Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

Richardson is a desperate man coaching for his life. He may not be the boss of all St Kilda fans in a few weeks time.

Coaches venture to the bench as a change up or shock tactic. Tell me a coach that starts from the sideline every week other than Cameron.

You’re basically proving beyond any doubt that you don’t watch the game and are unfamiliar with traditional convention.

I think you need to free yourself of the need to prove me wrong and just debate issues on their merit. You come across as just wanting to troll arguments for the sake of it.

I was really us ignoring each other, we had a good thing going and you’ve gone and wrecked it :-(
So we've somehow gone from Richardson doesn't coach from the bench, to he does but his life is threatened if he doesn't? Breathtaking hypocracy.

Are you worried your hypocracy will be challenged constantly? Or you wont be able to ignorantly "mock" with impunity.

Your understanding of the word "troll" is as clear as your understanding of the word "benchmark", clearly.

So we've somehow gone from Richardson doesn't coach from the bench, to he does but his life is threatened if he doesn't? Breathtaking hypocracy.

Are you worried your hypocracy will be challenged constantly? Or you wont be able to ignorantly "mock" with impunity.

Your understanding of the word "troll" is as clear as your understanding of the word "benchmark", clearly.

If you are in such a mood to debate with me let’s take this private, the MODS have repeatedly asked us to refrain from conversing as they nor anybody else is interested in petty squabbling but you just can’t help yourself.

I’m placing you back in Coventry! Goodnight :)

If you are in such a mood to debate with me let’s take this private, the MODS have repeatedly asked us to refrain from conversing as they nor anybody else is interested in petty squabbling but you just can’t help yourself.

I’m placing you back in Coventry! Goodnight :)
Do as you wish.
It's both condescending and arrogant to attempt to tell me what to do though.

The issue I have, and to be frank, the bigfooty rules have, with "discussions" like the last one is they turn discussion into shitfight.
Nobody wins a shitfight and it turns people away from the thread who may want to engage in the thread topic without becoming personal, or having to step through other people's personal detritus.
It is easy enough to argue a point without becoming abusive, and vastly more productive, there is nothing wrong with simply agreeing to disagree.

I am going to leave posts where they are for now as an example of how not to foster an involving forum environment.

someone2Bis2Bwrong_zpsncnzkixr.png

The issue I have, and to be frank, the bigfooty rules have, with "discussions" like the last one is they turn discussion into shitfight.
Nobody wins a shitfight and it turns people away from the thread who may want to engage in the thread topic without becoming personal, or having to step through other people's personal detritus.
It is easy enough to argue a point without becoming abusive, and vastly more productive, there is nothing wrong with simply agreeing to disagree.

I am going to leave posts where they are for now as an example of how not to foster an involving forum environment.

someone2Bis2Bwrong_zpsncnzkixr.png
My post yesterday morning was actually referring to the press article suggesting Leon was dismissed from the coaching box. I thought that was pretty clear from what I said.

I did choose to confront some statements that made no sense. I dont regret that and facing constant defection chose to stay on message. I dont regret that, in my my view it needed to be said.

I do get that kind of conflict can be intimidating to other posters. Unfortunately life isn't all beer and skittles. If you research why people read and are reluctant to post in forums, it's more about fear of being mocked and irrationally attacked than witnessing conflict I think. I dont get what bigfooty rule is breached by attempting rational discussion on a topic in any case.

If you research why people read and are reluctant to post in forums, it's more about fear of being mocked and irrationally attacked than witnessing conflict I think. I dont get what bigfooty rule is breached by attempting rational discussion on a topic in any case.

Also

How anyone could conclude otherwise is beyond me. Unless you were really ignorant and determined to express hate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My post yesterday morning was actually referring to the press article suggesting Leon was dismissed from the coaching box. I thought that was pretty clear from what I said.

I did choose to confront some statements that made no sense. I dont regret that and facing constant defection chose to stay on message. I dont regret that, in my my view it needed to be said.

I do get that kind of conflict can be intimidating to other posters. Unfortunately life isn't all beer and skittles. If you research why people read and are reluctant to post in forums, it's more about fear of being mocked and irrationally attacked than witnessing conflict I think. I dont get what bigfooty rule is breached by attempting rational discussion on a topic in any case.

[URL="https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/board-rules-please-read-before-posting.932183/"]BOARD RULES - please read before posting[/URL]

GWS GIANTS board rules
  • New posters are always welcome and are to be treated as such.
  • No personal abuse. Attack the ball, not the man.
  • No evasion of the swear filter. If we as contributors to the board see a bunch of asterisks in your post, we all know the point you’re trying to get across!
  • Exaggerated criticism of the players or the club will not be tolerated.
  • Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and each opinion should be respected. If you disagree with someone’s opinion, provide a reasonable reply explaining why you disagree rather than using dismissal or abuse.
  • Rumours should be clearly labelled as rumours; we have a thread prefix for that. Rumours posted without a source will be taken with a grain of salt
  • If you find a post to be offensive, out of line or in breach of the forum or board rules, please click ‘Report Post’. We as moderators do spend a lot of time on the board however we might not catch everything.

BOARD RULES - please read before posting

GWS GIANTS board rules
  • New posters are always welcome and are to be treated as such.
  • No personal abuse. Attack the ball, not the man.
  • No evasion of the swear filter. If we as contributors to the board see a bunch of asterisks in your post, we all know the point you’re trying to get across!
  • Exaggerated criticism of the players or the club will not be tolerated.
  • Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and each opinion should be respected. If you disagree with someone’s opinion, provide a reasonable reply explaining why you disagree rather than using dismissal or abuse.
  • Rumours should be clearly labelled as rumours; we have a thread prefix for that. Rumours posted without a source will be taken with a grain of salt
  • If you find a post to be offensive, out of line or in breach of the forum or board rules, please click ‘Report Post’. We as moderators do spend a lot of time on the board however we might not catch everything.
I actually believe I did attemot stick to the argument. My issue is never people people having a different opinion. It's mocking others while playing the victim. I do get it's subjective and you can moderate the board as you wish, but it remains my view.

I still believe our forward structure and forward entries require work next year.

It almost make us unwatchable with our predictability. Long bombs are predictable and do not play to our strengths as we have poor F50 pressure (although improving with Langdon and Daniels).

Whether this is new personnel on and/or off the field is up to the club. I love the ball in the hands of Lids and Whitfield entering F50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With some player exits from the club I think the coaches are going to be under more pressure next year. It also seems we are on a downward curve. 2016 was better than 2017 which was better than 2018.

I think if any area needs work it’s the defensive setup. We are good stoppers but too often if we can’t run it out end up kicking long and creating repeat entries for the oppo

While I support Cameron can't help but think that in the world of what ifs, its worth remembering when the club was looking at a replacement for Sheedy. Gubby decided to go with Cameron rather then Adam Simpson as he felt Simpson wasn't ready yet but if nothing else the decision made us miss out on a coach that has shown in his time at the Eagles to be a coach with a very high footy IQ.

While I support Cameron can't help but think that in the world of what ifs, its worth remembering when the club was looking at a replacement for Sheedy. Gubby decided to go with Cameron rather then Adam Simpson as he felt Simpson wasn't ready yet but if nothing else the decision made us miss out on a coach that has shown in his time at the Eagles to be a coach with a very high footy IQ.

I think Sam Mitchell was a massive influence with the Eagles winning the flag although Simpson as well was a driving force I just feel without Mitchell the Eagles don't get to the GF and I think it is about getting the most out of players and it is what they have done both at the Eagles and Pies
I look at the Tigers last year and the role players that had career best years, Houli/Grigg/Grimes and others
I think that is what the key is for the Giants next year having guys like Tomlinson/Corr/MDB have career best years that will go along way to the giants winning the flag and maybe Nicks is the missing link but it is about how to get the players to realise the potential they have

Mmmm
The proof of the pudding, flag etc.....

Last year Simpson was largely seen as limited by their supporters. He did have the the belief to go against the trend with their gameplan, and lead the next trend instead. You have to admire that.

Last edited:
I think Sam Mitchell was a massive influence with the Eagles winning the flag although Simpson as well was a driving force I just feel without Mitchell the Eagles don't get to the GF and I think it is about getting the most out of players and it is what they have done both at the Eagles and Pies
I look at the Tigers last year and the role players that had career best years, Houli/Grigg/Grimes and others
I think that is what the key is for the Giants next year having guys like Tomlinson/Corr/MDB have career best years that will go along way to the giants winning the flag and maybe Nicks is the missing link but it is about how to get the players to realise the potential they have
I agree with this. It’s not as simple as Simpson would have fixed us- the assistants are massive. Mitchell’s role can’t be overstated

No doubt Mitchell added a bit but I just feel you shouldn't undersell Simpson, and even when he first joined the eagles he showed his footy IQ as when
the eagles lost a number of key backs to long term injury he brought in the web which was a key to getting them to a grand final in '15 after missing the finals the previous year.

Nick Poulos, that’s promising

He was at the Crows in the same role for a few years up to about 2016.

Quite well regarded, and I think we were well prepared and didn’t have too many injuries

Lots of injuries in the last two years since Poulos left
Good info, it's a key area regarding improvement and am pleased the club have moved on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back