Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

The talk in 2016 was right though - clubs adapted to pressure the first receiver the following year, causing a turn over in which all our midfield was streaming ahead of a play and therefore we were outnumbered heading back the other way, so we shelved the play. In the finals in 2019 we went full pressure and ground more and saw the success from it.
Yeah I totally agree that the 2016 game plan had too many limitations. Clearly we have moved on and tried to adapt. We actually play a lot like the cats and have similar “brands”.... the difference is probably their stars are firing and ours are not

One thing that is clear is that teams move the ball from their d50 against us way too easily (can someone find a stat for it?). Who ever our coach is around that stuff needs to be moved on. If we only tightened that aspect of our game up it would make a big difference.
Yeah we get hur on transition both ways. We don’t make teams pay when we intercept possession .... but we get torn up when the oppo does. It certainly is the most frustrating part of our 2020 struggle for me

Yeah we get hur on transition both ways. We don’t make teams pay when we intercept possession .... but we get torn up when the oppo does. It certainly is the most frustrating part of our 2020 struggle for me
Giants get intercept possessions in dangerous spots and then (other than Daniels and one or two others) regularly try to slow it down. It is utterly perplexing.

The other thing I've noticed watching the vast majority of other teams is that when they take a mark or get a free kick they are fast back on the mark looking to move it on. I'm so used now to seeing someone like Whitfield take a strong mark in a half dangerous spot, go to ground, slowly get up, walk back slowly on the mark, fix his hair then start looking around for what to do with it. The players all look lifeless and flat.

I must say the finals series hasn’t really changed my view of Leon.

He is still a coach who does a good job of coaching grit, and is poor tactically.

I thought the quality of footy through the year was not great. Lots of grunt and effort. Several turgid losses with no system or energy.

I thought the Brisbane finals win was undeserved. Brisbane we much better but set fire to their opportunities. If Brisbane didn’t choke then it’s the regulation 5-6 finish it looked like being all season.

The Collingwood finals win was great. I think it wouldn’t have happened without the slippery conditions as that turned it into a pack to pack game, whereas better weather would have allowed Collingwood to slice us up with their kicking game.

Then in the GF it was very clearly the 6th best team who had fluked their way to an undeserved GF vs the clear best team, in clear conditions which suited them perfectly.

I hope the players and coaches do not take from this season that they are just about there and need to do a little bit more of the same.

We were well off the best teams, deserved to finish 6th. Significant improvement will be needed to even make top 4 next year.
Nothing this season has changed my existing view about Leon and this club’s trajectory.

A few stats on the team after 17 games so far this year.

"Capability" type stats
  • Contested possession differential #4 (+6.1)
  • Clearance differential #1 (+8.1)
  • Inside 50 differential #5 (+3.7)
  • Most points scored #5 (97 per game)
  • Fewest points conceded #6 (85 per game)
  • Tackles #13 (67 per game)
  • Free kick differential #17 (-2.0 per game) -- shockingly, the Dogs are #1 at +3.2 per game...
"Gamestyle" type stats
  • Intercepts #17 (65 per game) -- the other top 8 clubs are all in the top 8 for intercepts
  • Turn Overs #17 (66 per game)
  • Bounces #2 (10 per game)
  • Disposal efficiency #2 (75%)
I reckon that lines up fairly well with the eyeball test.

1. We don't force too many turnovers (low intercepts). Intercepts lead to easy scoring chances. Low intercepts = more hard work to score.

2. We don't concede too many turnovers (low turn overs, high disposal efficiency). Low risk ball movement, kick down the line more often than not. Don't risk a costly turn-over, but also don't create easy scoring chances for us.

It's a contested arm-wrestle for both teams. Low risk. Grind it out.

I'd say that's the way Leon likes it.

For me I am still luke-warm on Leon.
  • Against good teams and coaches it feels like there are very few easy goals. For example: I would like to see some more structure around the times we do switch. From watching at the games last year I felt like often the opposition knew we were going to switch at the same time we did. This stuff should be programmed-in during preseason, it shouldn't rely on Shaw or Stevie J issuing instructions in real-time.
  • The overall philosophy is right for the team. We aren't an outside running team of silky ball users, we are an inside grinding team of contest-winners.
  • I love the spirit and grit which has been a constant.
He's not as good as Clarkson. He's not as bad as Crazy Vossy. He's alright. He might yet prove to be the right coach for this team at the right time, or maybe not.

No doubt whatever happens this year is partly influenced by injury. Will be interesting to see how the year finishes, and what happens next year. Some of the football in 2016 was fabulous and it's easy to forget that with some of the frustrating grind-fests we have watched this season.
Really nothing has changed since 2017.

2016 was the one time Leon had the team playing premiership quality football. It’s been all grind from 2017 onwards

Nothing this season has changed my existing view about Leon and this club’s trajectory.
Good read - hard to disagree.

I thought the game style employed last 2 years was aimed at keeping games close given a lot of personnel out. And that the club basically needed a decent injury run to swan back into the top 4.

This year has clearly proven the issues are more substantial.

Interestingly we have regressed in terms of wins premiership points
2016 - 16 (64points) 143% (#2 attack/#4 defence)
2017 - 14 & 2 draws (60) 114.8% (#6 / #5)
2018 - 13 & 1 draw (54) 114.3% (#10/ #6)
2019 - 13 (52) 115.4 (#4/#5)

Big difference in the side in 16 was forwards who could bring the ball to ground. Cameron does it when he is playing well but HH & Finlayson are terrible at it.

Richmond won in 2017 playing one key forward in Riewoldt but all he was worried about was bringing the ball to ground and their smalls were really good at it (jump up in to the midriff of opp key backs so they couldn’t mark it). Watching our forwards have a cuddle while a defender takes an easy chest Mark is common and should lead to being dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that is so annoying about Leon is when you hear him speak and analyse a game there are few better at articulating what has happened but then you watch us play and we nearly always look disconnected, cautious and without a system or plan.

I look at Geelong and reckon they have 20 lengths on us but maybe that’s because they have much better resources around their coach?

Maybe they are rorting the soft cap and using friends of the club to buffer deals, maybe it’s easier for them to attract assistants than it is for us to relocate young families?

Maybe the AFL has been guilty of being tight with that crucial part of our set up?

I have described Leon as Mr Magoo, which is probably harsh, because if he was he wouldn't be able to articulate the way he does but he is certainly made to look that way by the way the team frequently plays!

Performances like the Dockers game are only more damning as they show the world what we are capable of when we play to our strengths but they seem to be so fleeting.

Anyway it’s done now so we will support him but on face value it looks like the CEO stuffed up and then had no other options or he would lose face.

Surprised by this. I've bought into the narrative that the GWS talent is supreme but they are being poorly coached.

Would have liked to have seen somebody else with the keys to the Ferrari to see what they are really capable of.

When Rhyce Shaw got the keys to the Kangaroo '09 VE Berlina, it initially looked as though he was going to steer us to better places than the last dude.

A year on and, well, you just can't polish a '09 VE Berlina. We're selling parts. Anybody want a previously reliable engine name Ben Brown?

Only 200k on the clock.

I guess part of the problem is, if Leon isn't the man, who actually might be?

Easy enough for the masses to clamour for Clarkson but he's never been available. If not him, then who? Go for a tried coach - well, they're all failures aren't they? Go for another new coach, and it's the same unknown as to whether he's got both the management and tactical skills to do the job.

I'm not convinced Leon's the messiah, but the club can support him (more) with a good staff around him. I'm also of the view that the players have to take some responsibility, too, in not winning games!

Now he’s signed I’ll shut up my opinions about Leon’s coaching.
Having stuck with him, the club should appoint a Neil Balme type to support him. Maybe this is meant to be McCartney?
A possible concern for the club is the failure to develop recently acquired youngsters. Ash has become a regular, while Hill and Ricardo were held back and are now getting a go. What about Caldwell, Hatley, Cumming, and Green? (especially Green) Don’t get me started on the ruck fiasco.
I don’t see these as Leon Cameron problems, but GWS problems so this probably isn’t the right thread.

Now he’s signed I’ll shut up my opinions about Leon’s coaching.
Having stuck with him, the club should appoint a Neil Balme type to support him. Maybe this is meant to be McCartney?
A possible concern for the club is the failure to develop recently acquired youngsters. Ash has become a regular, while Hill and Ricardo were held back and are now getting a go. What about Caldwell, Hatley, Cumming, and Green? (especially Green) Don’t get me started on the ruck fiasco.
I don’t see these as Leon Cameron problems, but GWS problems so this probably isn’t the right thread.
The only area that I have frustrations with is the ruck position. But it's understandable given the time to maturity it takes for most young rucks to develop.

In most other positions, I think we've done pretty well. The trio of Caldwell, Hately, Green and you can add in O'Hallaran in there too have been developing nicely. Cumming has been quite unlucky with injuries. I'm not sure how many games he would have played this year had he not got injured after round 2 but perhaps eventually Ash would have also pushed him out of the 22.

I'm a bit confused about your terminology versus what you seem to be describing.

Developing youngsters usually means teaching them, improving their defects, and then bringing them into the seniors when ready. Clubs like Sydney tend to be lauded for their developmental work but part of that is not playing kids until they're ready so they can walk into seniors and make an impact immediately. Hill is a prime development example - came into seniors, struggled to have a consistent impact, went back into the seconds and now that he's back again he's a lot more consistent and impactful.

You seem more interested in getting them into seniors ASAP given you're listing a first year player in there (Green), but then you've also mentioned a second year player getting plenty of seniors time at the moment (Caldwell), so I'm confused as to what your expectations are.

I'm a bit confused about your terminology versus what you seem to be describing.

Developing youngsters usually means teaching them, improving their defects, and then bringing them into the seniors when ready. Clubs like Sydney tend to be lauded for their developmental work but part of that is not playing kids until they're ready so they can walk into seniors

You seem more interested in getting them into seniors ASAP given you're listing a first year player in there (Green), but then you've also mentioned a second year player getting plenty of seniors time at the moment (Caldwell), so I'm confused as to what your expectations are.

Good points. You're right I’d like to see more of the youngsters playing in the 1sts as part of their development.

Once selected I’d like to see junior players treated the equal of the rest of the team. I believe there have been less experienced players dropped this year when their form has been better than more experienced teammates who have retained their positions. Just my thoughts and I hope I’m wrong as it would say plenty about the club culture if true.

Any thoughts about a stronger support network around Leon? Will be a challenge with the smaller soft cap, but I hope he gets the best support possible.

You got to change coaches.

ill take it back if u make finals

but right now get a new coach

should of been so hungry tonight from first 30 seconds

that team came out not giving a *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back