Analysis Giants Coaching. Your thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

ClockworkOrange

Senior List
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Having a guy already based in Sydney with his family settled is a big advantage. Also whoever we go with needs to have a proven track record.
If only we went with Adam Simpson instead of Leon in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess and the club would likely already have a flag.
An obvious short list candidate.

If the Board and CEO are doing their jobs there must have been some informal contact already.

All of which means probably no one has spoken to him.

The question of what happens from now until the end of the season with the HC role (interim appointment, or more of the same) is the more pressing one.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Orange Agent

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Don Pyke,

Super smart, works well with young players, doing amazing job at Swans, available.

Get him in and Magoo out.
It's bizarre to me that the Swans can bring in a guy like Pyke to support Horse but we continue to get guys with minimal to no experience at all. Yesterday it looked like McVeigh is now LC's right hand man. Seems more like a self protection set up than budget constraints.

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
It's bizarre to me that the Swans can bring in a guy like Pyke to support Horse but we continue to get guys with minimal to no experience at all. Yesterday it looked like McVeigh is now LC's right hand man. Seems more like a self protection set up than budget constraints.
Perhaps we just couldn't get anyone interested in coming to Sydney?

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Perhaps we just couldn't get anyone interested in coming to Sydney?
They make too much of that.

There is a boys club and Matthews is front row centre. He appointed Leon who then brought in old Richmond people, this has been a disaster. Then the McCartney appointment which again looks like a bad one. Then Matthews comes out to bat publicly for Leon and paints himself into a corner.

Outside of this Matthew’s has a public spat with Paul Roos who then gets a set against the club and Roos best mate Ross Lyon. Trouble is these guys, like them or loathe them have some of the best IP in the game, trouble also is they are mates with Pyke.

For me Matthews thought he would leave HQ (AFL) deliver the baby to the promised land, look like a hero and then sweep into Gill’s job as CEO. Trouble is even the most ardent Giants fan can see this is now years if not decades away after a complete rebuild of the list.

I don’t hate Matthews or think he’s completely hopeless, I admire his feistiness and fighting qualities but the fact is he has allowed mateship and arrogance to cloud his judgement.

If you watch the doco you can see Leon see what we see. His pointed comments to players are years of frustration dealing with selfish, me first, entitled spoilt dicks, but the fact remains his messaging has gone stale and the players are making a statement with their actions. They dont believe in him and want him gone.

The club needs a rebuild from top down. Pyke has to come in and if that means Matthews goes with Cameron so be it.

If Dave is too selfish to put the interests of the club and its fans first then he simply has to go.

captainMyCaptain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

There is a boys club and Matthews is front row centre. He appointed Leon who then brought in old Richmond people, this has been a disaster. Then the McCartney appointment which again looks like a bad one. Then Matthews comes out to bat publicly for Leon and paints himself into a corner.

Outside of this Matthew’s has a public spat with Paul Roos who then gets a set against the club and Roos best mate Ross Lyon. Trouble is these guys, like them or loathe them have some of the best IP in the game, trouble also is they are mates with Pyke.

For me Matthews thought he would leave HQ (AFL) deliver the baby to the promised land, look like a hero and then sweep into Gill’s job as CEO. Trouble is even the most ardent Giants fan can see this is now years if not decades away after a complete rebuild of the list.

I don’t hate Matthews or think he’s completely hopeless, I admire his feistiness and fighting qualities but the fact is he has allowed mateship and arrogance to cloud his judgement.

If you watch the doco you can see Leon see what we see. His pointed comments to players are years of frustration dealing with selfish, me first, entitled spoilt dicks, but the fact remains his messaging has gone stale and the players are making a statement with their actions. They dont believe in him and want him gone.

The club needs a rebuild from top down. Pyke has to come in and if that means Matthews goes with Cameron so be it.

If Dave is too selfish to put the interests of the club and its fans first then he simply has to go.
To be fair the appointment of Leon was more Gubby Allan's call as were just about every footy department call until about 12mths prior to Gubby leaving but since then as I'm sure you know Matthews has interfered more and more with footy department calls.

ClockworkOrange

Senior List
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

A number of truth bombs from AtG that hit the target.

I think the Chairman and CEO have done excellent work on the corporate commercial side.

However, football dept problems have been glossed over for mutual self-preservation.

And that hits Members between the eyes.

VFL - correction, AFL - HQ’s master-servant attitude to our club and disdain for NSW generally has also been a multi-year problem for Giants HQ, but that’s an issue for another time when the football dept has been sorted.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Remove this Banner Ad