Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd agree or partly agree with a few comments, but some others are a bit 'Derr, he doesn't really know much about the facts does he, or stating the bleeding obvious?'
  • 'Greene needs to build a tank and play midfield-forward like Dusty Martin'. Where does he think Toby started? And where does Toby run through in most games at times? But the previous two comments are right, he works brilliantly in what he's been doing, mainly receiving, some crumbing and some up-the-field contesting & distributing - worth a look at his kilometres travelled in attack.
  • 'GWS keep Patton in the goal square.' WTF? Patton bobs up in the backline at the end of most quarters or when needed, & on the wing on kick outs. Yes, he ends up in the goal square - I'd hope so as our premier power forward.
  • Patton-Lobb sharing ruck/forward. Isn't that what we've seen the last 2 games, Coach Obvious?
  • 'Mummy is just about shot.' Yes, seems to be the case, but an obvious statement.
  • 'I'm sick of seeing Cameron on the back flank when he's a full forward.' Jezza's been criticised in the past for not roaming enough, now when he does roam and gets great stats, he gets criticised again?
  • 'They need a great small forward.' Agree - just need to work out how to get a classy one. Greene's been great, but needs a mate.
  • 'Leon Cameron needs to show more imagination in the box.' Yes, I can agree on that. Needs a tactical genius assistant or mentor.

remember54

Debutant
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Hope not, one of the main reasons he was the mid who became a permanent fwd to get games is his DE is pretty average, he is a much better receiver than a distributor

Fair enough, don't have the knowledge to comment one way or the other. That said, would moving him into the mid for some of the less high-pressure games be worth doing to give him more opportunities to improve his DE? Or do players generally reach a point where there's little likelihood they're going to dramatically overcome existing shortcomings?

remember54

Debutant
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Jezza's been criticised in the past for not roaming enough, now when he does roam and gets great stats, he gets criticised again?

Yeah I thought this was a bizarre criticism, especially considering Cameron seems to do pretty well when he moves back to the defensive half. Or anywhere for that matter!

I'd agree or partly agree with a few comments, but some others are a bit 'Derr, he doesn't really know much about the facts does he, or stating the bleeding obvious?'
  • 'Greene needs to build a tank and play midfield-forward like Dusty Martin'. Where does he think Toby started? And where does Toby run through in most games at times? But the previous two comments are right, he works brilliantly in what he's been doing, mainly receiving, some crumbing and some up-the-field contesting & distributing - worth a look at his kilometres travelled in attack.
  • 'GWS keep Patton in the goal square.' WTF? Patton bobs up in the backline at the end of most quarters or when needed, & on the wing on kick outs. Yes, he ends up in the goal square - I'd hope so as our premier power forward.
  • Patton-Lobb sharing ruck/forward. Isn't that what we've seen the last 2 games, Coach Obvious?
  • 'Mummy is just about shot.' Yes, seems to be the case, but an obvious statement.
  • 'I'm sick of seeing Cameron on the back flank when he's a full forward.' Jezza's been criticised in the past for not roaming enough, now when he does roam and gets great stats, he gets criticised again?
  • 'They need a great small forward.' Agree - just need to work out how to get a classy one. Greene's been great, but needs a mate.
  • 'Leon Cameron needs to show more imagination in the box.' Yes, I can agree on that. Needs a tactical genius assistant or mentor.
Walls is still coaching for the 80s and 90s. Never changed.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
There was something in Luke Power's comments that the Giants, well 7 or 8 of them, aren't tough enough.
Don't know which players he had in mind but can guess that Wilson and Corr would be included. We have the players, but need a bit more mongrel.

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
New forward and/or mid coach(es). Not sure which one is the cause of poor forward entries and very little defensive pressure coming out. We ranked first for clearances so I start to think new forwards coach (currently Buchanan).

Some stats for our forward line:
8th for inside 50s (despite 1st from clearances from stoppages)
13th for marks inside 50 (poor leading patterns/set ups given we were second for disposal efficiency)
13th for tackles inside 50 per inside 50 ratio (poor forward pressure)
I couldn't find any data about "pressure acts" but I dare-say we lack there as well.

That to me points to the forward coach not getting the best out of his players. Whether that is because he is not so good at his job or his players don't see eye-to-eye. Could I point some of Toby's frustration during the year could stem from this. Just speculation.

But I have now convinced myself while writing this we need a better forwards coach!

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I hope some heat goes onto the coaching group over the off season.
Luke Powers comments were extremely interesting. I wonder who he was referring to.....

I hope some heat goes onto the coaching group over the off season.
Luke Powers comments were extremely interesting. I wonder who he was referring to.....
Hard to know without knowing whom he was talking about, it wasn't even clear to me he meant players

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
New forward and/or mid coach(es). Not sure which one is the cause of poor forward entries and very little defensive pressure coming out. We ranked first for clearances so I start to think new forwards coach (currently Buchanan).

Some stats for our forward line:
8th for inside 50s (despite 1st from clearances from stoppages)
13th for marks inside 50 (poor leading patterns/set ups given we were second for disposal efficiency)
13th for tackles inside 50 per inside 50 ratio (poor forward pressure)
I couldn't find any data about "pressure acts" but I dare-say we lack there as well.

That to me points to the forward coach not getting the best out of his players. Whether that is because he is not so good at his job or his players don't see eye-to-eye. Could I point some of Toby's frustration during the year could stem from this. Just speculation.

But I have now convinced myself while writing this we need a better forwards coach!
Half of your concern speak to team defence - tackles and pressure acts. That is Nick Walsh's area.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
No our tackle stats are good. It’s he tackles I50 that is the issue
Tackle count is just one aspect of team defence. Not saying it is a problem, just pointing out it is Nick Walsh's area. I think Spike, Walsh and Buchannan are possibly weak links. So hard to judge from the outside. However, backline organisation looks to have gone backward a little, team defence is not matching top team standards, and forward line is almost dysfunctional at times.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Tackle count is just one aspect of team defence. Not saying it is a problem, just pointing out it is Nick Walsh's area. I think Spike, Walsh and Buchannan are possibly weak links. So hard to judge from the outside. However, backline organisation looks to have gone backward a little, team defence is not matching top team standards, and forward line is almost dysfunctional at times.
Really? You think the backline organization has gone backwards? I think it’s improved considerably

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Really? You think the backline organization has gone backwards? I think it’s improved considerably
Yep. Still one of our strong areas no doubt, but compared to last year, not as good. The development of Individuals has compensated. Corr, Tommo and Willo have each improved again this year. Phil consistent. Haynes and Williams a bit up and down.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Yep. Still one of our strong areas no doubt, but compared to last year, not as good. The development of Individuals has compensated. Corr, Tommo and Willo have each improved again this year. Phil consistent. Haynes and Williams a bit up and down.
Got any evidence to back that up? I’m obviously skeptical but interested in your view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back