The sooner Shepherd goes, the better. His ideology is totally unsuited to what we need.

All very well and good to boast that Sydney is for winners when you're overloaded with draft concessions, but those days are long gone. Take a look at our decline in the number of games won since 2016.

We need someone like Richard Colless who was able to break the longest premiership drought in history.
The difference was that the Swans weren't owned by the 'VFL' as are the Giants. Colless, in his second stint as a Chairman (so he was a seasoned campaigner) was more than happy to take-on Melbourne-central publicly whenever and where-ever he considered necessary. Shepherd doesn't have that luxury. A change in leadership to reflect a new dynamic is a good point you bring up; though I would be against change for its own sake.

The difference was that the Swans weren't owned by the 'VFL' as are the Giants. Colless, in his second stint as a Chairman (so he was a seasoned campaigner) was more than happy to take-on Melbourne-central publicly whenever and where-ever he considered necessary. Shepherd doesn't have that luxury. A change in leadership to reflect a new dynamic is a good point you bring up; though I would be against change for its own sake.
Shepherd is not meeting his KPIs.

We know what happens in the corporate world when you don't meet your KPIs.

The difference was that the Swans weren't owned by the 'VFL' as are the Giants. Colless, in his second stint as a Chairman (so he was a seasoned campaigner) was more than happy to take-on Melbourne-central publicly whenever and where-ever he considered necessary.

Sorry but that is just wrong the swans are no different to us they run under an afl appointed board Colless was just willing to ruffle feathers. Shepherd is a clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back