Giants Coaching. Your thoughts. | BigFooty

Giants Coaching. Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'GWS Giants' started by General Giant, Jul 16, 2017.

1. General Giant

General Giant Brownlow Medallist

GWS
    With all the different opinions I thought we should have a thread.

Is Leon doing a good job?

Does he need more experience in his assistants?

Is injuries playing a part?

As in the title any personal attacks on poster or the man himself will get deleted by mods with full support by OP

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Giant Strides

Giant Strides Moderator

GWS
    I have to admit that I find this aspect the most difficult to judge. It's always easy to blame players' form, injuries and umpires for losses, but coaching strategies & gameplans become a complex series of questions. How experienced are the group? What strategies are they capable of executing? Is the gameplan too simple? Is it too complex? Do players revert to certain preferred plays when under pressure? Is there a Plan B, and can the players revert to it easily? etc

GWS bolted into the top 8 for the first time last year and made it (somewhat fortuitously IMHO) into top 4. Was that good coaching, or a bit of luck that our gamestyle worked against other teams? Conversely, it hasn't worked as well for us this year, so it that the other coaches working our gameplan out and counteracting, without Leon & the coaches being able to call upon Plan B. The recurring issues inside F50 and coming out of defensive kick-ins do concern me, and that they seem have a causal factor in coaching - the bombing into F50 without working out a better way. Sometimes it works when the General is leading and clunking well, or Rory is standing tall. However, too many times we don't take the grab and it rebounds too easily. However, some have called for only 2 talls in the forward line to help the defensive pressure, but that didn't help us with the Swans last night. That can (and does IMHO) to the players selected. However, it is too easy to say that we need a 'player X' - the problem is judging from the draft who will become that 'player X' in future. As well, while we haven't played great this year, apart from the blowout in round 1, we've been near enough in all our games and won enough to be top 3 still (now) & top of the ladder a couple of times thus far. So I don't think that the coaching is that far off. I don't know how many changes of plan/style that Leon has in him though.

Team selections are always topical. I supported keeping Stevie J for the extra year, and with the series of injuries it's a bit hard to say it has been a major **** up to play him. Similarly, Reid & Lloyd have gotten games because of injuries & the inherent list composition to work within TPP. Yes, as players come back it becomes a pertinent question as to what is the optimum side. Bottom line is that winners are grinners and the team selections become 'great choices'. When you don't win, the questions come. Let's say that I think we could have given Setterfield a go this week, but understand going for experience instead, so I'm not at a point of rebelling against the selection committee yet.

I think that the coaches are still developing and there's definitely room for improvement. Tactical gameplan (including Plans B & C) is probably the focus there, and then working with the players to ensure they can switch as required.

3. _GT_

_GT_ Never Surrender

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
    Is Leon doing a good job? Yes, he is. A great people manager, communicator and has a clear vision of what he wants his team to achieve. He isn't the most creative or innovative coach going around, but is that what we need with such a talented list?

Does he need more experience in his assistants? As I have said elsewhere, it would be interesting to move Al McConnell into a full time director coaching role and add another experienced assistant who can bring a fresh perspective that compliments Leon's. Having said that, I don't think our experience profile is all that bad. Replacing Brogan EOY will present an opportunity to attract another talent.

Are injuries playing a part? Absolutely. Just unsettles the team, players coming in are always going to struggle to come up to speed, and when first 22 players return they take a while to hit their straps.

4. Andre the Giant

Andre the Giant Premiership Player

GWS
    Word is we are pretty heavily into Dean Solomon from the Gold Coast Suns.

If Solomon doesn't get a start as a Head Coach at the Suns or Collingwood he would be a chance of joining.

Very well regarded.

dlanod and _GT_ like this.
  5. Gigantic

Gigantic Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Rabbitohs, Liverpool, Phoenix Suns
    The first word that comes to mind when thinking of Leon's demeanour is: stoic. He doesn't give much away, pre-game or post-game. He's calm and collected. That's not always a good thing for the fans and spectators as we all want answers to our questions, but sometimes some things are better left unsaid. It all comes down to preference but I'm fine with his emotionally-neutral approach to communicating to the media, fans etc.

I think he has done a great job and surely still holds a bit of credit in the bank for where he got us last year. He seems to have control of the playing group (from my perspective as an outsider) and like has been mentioned, he is a great people manager.

I think head coaches in general probably cop a lot more than they deserve. Of course that just comes with the job, but I don't think he should cop it all for the poor tactics or being out-coached, not all the time.

_GT_ likes this.
  6. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    I like that we #NeverSurrender

I don't like that while we usually have the edge in midfield contests, we don't take full advantage.

Good at coaching grit. Not so good at coaching strategy.

He's the anti-Don Pyke

7. Determinant

Determinant Moderator

GWS
    Other Teams:
    St Kilda, Dragons, Bucks
    It must be hard to train a strategy for a game into your players when at the last minute each week someone scrambles your available tiles.

8. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    Those themes have been pretty consistent for a while now. In my opinion!

9. dlanod

dlanod Moderator

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
    I think trying to read someone's coaching style from how they appear in press conferences and media appearances is a joke.

I do think there are deficiencies in our coaching though, but I'm not holding out much hope in that changing any time soon given the success Cameron has had so far. It feels like we're expected talent to win out on every line, and that just doesn't work. However this year has been a bit of a wash with pressure midfielders like Coniglio and Griffen missing, leaving a gaping problem in that once we've lost the ball we get the ball back (if we do) in our defensive area rather than a quick rebound.

Andre the Giant and kulak like this.
  10. Orange Agent

Orange Agent Premiership Player

GWS
    I like his no-frills approach, there is no Hardwick and Buckley like bs in trying to paper over cracks or total spin about where the team is at. The efficiency of our fwd line considering the talent in it is really frustrating but the way the game is played currently impacts a lot on this. To be in our ladder position with the available players he has had this year to date is an absolute credit to him and you dont win close games and come back from 4 goals down in games like we have if the players dont believe in the structures the coach has put in place. We are now at the point where opposition coaches are putting in a lot of work during the week to beat us, and each week we are being hunted, this is the pressure being a top side brings and with it comes extra scruitiny.

11. gee whiz giant

gee whiz giant Team Captain

GWS
    Other Teams:
    the Toffees, the Bays.
    After Friday nights game in the Essendon rooms, they talked to 3 ex-AFL coaches, Neeld, McKenna & Harvey, who are all assistant coaches to Woosha. That's an experienced coaching staff.

Leon needs assistance thinking through match day moves, perhaps someone with a little Sheedy-like cunning. Leon is good in many, many ways, but a bit of cunning couldn't hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Danny88

Danny88 Club Legend

GWS
    I think the coaching has been good. There is a clear plan to move the ball quickly to the forwards and to try an generate a one on one with either Toby or the talls. Its a good evolution from the "orange wave from a few years ago. The obvious problem is that when we don;t get that quick ball movement we end up bombing it in. OUr conversion rate going forward after generating the inside 50 is an area of concern but I think the players have shown poor pressure rather than bee poorly coached.

I also like the fact we can now change gears and control posession in the backline when required. It shows development.

I think we saw poor coaching in the draws where we shut up shop for the last 5 mins and just tried to hold on against an opposition trying to win. It meant we had few options down the line to get the ball out of our half and we paid the price for it. I hope we have learned from that

Overall I think the coaching is really good

dlanod likes this.
  13. Cyg1992

Cyg1992 Rookie

Sydney
    I definitely think injuries are taking a toll. Cameron isn't a top level coach like Clarko for example, but he isn't bad either and not deserving of the massive criticism thrown at him lately I feel.

Expect to (and hope to) see you guys right in there fighting at the pointy end of the season.

14. General Giant

GWS

15. General Giant

GWS
    Making sure that we have stability. Hopefully that brings on a few more re-signings.

16. Simmofreo

Simmofreo Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    Well there you go lol

May as well not even discuss the coaching now as its not changing

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

captainMyCaptain likes this.
  17. General Giant

GWS
    Not true. This is also about his assistants, his style etc.

Im glad he is staying as i do think he can be a great coach.
    Just hope the support staff are there.

18. _GT_

_GT_ Never Surrender

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
    Backing the club on Leon. There will be performance clauses no doubt.

Determinant likes this.
  19. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    A few stats on the team after 17 games so far this year.

"Capability" type stats
    • Contested possession differential #4 (+6.1)
    • Clearance differential #1 (+8.1)
    • Inside 50 differential #5 (+3.7)
    • Most points scored #5 (97 per game)
    • Fewest points conceded #6 (85 per game)
    • Tackles #13 (67 per game)
    • Free kick differential #17 (-2.0 per game) -- shockingly, the Dogs are #1 at +3.2 per game...
    "Gamestyle" type stats
    • Intercepts #17 (65 per game) -- the other top 8 clubs are all in the top 8 for intercepts
    • Turn Overs #17 (66 per game)
    • Bounces #2 (10 per game)
    • Disposal efficiency #2 (75%)

Giant Strides likes this.
  20. kulak

kulak Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    GWS
    I reckon that lines up fairly well with the eyeball test.

1. We don't force too many turnovers (low intercepts). Intercepts lead to easy scoring chances. Low intercepts = more hard work to score.

2. We don't concede too many turnovers (low turn overs, high disposal efficiency). Low risk ball movement, kick down the line more often than not. Don't risk a costly turn-over, but also don't create easy scoring chances for us.

It's a contested arm-wrestle for both teams. Low risk. Grind it out.

I'd say that's the way Leon likes it.

For me I am still luke-warm on Leon.
    • Against good teams and coaches it feels like there are very few easy goals. For example: I would like to see some more structure around the times we do switch. From watching at the games last year I felt like often the opposition knew we were going to switch at the same time we did. This stuff should be programmed-in during preseason, it shouldn't rely on Shaw or Stevie J issuing instructions in real-time.
    • The overall philosophy is right for the team. We aren't an outside running team of silky ball users, we are an inside grinding team of contest-winners.
    • I love the spirit and grit which has been a constant.
    He's not as good as Clarkson. He's not as bad as Crazy Vossy. He's alright. He might yet prove to be the right coach for this team at the right time, or maybe not.

No doubt whatever happens this year is partly influenced by injury. Will be interesting to see how the year finishes, and what happens next year. Some of the football in 2016 was fabulous and it's easy to forget that with some of the frustrating grind-fests we have watched this season.

Giant Strides likes this.
  21. Orange Agent

Orange Agent Premiership Player

GWS
    Haynes missing half the season makes up a lot missing intercepts.

Determinant likes this.
  22. General Giant

GWS

Bokonon_ likes this.
  23. Bokonon_

Bokonon_ Cancelled

GWS
    :pNo more extra man in the zone?

24. remember54

remember54 Debutant

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    GWS Giants
    I thought this piece on SEN was interesting: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/25/play-this-giant-like-dusty-urges-former-coach/

I'm not familiar enough with the list or game plan to give a real opinion on this (and it's pretty easy for every former coach to give their two cents without any skin in the game), but I can see Greene taking on a midfield role with ease so perhaps it's something for Cameron and his staff to look into during the off-season?

25. Determinant

Determinant Moderator

GWS
    Other Teams:
    St Kilda, Dragons, Bucks
    Hope not, one of the main reasons he was the mid who became a permanent fwd to get games is his DE is pretty average, he is a much better receiver than a distributor