Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

It's an interesting one, he would have 15 years experience in assistant roles but when you break it down, worked under Neil Craig for a few years as the team was sliding and Craig resigned. Then goes to Collingwood under Buckley after the Malthouse handover, again team slides each year. Goes back to Adelaide under Pyke the year after Richmond beats them in the GF and gets suspended for 6 weeks for taking an illegal training session and breaking Covid rules. Was then an assistant to Josh Fraser at the Bullants but Covid wiped out the season and then ended up the head coach there. The Bullants have very little resources to compete against AFL aligned clubs. Dunno where the Kingsley connection comes from.

It's an interesting one, he would have 15 years experience in assistant roles but when you break it down, worked under Neil Craig for a few years as the team was sliding and Craig resigned. Then goes to Collingwood under Buckley after the Malthouse handover, again team slides each year. Goes back to Adelaide under Pyke the year after Richmond beats them in the GF and gets suspended for 6 weeks for taking an illegal training session and breaking Covid rules. Was then an assistant to Josh Fraser at the Bullants but Covid wiped out the season and then ended up the head coach there. The Bullants have very little resources to compete against AFL aligned clubs. Dunno where the Kingsley connection comes from.
Also does that mean he was at the crows for the infamous 'camp'. That doesn't sit well.

Tadhg Kennelly has been appointed as the new Head Coach of the GIANTS Academy.

You guys will Love Kingsley, and love or hate the tigers, you cant argue that we have created a club that players want to be at.

He was a very important part of our culture and the players genuinely appreciated him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if Kindsley hits up Lenny Hayes as a potential assistant now that Ratten has been sacked and there's probably quite a bit of uncertainty about whether he's going to be kept on when the new coach comes in, they would've overlapped a for a few years towards the end of Hayes' career and when Kingsley spent quite a few years at St Kilda

Wonder if Kindsley hits up Lenny Hayes as a potential assistant now that Ratten has been sacked and there's probably quite a bit of uncertainty about whether he's going to be kept on when the new coach comes in, they would've overlapped a for a few years towards the end of Hayes' career and when Kingsley spent quite a few years at St Kilda
Lenny being a Sydney boy also helps with the reluctance for many to come here.
Might be a bit late in the piece, but worth a shot

Lenny being a Sydney boy also helps with the reluctance for many to come here.
Might be a bit late in the piece, but worth a shot
Yeah McVeigh leaving opens up one more spot so would think he'd be one they contact or maybe anyone else on that Saints staff that can see the writing on the wall a bit that may have a connection with Kingsley

Josh Kennedy from Sydney anyone? I am sure Tom Green would be down for that

Laidler rounds out Adam Kingsley’s assistant coaches for the upcoming AFL season, joining Port Adelaide Club Champion Brett Montgomery, Adelaide great Ben Hart, and current assistant Craig Jennings. Ruck coach Shane Mumford will also continue his part-time role with the club.

Post Draft Round 1 team

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Ash Buckley Idun
Whitfield Green Perryman
Greene HH Stone
Daniels Hogan Bedford

Briggs Cogs Kelly

Callaghan Fahey Cadman Ward
  • Feel like Cadman is the only rookie that's got a shot to play round 1 everyone else has probably got a bit more development left to do, maybe Jones gets a go but he's still a pretty smol boi at this stage.
  • Only thing I've heard about HH's position for this year is Riley Bev last night saying after talking to people at the club he thinks he'll play as a forward, probably not where I'd be playing him in but makes things fit a bit easier and sort of relying on Haynes having a bounce back year because last year was very weird and interupted for him.
  • Maybe opens the door for someone like Gruzewski if Haynes doesn't bounce back and they persist on HH up forward he might be able to play that role, that's a role that allows him to just play on instincts and using his marking ability and not nesseccarily relient on him learning heaps of craft and developing as much as playing a true KPD spot.
  • Feel like Finn is a sneaky chance to not be ready for round 1 Caruso said in an interview the other day "even if we don't see him at the start of the year we're not too worried" hopefully that's not the case but might be time to prepare ourselves for that possibility. Same goes for Daniels and Stone so could mean we see Peatling and maybe even Jones gets some early run if those aren't ready or have set backs.
  • Excited for Fahey this year think him and Cumming could make a real good distributing duo out of the back third to get our attacks going.
  • Crazy to think last year and previous years we were squeezing in 2/3 extra inside mids on top of the one already in the team, at least on paper makes me appreaciate the better balance we have this year

Last edited:
Post Draft Round 1 team

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Ash Buckley Idun
Whitfield Green Perryman
Greene HH Stone
Daniels Hogan Bedford

Briggs Cogs Kelly

• Feel like Cadman is the only rookie that's got a shot to play round 1 everyone else has probably got a bit more development left to do, maybe Jones gets a go but he's still a pretty smol boi at this stage.
  • Only thing I've heard about HH's position for this year is Riley Bev last night saying after talking to people at the club he thinks he'll play as a forward, probably not where I'd be playing him in but makes things fit a bit easier and sort of relying on Haynes having a bounce back year because last year was very weird and interupted for him.
  • Maybe opens the door for someone like Gruzewski if Haynes doesn't bounce back and they persist on HH up forward he might be able to play that role, that's a role that allows him to just play on instincts and using his marking ability and not nesseccarily relient on him learning heaps of craft and developing as much as playing a true KPD spot.
  • Feel like Finn is a sneaky chance to not be ready for round 1 Caruso said in an interview the other day "even if we don't see him at the start of the year we're not too worried" hopefully that's not the case but might be time to prepare ourselves for that possibility. Same goes for Daniels and Stone so could mean we see Peatling and maybe even Jones gets some early run if those aren't ready or have set backs.
  • Excited for Fahey this year think him and Cumming could make a real good distributing duo out of the back third to get our attacks going.
  • Crazy to think last year and previous years we were squeezing in 2/3 extra inside mids on top of the one already in the team, at least on paper makes me appreaciate the better balance we have this year

For the best part of 5 years we had only about 4 spots up for grab when its came to best 22 with the rest of the spots pretty much locked in. While this time around you could argue that only 50% of the best 22 is pretty much locked in with the other spots up for grabs and will be interesting to see who stands up with a new coaching staff and new game plan in place.

Post Draft Round 1 team

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Ash Buckley Idun
Whitfield Green Perryman
Greene HH Stone
Daniels Hogan Bedford

Briggs Cogs Kelly

I'm curious, why have you got Briggs as your number 1 ruck... my understanding was he's still considered our 3rd best option.

Also, if you have Briggs as the sole ruck, who do you have supporting? I never want to see Tom Green have to squaring up for a bounce ever again.

I'm curious, why have you got Briggs as your number 1 ruck... my understanding was he's still considered our 3rd best option.

Also, if you have Briggs as the sole ruck, who do you have supporting? I never want to see Tom Green have to squaring up for a bounce ever again.
I sort of just put Briggs in but wouldn't be too fussed if you choose Preuss as well, thought when Briggs finally got a chance in the last few games of the year he competed pretty well and looked spry. The ruck position is still a wide open race for me at this point could be any of them, have to see whether Briggs or Flynn have developed a bit more and if Preuss can be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back