Pres

Club Legend
Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Leon copped a fair bit of grief at the Presser re playing two rucks in the sleet/snow and was very testy with his responses.

It actually wouldn't be the worst option of Mumford was even remotely able to hold his own somewhere on the field. Sadly he's absolutely terrible everywhere.

Mr Magic

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s s**thouse and uninspiring.

I had money on the Giants.

When I saw the team the day before I could not believe it and laid off.

I should have laid off even more.

I thought I read some of your posters anticipating a loss based on selections???

Some might be injury related etc.. but I cannot believe Mumford and Simpson was both selected along with O keefe with freezing conditions and possibly snow.

To me the Giants we playing too cute whereas Hawthorn we more wet weather orientated and had players on field reflecting that. Rarely I agree with Malthouse on the radio but the selections prior to the game astounded me.

I think LC might have lost some of the players now.

I think you need to make Toby Greene captain too, no more bulls**t otherwise season could be lost!!!!

fridgeman

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It will be interesting to see how the club approaches te off season for coaches as they need some more experience in the coaching department and they need to be pro active about it to entice a coach to Sydney, and they need to be experienced and successful

Danny88

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
It will be interesting to see how the club approaches te off season for coaches as they need some more experience in the coaching department and they need to be pro active about it to entice a coach to Sydney, and they need to be experienced and successful
Know any of those?

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
My frustration is that there seems to be ''one channel'' coaching - i.e. there's no backup/alternative plan; & if something works once (e.g. two rucks vs Pies) it becomes the de facto tactic and takes several losses before they reluctantly abandon it. Timid in respect of team changes, reluctance to give youth a go, excessively loyal to (underperforming) senior players (e.g. continuing with Steve Johnson in 2017 when he was obviously cooked).

captainMyCaptain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The one plus side with our coaching group is that the club has always been able to develop our young players.
But it would seem Leon is on borrowed time and while he is contracted until 2020 it will be interesting to see if we pull the trigger now and move him on at the end of season or if he sees out his final year but would think it will all come down to this years finals.

Giant Pete

Premiership Player
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
We would never do this but it would be interesting if we rested key players against the dogs this week. Let them have the win and they can battle it out with the crows the following week.
A stupid thought I know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ILPPL

Draftee
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
The one plus side with our coaching group is that the club has always been able to develop our young players.
But it would seem Leon is on borrowed time and while he is contracted until 2020 it will be interesting to see if we pull the trigger now and move him on at the end of season or if he sees out his final year but would think it will all come down to this years finals.

ILPPL

Draftee
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
There are no bad coaches at this level but great coaches such as Clarkson will spank you if you are not innovative and do not inspire the players. Blind Freddie could tell we were overly tall and to immobile for these conditions. Mumford,Simpson,Keefe and even Davis are just to restricted as a combination in good conditions let alone in shockers. Leon manages to get the players up on occasions, as can all coaches, but the good coaches get them up more often.

Two rucks was a one off success but once again easily countered if you knew it was going to happen again, particularly with two of the most immobile ruck men in the comp. Sadly, I think Leon's talent is more with the media and PR not coaching. We need a Clarkson no matter what it costs as his value can be seen from the past and what he is getting from Hawthorn with their present list.

Failing a Clarkson a chance on a fresh coach such as a Fagan

Orange Agent

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Clarkson is a one-off, 17 clubs would move on their current coach if they could get him. Unfair to compare Leon to him. One thing he has always done is continue to blood kids even when the side is travelling well, can't agree at all that he hasn't given youth a go. If he was as s**thouse as some suggest I doubt that Heath Shaw would be happily living in Sydney.

Bay Giant

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

Was there more to Choc leaving?
He was supposed to be our coach after the first year.

Sheedy stayed on for 2013 either forcibly (AFL / Matthews?) or out of selfishness (?) and Chocco was slighted (understandably so) so he left to go back to Melbourne.

What we don’t know is wether the AFL, Matthews or Sheedy were to blame. Or if he’d have had more / less success with the group than Leaping Leon has.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
He was supposed to be our coach after the first year.

Sheedy stayed on for 2013 either forcibly (AFL / Matthews?) or out of selfishness (?) and Chocco was slighted (understandably so) so he left to go back to Melbourne.

What we don’t know is wether the AFL, Matthews or Sheedy were to blame. Or if he’d have had more / less success with the group than Leaping Leon has.
Chears.

fridgeman

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
LC and the club deserve the heat after the performance on Friday night and it will be interesting to see how they come back on Sunday v the Dogs and I am expecting another loss but the players need to show more fight and again no injuries

smashbox gill

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
My outside opinion of someone who watches a lot of GWS and wants them to win a flag..
- Leon either needs to change things up or go. He needs a new game plan as this one clearly isn’t working, every year same result. I think maybe he needs to go, his game day tactics are poor
- the medical department needs to be reviewed, every year injuries ruin your season

This needs to be rectified this off season because in my opinion, you should have already won a flag. The window is running out

Top Bottom