Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Great news that the club has recruited an experienced assistant in Nicks and 8 years at Port he will bring a wealth of experience to the senior team and interesting where he fits and what other changes the club makes to the coaching panel in the off season
I think the mix is right but it would be good if someone like Brett Montgomery could spend more time with the club or someone in a part time role to mentor the players, I think someone that can add to the onfield leadership would be beneficial

Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Dortmund, TBs, Soft spot for North
So do you guys here rate Cameron?

I'm not much a fan tbh but he's better than he used to be.

So do you guys here rate Cameron?

I'm not much a fan tbh but he's better than he used to be.

I think to be where we are, with the amount of long term and medium term injuries to key players speaks volumes for getting the best out of what's left.
I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I am a supporter, as the general has said though, opinions range

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Nicks is a great signing and should help.

Always thought Leon need more help in his coaching staff. We didnt seem to have much experience.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Needs to eventually get back to the coaching box. Coaching from the sidelines every week is embarrassing and tells you he has no faith in his wingmen.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Needs to eventually get back to the coaching box. Coaching from the sidelines every week is embarrassing and tells you he has no faith in his wingmen.
Not sure how it is embarrassing

He changed his process and found success. I don’t have a problem with that

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure how it is embarrassing

He changed his process and found success. I don’t have a problem with that

For junior footy or for a change up it is fine, doing it every week is amateur hour as it shows he doesn’t have the confidence in his team to deliver his message. They are not a group of teenagers anymore.

If you look at other coaches you will occasionally see a Clarkson, Scott or Hardwick come down to the bench but it is a sparingly used tactic.

Fagan does it a lot more as he has a bunch of young kids to teach.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
For junior footy or for a change up it is fine, doing it every week is amateur hour as it shows he doesn’t have the confidence in his team to deliver his message. They are not a group of teenagers anymore.

If you look at other coaches you will occasionally see a Clarkson, Scott or Hardwick come down to the bench but it is a sparingly used tactic.

Fagan does it a lot more as he has a bunch of young kids to teach.
Maybe he is superstitious?

I just think it’s a big deal about nothing

It was explained tonight that the game plans and what ifs are all discussed and responses determined well before the match starts.
Leon prefers the bench as he can influence the players on the bench and onfield much quicker and more directly than via the "phone" or runner.
He is in contact with the box all the time and able to discuss anything with them that they currently feel required.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It was explained tonight that the game plans and what ifs are all discussed and responses determined well before the match starts.
Leon prefers the bench as he can influence the players on the bench and onfield much quicker and more directly than via the "phone" or runner.
He is in contact with the box all the time and able to discuss anything with them that they currently feel required.
Significant that Luke Kelly mentioned it's shows trust in the staff in the box.
How anyone could conclude otherwise is beyond me. Unless you were really ignorant and determined to express hate.
I've worked in a lot of places at different levels over the years but never have I been able to tell my boss where he works from. I haven't even seen a situation where that was possible.

Significant that Luke Kelly mentioned it's shows trust in the staff in the box.
How anyone could conclude otherwise is beyond me. Unless you were really ignorant and determined to express hate.
I've worked in a lot of places at different levels over the years but never have I been able to tell my boss where he works from. I haven't even seen a situation where that was possible.
Yup, I didn't hear his answer as defensive though he did mention that Leon keeps getting asked about it, seemed to be very much seen by "the collective" as a positive.
First time I'd heard of him, let alone heard him, he was a very capable speaker, though either his graphics were dodgy or my eyesight wasn't up io it as the only time I really understood the video was when he had the pointer out :)

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Yup, I didn't hear his answer as defensive though he did mention that Leon keeps getting asked about it, seemed to be very much seen by "the collective" as a positive.
First time I'd heard of him, let alone heard him, he was a very capable speaker, though either his graphics were dodgy or my eyesight wasn't up io it as the only time I really understood the video was when he had the pointer out :)
Pretty much the same, but worth it. Not sorry I went.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Leon can dress it up however he likes but history and benchmarking suggests what he has been doing is unusual to do every week. For a really young group it makes sense but we’re a pretty experienced team now.

If it’s more effective why haven’t other teams done this consistently as imitation is the greatest form of flattery, particularly in footy.

It’s not a major issue but certainly worthy of discussion....particularly in a forum.... as opposed to a hate filled dungeon.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Leon can dress it up however he likes but history and benchmarking suggests what he has been doing is unusual to do every week. For a really young group it makes sense but we’re a pretty experienced team now.

If it’s more effective why haven’t other teams done this consistently as imitation is the greatest form of flattery, particularly in footy.

It’s not a major issue but certainly worthy of discussion....particularly in a forum.... as opposed to a hate filled dungeon.

Now now. Only happy thoughts are allowed here.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Care to provide details of this benchmarking you speak of?

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
[/QUOTE]
Care to provide details of this benchmarking you speak of?

Well ok I’ll give it a shot!

Firstly, I’m assuming you understand what benchmarking is and don’t require our employer Leon Cameron to articulate!

The standard is every AFL coach.

Here is an example!

upload_2018-9-6_19-54-30.jpeg

Would you believe they are both coaching from the coaching box tonight!!! I know radical hey....and in a final!!! How absolutely brazen!!!

I have to say this Alastair Clarkson must be a genius. Do you know he has been coaching since 2005 (327 games) and has coached over 90% of his games from the coaches box?? Here I was thinking it was because he could see more of the game and message through his team, when in actual fact it was just an elaborate ruse and prelude for him to coach all future games from the sideline!!!

Come to think of it Hardwick, Longmire, the Scott Brothers, Simpson, Goodwin and all the other coaches must be on the same ruse!!

And to think I actually assumed it might be because Leon didn’t have faith in his lieutenants to get his message through....he was just the first bloke to end this bloody charade!!!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Firstly, I’m assuming you understand what benchmarking is and don’t require our employer Leon Cameron to articulate!

Here is an example!

View attachment 555264

Would you believe they are both coaching from the coaching box tonight!!! I know radical hey....and in a final!!! How absolutely brazen!!!

I have to say this Alastair Clarkson must be a genius. Do you know he has been coaching since 2005 (327 games) and has coached over 90% of his games from the coaches box?? Here I was thinking it was because he could see more of the game and message through his team, when in actual fact it was just an elaborate ruse and prelude for him to coach all future games from the sideline!!!

Come to think of it Hardwick, Longmire, the Scott Brothers, Simpson, Goodwin and all the other coaches must be on the same ruse!!

And to think I actually assumed it might be because Leon didn’t have faith in his lieutenants to get his message through....he was just the first bloke to end this bloody charade!!!
You forgot this.
dd0c7f6ba4aac538d8f4cf8c4476cd33.gif

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

Here is an example!

View attachment 555264

That's not actually benchmarking. Benchmarking is a statistical analysis done before introducing a change so you can see the impact of said change. That's a couple of photos of coaches in the box.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
That's not actually benchmarking. Benchmarking is a statistical analysis done before introducing a change so you can see the impact of said change. That's a couple of photos of coaches in the box.

Ok well as I have come unprepared how about I take photos of every other coach in the finals and keep you up to date with a running tally? I don’t know...perhaps I am being presumptuous but I’ve just got this vibe on this one...I am a born risk taker and always act on a hunch!!

Hey do us a solid and tell our employer (Leon) I forgot to do my time sheet today. All this time spending debating whether coaching from the sideline is common convention and I simply ran out of time! Hope he doesn’t condemn me to solitary aka the coaches box for my insolence!! That joint is worse than Wentworth!!

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Ok well as I have come unprepared how about I take photos of every other coach in the finals and keep you up to date with a running tally? I don’t know...perhaps I am being presumptuous but I’ve just got this vibe on this one...I am a born risk taker and always act on a hunch!!

Hey do us a solid and tell our employer (Leon) I forgot to do my time sheet today. All this time spending debating whether coaching from the sideline is common convention and I simply ran out of time! Hope he doesn’t condemn me to solitary aka the coaches box for my insolence!! That joint is worse than Wentworth!!
You made the statement that benchmarking proves it's ineffective, that was your choice.
You even questioned my understanding of the term, which gave me a chuckle.

Richardson has actually coached multiple games from the bench, although you said he doesn't.

Clarkson has said he likes to connect with his young players by sending time on the bench. I'm going to ignore your 90% figure, but feel free to prove me wrong with a reference, or even actual data.

I get your need to deflect with nonsense, it's what you have.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
You made the statement that benchmarking proves it's ineffective, that was your choice.
You even questioned my understanding of the term, which gave me a chuckle.

Richardson has actually coached multiple games from the bench, although you said he doesn't.

Clarkson has said he likes to connect with his young players by sending time on the bench. I'm going to ignore your 90% figure, but feel free to prove me wrong with a reference, or even actual data.

I get your need to deflect with nonsense, it's what you have.

Richardson is a desperate man coaching for his life. He may not be the boss of all St Kilda fans in a few weeks time.

Coaches venture to the bench as a change up or shock tactic. Tell me a coach that starts from the sideline every week other than Cameron.

You’re basically proving beyond any doubt that you don’t watch the game and are unfamiliar with traditional convention.

I think you need to free yourself of the need to prove me wrong and just debate issues on their merit. You come across as just wanting to troll arguments for the sake of it.

I was really enjoying us ignoring each other, we had a good thing going and you’ve gone and wrecked it :-(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back