Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
A guy who is capable of becoming a first grade coach - unless he ends up destabilising the place by undermining Leon - surely would be hungry to show what he can do, and hence if he's got any nouse (which supposedly Solomon does) would be a great addition given that we seem to suffer from limited tactical options. He and Stevie J could be a great addition.

Ppollen

Development Coach
Mar 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Given how footy departments are letting go of so many coaches we will have plenty of chances to pick up some other guys and with both Hayes and Miller gone and still a chance that McVeign also goes I would say we would add at least one more coach.

Very true. I hope Mcveigh stays though. They could always try a player/coach position out like Ward perhaps?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Very true. I hope Mcveigh stays though. They could always try a player/coach position out like Ward perhaps?
More like Sam Reid I would’ve thought. Ward is only 30 yes old and still capable of contributing strongly with another preseason After doing his knee.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Zac Williams and Jeremy Cameron quit on the club. Players who don’t want Leon anymore voting with their feet.

Just a brutal decision to extend Leon. I’m so sad about Williams leaving.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
2020 keeps on going downhill.
Our coaching ranks are wafer thin.
Jeez, we need some good news.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The frustration is that Leon has been sold as having great relationships with the players. The subtext to that has to be that they would sign on for unders to stay with the team. That thought has been blown out of the water. Lord knows he hasn't proven to be a tactical genius.

Hopefully Stevie J is that tactical genius, and apart from resetting our forward line next year, can rub off on the whole gameplan.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm deeply concerned about the Giants onfield adventures over the next couple of years.

I just cannot see Leon Cameron lifting the team to a flag and the club keeps losing 2-3 gun players every year. I can understand why the administrators re-appointed him given he had just made a GF but it's not an appointment that has a lot of faith in it.

Just gotta hope that your assistants are very very good to carry a large proportion of the workload.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Zac Williams and Jeremy Cameron quit on the club. Players who don’t want Leon anymore voting with their feet.

Just a brutal decision to extend Leon. I’m so sad about Williams leaving.

Zac left for money, and can't blame him, getting ridiculous overs. Jeremy is not worth the money he wants.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Well we lost stars.... that HAS to impact how we play the game. Transition both ways has been the issue we need to straighten up

we will still have that strength of contested ball and stoppages but we really need to address moving the ball out of D50 and stopping the oppositions easy transition forward out of D50.
Next year will be interesting. I just hope it’s not hard to watch

this list is still good enough to compete and be too 4

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Well we lost stars.... that HAS to impact how we play the game. Transition both ways has been the issue we need to straighten up

we will still have that strength of contested ball and stoppages but we really need to address moving the ball out of D50 and stopping the oppositions easy transition forward out of D50.
Next year will be interesting. I just hope it’s not hard to watch

this list is still good enough to compete and be too 4
It’s been turgid every year since 2016, next year will be no different.

If Leon was to be retained, at least needed to get a strategic minded assistant like Don Pyke.

Anyone know our coaching structure for next year?
Yes agree. I think another assistant is a must
Agree another is a must but with the reduced cap for the football department we have ;

Leon Cameron

Luke Kelly
Amon Buchanan
Mark McVeigh
Adam Schneider
Brett Hand
Stevie J
Mumford - ??

Allan McConnell - TBC / Role

Unsure if Jason Saddington and Alicia Fox are included in the soft cap

Then you have all the high performance, medical staff etc who are included as well

With the cap dropping by 3.5mil per club unless more announcements are made Tuesday night I doubt anymore will leave as they have to be informed in Aug / Sept

With Lenny and Brad Miller leaving that has just assisted only in reducing our cap

Therefore I highly doubt a senior assistant will come in but do agree needed

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So our lack of connection to a running halfback in the league like clark or wiitho is a shame. It means we are backing the development of Cumming and the running of Kennedy. Maybe Xavier goes there or ward plays there more. Regardless, the lack of a significant personnel injection into that backline means we will need a shift in system to fix the issues in transition. Stevie J will help our forward line set up.. I like that. But it was clearly a issue.

It not as simple as telling players to play on more or take the first option. If players are not running in the right places, it doesn't matter as we will turn it over anyway. What seems a simple problem is pretty complex.

Here is hoping the off season review is as brutal as last year's review of the strength and conditioning.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So our lack of connection to a running halfback in the league like clark or wiitho is a shame.

Here is hoping the off season review is as brutal as last year's review of the strength and conditioning.
100% agree. Ultimately, we can only get them if we ask and they agree - if they see value in coming to GWS. So we don't know if we've talked to them and they've said no, or just haven't asked because we don't see the need. But while I think that our forwards - despite the likely loss of Jezza - and the midfield will be still good enough going forward, it's the defence where I am concerned, but the club doesn't seem to be.

That lack of looking at a running back, noting that I don't see anyone filling that directly from the draft (Lachlan Jones is the only ready-made counter-attacking HBF, but he's a Port academy pickup) appears to be our largest weakness for GWS, particularly given what's occurred over the last two seasons. It is the reason why I would like us to go for Heath Chapman from WA - while a tall defender (193cm), he's got both run and accurate kicking skills, so could provide some of what we've lacked.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
So our lack of connection to a running halfback in the league like clark or wiitho is a shame. It means we are backing the development of Cumming and the running of Kennedy. Maybe Xavier goes there or ward plays there more. Regardless, the lack of a significant personnel injection into that backline means we will need a shift in system to fix the issues in transition. Stevie J will help our forward line set up.. I like that. But it was clearly a issue.

It not as simple as telling players to play on more or take the first option. If players are not running in the right places, it doesn't matter as we will turn it over anyway. What seems a simple problem is pretty complex.

Backing in Lachie Ash I would have thought.

I'm more concerned about the midfield mix. Taranto + Hopper + Green is 3 contest oriented average skill midfielders. Play Ward and it's 4. Hard to do much other than slog from pack-to-pack when the other top-line midfields have you covered for pace and skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back