Analysis Giants Coaching. Your thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
A guy who is capable of becoming a first grade coach - unless he ends up destabilising the place by undermining Leon - surely would be hungry to show what he can do, and hence if he's got any nouse (which supposedly Solomon does) would be a great addition given that we seem to suffer from limited tactical options. He and Stevie J could be a great addition.

Ppollen

Development Coach
Mar 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Given how footy departments are letting go of so many coaches we will have plenty of chances to pick up some other guys and with both Hayes and Miller gone and still a chance that McVeign also goes I would say we would add at least one more coach.
Very true. I hope Mcveigh stays though. They could always try a player/coach position out like Ward perhaps?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Very true. I hope Mcveigh stays though. They could always try a player/coach position out like Ward perhaps?
More like Sam Reid I would’ve thought. Ward is only 30 yes old and still capable of contributing strongly with another preseason After doing his knee.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Zac Williams and Jeremy Cameron quit on the club. Players who don’t want Leon anymore voting with their feet.

Just a brutal decision to extend Leon. I’m so sad about Williams leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The frustration is that Leon has been sold as having great relationships with the players. The subtext to that has to be that they would sign on for unders to stay with the team. That thought has been blown out of the water. Lord knows he hasn't proven to be a tactical genius.

Hopefully Stevie J is that tactical genius, and apart from resetting our forward line next year, can rub off on the whole gameplan.

LordLucifer

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2002
The North Shore Daaaahling !!
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm deeply concerned about the Giants onfield adventures over the next couple of years.

I just cannot see Leon Cameron lifting the team to a flag and the club keeps losing 2-3 gun players every year. I can understand why the administrators re-appointed him given he had just made a GF but it's not an appointment that has a lot of faith in it.

Just gotta hope that your assistants are very very good to carry a large proportion of the workload.

Danny88

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Well we lost stars.... that HAS to impact how we play the game. Transition both ways has been the issue we need to straighten up

we will still have that strength of contested ball and stoppages but we really need to address moving the ball out of D50 and stopping the oppositions easy transition forward out of D50.
Next year will be interesting. I just hope it’s not hard to watch

this list is still good enough to compete and be too 4

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Well we lost stars.... that HAS to impact how we play the game. Transition both ways has been the issue we need to straighten up

we will still have that strength of contested ball and stoppages but we really need to address moving the ball out of D50 and stopping the oppositions easy transition forward out of D50.
Next year will be interesting. I just hope it’s not hard to watch

this list is still good enough to compete and be too 4
It’s been turgid every year since 2016, next year will be no different.

If Leon was to be retained, at least needed to get a strategic minded assistant like Don Pyke.

Callums_Guns

Community Leader
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Phila 76ers, Mt Buller Demons
Anyone know our coaching structure for next year?
Yes agree. I think another assistant is a must
Agree another is a must but with the reduced cap for the football department we have ;

Leon Cameron

Luke Kelly
Amon Buchanan
Mark McVeigh
Adam Schneider
Brett Hand
Stevie J
Mumford - ??

Allan McConnell - TBC / Role

Unsure if Jason Saddington and Alicia Fox are included in the soft cap

Then you have all the high performance, medical staff etc who are included as well

With the cap dropping by 3.5mil per club unless more announcements are made Tuesday night I doubt anymore will leave as they have to be informed in Aug / Sept

With Lenny and Brad Miller leaving that has just assisted only in reducing our cap

Therefore I highly doubt a senior assistant will come in but do agree needed

Danny88

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So our lack of connection to a running halfback in the league like clark or wiitho is a shame. It means we are backing the development of Cumming and the running of Kennedy. Maybe Xavier goes there or ward plays there more. Regardless, the lack of a significant personnel injection into that backline means we will need a shift in system to fix the issues in transition. Stevie J will help our forward line set up.. I like that. But it was clearly a issue.

It not as simple as telling players to play on more or take the first option. If players are not running in the right places, it doesn't matter as we will turn it over anyway. What seems a simple problem is pretty complex.

Here is hoping the off season review is as brutal as last year's review of the strength and conditioning.

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So our lack of connection to a running halfback in the league like clark or wiitho is a shame.

Here is hoping the off season review is as brutal as last year's review of the strength and conditioning.
100% agree. Ultimately, we can only get them if we ask and they agree - if they see value in coming to GWS. So we don't know if we've talked to them and they've said no, or just haven't asked because we don't see the need. But while I think that our forwards - despite the likely loss of Jezza - and the midfield will be still good enough going forward, it's the defence where I am concerned, but the club doesn't seem to be.

That lack of looking at a running back, noting that I don't see anyone filling that directly from the draft (Lachlan Jones is the only ready-made counter-attacking HBF, but he's a Port academy pickup) appears to be our largest weakness for GWS, particularly given what's occurred over the last two seasons. It is the reason why I would like us to go for Heath Chapman from WA - while a tall defender (193cm), he's got both run and accurate kicking skills, so could provide some of what we've lacked.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
So our lack of connection to a running halfback in the league like clark or wiitho is a shame. It means we are backing the development of Cumming and the running of Kennedy. Maybe Xavier goes there or ward plays there more. Regardless, the lack of a significant personnel injection into that backline means we will need a shift in system to fix the issues in transition. Stevie J will help our forward line set up.. I like that. But it was clearly a issue.

It not as simple as telling players to play on more or take the first option. If players are not running in the right places, it doesn't matter as we will turn it over anyway. What seems a simple problem is pretty complex.

Backing in Lachie Ash I would have thought.

I'm more concerned about the midfield mix. Taranto + Hopper + Green is 3 contest oriented average skill midfielders. Play Ward and it's 4. Hard to do much other than slog from pack-to-pack when the other top-line midfields have you covered for pace and skill.

Remove this Banner Ad