Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Why in the world would clarkson want to come?

it’s a pipe dream

Because:

1. It’s the end of the road at the Hawks
2. He believes he could get our list into the Top 8 in 2022.
3. Gill makes him an offer he can’t refuse.
4. If you’re going to change clubs, get out of VFL-land.
5. Sydney lifestyle > Melbourne lockdown.
6. He can wear his shorts in the snow at Manuka more regularly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

Interesting summary. Especially because we heard quite a few quotes about working on ball movement in the pre season. It’s at its absolute worst right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed - thanks for sharing.

Leppa being very diplomatic in saying ‘maybe we no longer have the magnets’.

So either we do have the worst list in the AFL, or the playing group has mentally checked out and is waiting for the new HC?

No one is suggesting the former, so it must be something along the lines of the latter.

Scariest part of all is that Blues fans want Teague out, yet Leppa noting how much better they are than us!

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Good analysis by Leppitsch.

The whole thing gets back to list imbalance. The problem with losing Williams was that he could play multiple roles. Taranto, Coniglio, Ward, Hopper, DeBoer, Green seem way more restricted in how you can use them.

It doesn't really help that Whitfield is out in terms of back half transition but geez there's some poor users by foot back there at present (Reid, Haynes, Davis).

Whilst Whitfield is out I think the side is best suited by Ash playing deep back pocket in the Shaw role and taking the kickouts. He's a fine talent and very reminiscent of Jake Lloyd for the Swans with a similar ceiling. That might allow Cumming to play off half back and play a little higher in that Whitfield type role.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Because:

1. It’s the end of the road at the Hawks
2. He believes he could get our list into the Top 8 in 2022.
3. Gill makes him an offer he can’t refuse.
4. If you’re going to change clubs, get out of VFL-land.
5. Sydney lifestyle > Melbourne lockdown.
6. He can wear his shorts in the snow at Manuka more regularly.

You sound like you are on the recruiting team. All very unlikely

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Agreed - thanks for sharing.

Leppa being very diplomatic in saying ‘maybe we no longer have the magnets’.

So either we do have the worst list in the AFL, or the playing group has mentally checked out and is waiting for the new HC?

No one is suggesting the former, so it must be something along the lines of the latter.

Scariest part of all is that Blues fans want Teague out, yet Leppa noting how much better they are than us!

You are a funny dude. You suggest two out of the blue options and then conclude your own suggestion is the clear solution!
You should get into politics

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
OK, so if that’s unlikely, who is the most likely HC in your opinion?

Well personally I’ve advocated for Leon through thick and thin. However this week was a turning point where for the first time I was actually talking to mates about whether he is the right man for the job. I think his strengths of relationships have helped keep players here and made up for perceived weaknesses of tactics and match play.

To be honest a large part of player retention (aside from things like hope/winning/finals) is actually stability in the footy department. So with that in mind I think the club will back him in for this year. If he underperforms then at the seasons end they might announce a change, but only if there is a clear better option. There just aren’t that many who we can consider gettable and a better option.

another factor to consider is the soft cap has been significantly reduced post covid so we probably can’t afford to pay out Cameron AND attract another coach. I realise this buys into your Stevie j narrative but imo he isn’t ready and nor has he currently been exceptional in his posts thus far.

so my take is coaching for his future in 2021 and the club will back him to turn it around until the position is untenable

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Leppitsch is right about our exit from D50 but I’d say the answer is dropping Cumming or at a minimum taking the kickouts away from him. Long bomb through the corridor or at 45 from the kick ins and just about every time it comes straight back into the 50. Perryman takes a kick in and he hits a target it Cumming was taking most of them.

it’s exactly the same method we have used for years and it doesn’t work and the whole comp know the plan. Heath Shaw and now Cumming.

if I didn’t know any better I would say that Cumming is trying to boost his fantasy score. 50m+ kick to a contest times roughly 15 kick ins for the game. 🤷‍♂️

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Long bomb through the corridor or at 45 from the kick ins and just about every time it comes straight back into the 50. Perryman takes a kick in and he hits a target it Cumming was taking most of them.
Cumming gives the ball too much air, so greater hang time, and more time for opposition positioning. Just kick it slightly sharper, and trajectory lowered.
But it's our kicking skills letting us down. Coniglio's & Ward's wobbly old punts upfield to no-one in particular, Kelly's elegant drop-punts artfully executed, but quite often not to advantage, now Daniels getting in on it with under-kicked darts.
Missing Whitfield massively, Perryman has to get more of the ball off half-back.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Really interesting listening on Footy Phil this week. Jacob Hopper is the guest and they address Leon and the game plan. Its a hard one because they obviously cant telegraph the game plan etc but it was interesting hearing it talked about from their perspective. They obviously will tow the line here but it was a real share from their point of view

Worth a listen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Really interesting listening on Footy Phil this week. Jacob Hopper is the guest and they address Leon and the game plan. Its a hard one because they obviously cant telegraph the game plan etc but it was interesting hearing it talked about from their perspective. They obviously will tow the line here but it was a real share from their point of view

Worth a listen

Will listen on the way to work. The title made me snort a bit though.
“The poison chalice that is the Giants coach.”

Now if we had had multiple coaches over the decade I could understand it but he really has been given all the time in the world.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels

Worth a listen
It's such a good show and they are always prepared to give a real insight.

Phil basically confirmed that the main reason they can't play a fast game plan anymore is due to personnel changes (ie they are way slower).

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Hard not to love Jacob Hopper’s ‘full maverick’ persona on this podcast.

Simply rocks up and slams the umpiring department to the horror of Phil and Allison.

Phil easily the best communicator at the club. A massive error not to leave him as a co-Captain, it would have halved the heat on Cogs.

I don’t think this podcast asked or could publicly answer some of the very sensitive key questions that hang over Leon and the team.

I think where the podcast message overreached is in suggesting members aren’t backing the club.

I expect everyone on this board donated their 2020 memberships.

No one is booing our players (yet), and I and many others here will trek 300+ kms down to Manuka with reckless optimism.

We all want the same positive outcome, but not many clubs claim to still be in the premiership window (Matthews), play inexplicably below potential and expect Members not to draw their own conclusions.

Also it’s not the club figures that front up like Phil and Jacob that worry me.

It’s the players that go ‘radio silent’, as we saw with Jezza in 2020.

Also, when was the last time the President Tony Shepherd made a public statement?

Many of us expect the next thing we hear from the President will be ‘The Coach has the full support of the Board’ - which are the 9 final words of every coaching career.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Will listen on the way to work. The title made me snort a bit though.
“The poison chalice that is the Giants coach.”

Now if we had had multiple coaches over the decade I could understand it but he really has been given all the time in the world.
Yeah but he didn’t mean it like that. Have a listen and he explains it well

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Congratulations to our former Senior Assistant Coach Matthew Nicks for having the Crows at 2 and 1 and playing passionate football in front of their home crowd.

The output being achieved by previously underperforming key players is ‘Tex’-tbook coaching.

Let’s hope we see some of this ourselves at Manuka tomorrow.

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
I have been one of those members who is "happy enough" with Leon. He's dealt with players trickling away, rotating door of assistant coaches and responding by altering the game style but now we seem 2 steps behind. If there's a change of HC then I will accept this is required.
This talk of high-level quasi-conspiracy tanking is totally the wrong move. History shows that this damages a club for years and it will undo 10 years of progress.
I like the idea McConnell as interim HC while we search for the next HC.
Our list is still good and a couple of targeted additions makes it quite good.
Never Surrender.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
So Davis and a few others have been all over the media saying it’s cheap easy and weak to go after the coach and we all back and love him, believe in him etc etc etc.

Yet we keep losing players, and this year looks no different, dangerously so.

All these players who believe and trust him are leaving and we will be stuck with a coach everyone loves and trusts but doesn’t want to play under.

Ffs

Well personally I’ve advocated for Leon through thick and thin. However this week was a turning point where for the first time I was actually talking to mates about whether he is the right man for the job. I think his strengths of relationships have helped keep players here and made up for perceived weaknesses of tactics and match play.

To be honest a large part of player retention (aside from things like hope/winning/finals) is actually stability in the footy department. So with that in mind I think the club will back him in for this year. If he underperforms then at the seasons end they might announce a change, but only if there is a clear better option. There just aren’t that many who we can consider gettable and a better option.

another factor to consider is the soft cap has been significantly reduced post covid so we probably can’t afford to pay out Cameron AND attract another coach. I realise this buys into your Stevie j narrative but imo he isn’t ready and nor has he currently been exceptional in his posts thus far.

so my take is coaching for his future in 2021 and the club will back him to turn it around until the position is untenable
Preety much my thoughts mate.
I've also continued to support, but have run out of justification to do so

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Don Pyke,

Super smart, works well with young players, doing amazing job at Swans, available.

Get him in and Magoo out.

Having a guy already based in Sydney with his family settled is a big advantage. Also whoever we go with needs to have a proven track record.
If only we went with Adam Simpson instead of Leon in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess and the club would likely already have a flag.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, we've had trouble getting assistant coaches in, suspect there might be an issue for a senior coach moving to Sydney with the reduced soft cap, so having someone who's already in the city would be a benefit. Pyke seems to have revitalised Sydney - can he do the same for GWS? Would he be up for the move across town after a year - possibly the best time to strike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back