Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

Oh dude, evidence? Really? I have given plenty of insight, but not much from you. Happy enough to have a difference of opinion.
Well haven’t you just taken that the wrong way. It will be the last time I ask for your opinion don’t you worry

Well haven’t you just taken that the wrong way. It will be the last time I ask for your opinion don’t you worry
I won't be worrying at all. Maybe I have taken it the wrong way. From my perspective, I am feeling like I have to justify my opinion with hard data or multiple examples. Since when are we on the hook to prove our opinions on this forum? I would have enjoyed hearing your view, other than that you don't agree. Surely these discussions should be two way exchange of views?

We are on the same side, so....

It's not really evidence I can table here, but Al McConnell (at a 200 Club function) did provide some great insights and recorded vision of the struggles the backline have had with their organisation this year. Part of it is predictability and some of that predictability comes down to Heater's decisions and preferred plays. They had to drop him from kick ins as the opposition could predict that 90% of the time he would kick to himself and run off to the right. When he does go left, he is a strong chance to kick out of bounds. Just one example, and I am sure Spike will be working with Leon on plans to freshen things up down back...as all good teams should. As an aside, Al provided insights from across the team, the backline fared very well. May of our problems remained problems through to the end unfortunately.

That's a good insight. I was thinking something similar myself, that while most individuals had improved, they all had occasional nightmare games, and collectively had let in more goals (some of course is down to midfield problems) than last year. I know at a couple of games, most notably the Bulldogs game at Manuka, our defence had struggled to get the ball out of our D50 and repeatedly turned it over. Some of it was being very slow in restarting, so guys would present options early, get blown off by whoever was kicking in (often Heater) and then once the Bulldogs set up their defence there was no-one to kick to except for a contest. (Complete contrast to when our opposition were kicking in from our behinds.) Saw similar in a number of other games, most notably those we lost where good opposition teams took advantage most of our problems.

I get the feeling that the coaching appointments have to 'make do' with what they've been dealt.
The wealth of the coaching staff don't appear to mirror that of the playing staff, IMO.
What happened to Tim Schmidt?
Who will take Al McConnell's role in the pre-season when he's fully occupied with AFLW?
Who will be mentoring the Lobbsta in his first year as 1st choice ruck, now that Brogan has left?
Why appoint another Saints/ Swans ex player (Schneider, after Buchanan and Hayes) with no previous coaching experience who will also have to learn on the job?
Where can the Giants improve tactically, on match day and in preparation?

How do we get back to our best free-flowing football? How do we beat other teams pressure games?
How do we win consistently at the MCG?

I get the feeling that the coaching appointments have to 'make do' with what they've been dealt.
The wealth of the coaching staff don't appear to mirror that of the playing staff, IMO.
Who will take Al McConnell's role in the pre-season when he's fully occupied with AFLW?
Who will be mentoring the Lobbsta in his first year as 1st choice ruck, now that Brogan has left?
Why appoint another Saints/ Swans ex player (Schneider, after Buchanan and Hayes) with no previous coaching experience who will also have to learn on the job?

How do we get back to our best free-flowing football? How do we beat other teams pressure games?
Schnieder was an extremely good pressure fwd, suspect as an area of focus he has almost a single purpose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some really good questions.

To me it’s not about talent. People say we’re weaker but the reality is Mumford has been cooked all year, Smith wasn’t getting a game and Wilson whilst an attacking gun was a defensive liability.

What it really is about this group is the desire to be team men above individual stars.

Devon Smith I am sorry but in my eyes he was a bum. Sure he laid tackles (particularly in the early years) and according to Champion Data was an elite pressure forward, but in reality Devon was challenged this year to do a specific role and he failed miserably at it.

Our problem is that we have a lot of players that want to be stars and do the flashy stuff but the reality is we need them to perform roles.

When you see our blokes burn team mates and go for glory goals it is symptomatic of the problems we have in managing egos.

The biggest challenge for Leon and his team is managing those egos.

Mark Williams might be seen as old school and out of touch but he was a guy who commanded respect.

No doubt some of the kids hated him but they all respected him and the sad reality is we defended with more care when he was around even though we were largely uncompetitive.

I’ve heard there was a strong emphasis on defence last year in the off season but it really wasn’t evident through the year.

Our players have some really bad habits and it will take a lot of work to unlearn some of them.

In my mind a hard man coming in might not be such a bad thing, they get plenty of kisses and cuddles but that sometimes breeds softness.

If nothing else if this off season teaches the lads to run both ways and defend for their life I will see it as a success.

If it is more of the same we will make the finals on talent but not be a genuine contender for the holy grail. Just my opinion.

The biggest challenge for Leon and his team is managing those egos.

Mark Williams might be seen as old school and out of touch but he was a guy who commanded respect.

No doubt some of the kids hated him but they all respected him and the sad reality is we defended with more care when he was around even though we were largely uncompetitive.

I’ve heard there was a strong emphasis on defence last year in the off season but it really wasn’t evident through the year.

Our players have some really bad habits and it will take a lot of work to unlearn some of them.

In my mind a hard man coming in might not be such a bad thing, they get plenty of kisses and cuddles but that sometimes breeds softness.

If nothing else if this off season teaches the lads to run both ways and defend for their life I will see it as a success.

If it is more of the same we will make the finals on talent but not be a genuine contender for the holy grail. Just my opinion.

The problem in this day and age is that that kind of improvement needs to be driven by the players. If it's imposed on them by a Mark Williams or a Rodney Eade then we've already seen what happens - either the coach goes or the players go or both. With it being so easy to request and obtain a trade anywhere else you need to have the player buy-in to get the culture changed.

Richmond did it by recruiting and playing players with that defensive mindset. Hardwick didn't magically change after six (or however many) years in the job. Instead they went out and got guys like Rioli and so on, and then played them in preference to those who wouldn't chase. Townsend came from a probable delisting to a fixture because of this.

We've gotten rid of some of our less defensively minded players (to put it generously) in Stevie J, Smith and Wilson. We've brought in players like de Boer who cemented his position through that same defensive mindset. We've seen other players like Jezza this year (before his injury) and Cogs last year step up their game in that area. Whitfield too has developed well, though I'd like to see Shiel do more.

As a result I think we're getting there and getting serious about it, all without putting the players offside (well, unless your name is Devon)... the last step is to replace the above three with players to whom pressure acts are second nature. Honeychurch might be one such option. Kennedy coming back would be a nice boost. We'll see who else puts their hand up.

The problem in this day and age is that that kind of improvement needs to be driven by the players. If it's imposed on them by a Mark Williams or a Rodney Eade then we've already seen what happens - either the coach goes or the players go or both. With it being so easy to request and obtain a trade anywhere else you need to have the player buy-in to get the culture changed.

Richmond did it by recruiting and playing players with that defensive mindset. Hardwick didn't magically change after six (or however many) years in the job. Instead they went out and got guys like Rioli and so on, and then played them in preference to those who wouldn't chase. Townsend came from a probable delisting to a fixture because of this.

We've gotten rid of some of our less defensively minded players (to put it generously) in Stevie J, Smith and Wilson. We've brought in players like de Boer who cemented his position through that same defensive mindset. We've seen other players like Jezza this year (before his injury) and Cogs last year step up their game in that area. Whitfield too has developed well, though I'd like to see Shiel do more.

As a result I think we're getting there and getting serious about it, all without putting the players offside (well, unless your name is Devon)... the last step is to replace the above three with players to whom pressure acts are second nature. Honeychurch might be one such option. Kennedy coming back would be a nice boost. We'll see who else puts their hand up.

I think the Richmond example is very specific. Leppitsch has added hardness and structure to defence, Blake Caracella coaching strategy. Hardwick has the love and respect of he players and is the father figure. It’s a compelling mix. I do wish we would invest a bit more in this area but as the AFL team we are always scrutinised and frugal in this important area.

While I have been critical of our coaching throughout the year, I do acknowledge that it is not an easy thinkg to fix. I would be concerned to pick up someone with experience who has been out of the game for a few years because the game changes so much in 12 months let alone a few years. That leavs either ex players who are just moving into coaching jobs and existing coaches who are successful. The latter is difficult to find and there aren't that many around. I suppose it explains whey we are pursuing the former.

Although I really do agree with dlanod that the most successful change comes when it is player driven and led. It will be interesting to see who next year's leadership group includes and whether or not it promotes someone (like a kennedy) who places high emphasis on that part of their game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back