Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

I guess part of the question is whether there's a difference in pressure from within the club itself, the media, and the fans. If we look at Leon, there's certainly been media pressure on for a few years now (the whole ''keys to the Ferrari'' media line). These last two years we've seen increasing dissatisfaction from us fans. The latter, and to a large extent the former, went away with making finals again this year. And the overall view of performance seems to be making 5 out of the last 6 finals series, and a 7-6 W-L record in finals, is pretty solid. We've therefore seen no indication of club dissatisfaction with Leon. And you'd argue similarly for Scott at Geelong, and Hinkley at Port.

But I certainly hold the mathematical argument that only 1 club wins it each year, and so a ''fair'' proportion is 1 every 18 years. Lions, Hawks and Tigers have distorted that in the last 2 decades (which is actually natural, when you think about it - so the cycle should be more 2 flags every 36 years, or 3 in 54 years).

But I do agree with ClockworkOrange that at some point, surely, a club will question whether a coach has had enough time to win a flag, and even continuing to make finals becomes insufficient to keep the faith. No coach will be given 18, 36 or 54 years to win a flag!

Mathematically, you win 1 in 18 (all things being equal), so 1 in 25 is not too far away.
I just don't understand why those 3 should be under pressure.
They have consistently had there teams competitive and in the mix. Only 1 team can win it each year.

That’s a good question.

I think the answer is that these teams have had strong lists that have been able to repeatedly push to Finals, Prelims and GFs and yet not convert it to Flags - except once a decade ago.

I think that’s the ‘mathematical anomaly’ for these coaches.

Contrast it with a Simpson, Clarkson or Hardwick who have a higher Finals to Flags conversion rate.

The pressure is particularly acute on a coach like Hinkley or Leon who has been in the role for a near decade without the proof of a Flag.

All of that is debatable, but that’s the thinking I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I guess part of the question is whether there's a difference in pressure from within the club itself, the media, and the fans. If we look at Leon, there's certainly been media pressure on for a few years now (the whole ''keys to the Ferrari'' media line). These last two years we've seen increasing dissatisfaction from us fans. The latter, and to a large extent the former, went away with making finals again this year. And the overall view of performance seems to be making 5 out of the last 6 finals series, and a 7-6 W-L record in finals, is pretty solid. We've therefore seen no indication of club dissatisfaction with Leon. And you'd argue similarly for Scott at Geelong, and Hinkley at Port.

But I certainly hold the mathematical argument that only 1 club wins it each year, and so a ''fair'' proportion is 1 every 18 years. Lions, Hawks and Tigers have distorted that in the last 2 decades (which is actually natural, when you think about it - so the cycle should be more 2 flags every 36 years, or 3 in 54 years).

But I do agree with ClockworkOrange that at some point, surely, a club will question whether a coach has had enough time to win a flag, and even continuing to make finals becomes insufficient to keep the faith. No coach will be given 18, 36 or 54 years to win a flag!

I largely agree.

Ultimately, a club can hire one of three types of coaches - an average one, a below average one or an above average one.

Average is flag ever 18 years, above average is maybe 1 in 10-15 years, below average is 20-never.

Because there will never be an 18 year coaching contract, most clubs will tend to draw strong conclusions after 8-9 years (hiring contract plus two extensions).

Many won’t give it nearly that long (insert Carlton logo here).

And all will give their right arm for a coach proven to be above average (insert Clarko photo here).

Last edited:

I would like the club to look at an experienced assistant but I see it as unlikely as the difficulty of recruiting 1 to Sydney in the current climate fianancially and ease of travel and if 2022 is last chance saloon for Cameron they may not want to be involved in moving inter state and then upending again if a coaching clean out occurs
A thought for 2022 is if Pyke stays at the Swans he enjoys Sydney more he could be offered the job for then

I think a pass mark for Cameron for next year is not scrapping into the finals, minimum semis, minimum 110%, Coniglio plays like the leader the team needs, and no losses to the bottom teams like this season with Hawks, Suns and the Roos draw

A fit list and home games should help with those targets

A thought for 2022 is if Pyke stays at the Swans he enjoys Sydney more he could be offered the job for then

Putting our club completely aside for a moment, the Pyke situation at the Swans is a hard one to understand.

I asked on the Swans board recently if they thought he was their next coach and the answer I got was ‘no’.

He pulled out of the Carlton race if memory serves me, so I’m not sure if he really, really wants to be an AFL HC again.

Is he living in Sydney for lifestyle/family as a permanent shift or just to be at the Swans temporarily?

He has business interests outside of footy by all accounts.

Happy to be set straight if anyone has a better handle on Pyke’s future intentions.

I would like the club to look at an experienced assistant but I see it as unlikely as the difficulty of recruiting 1 to Sydney in the current climate fianancially and ease of travel and if 2022 is last chance saloon for Cameron they may not want to be involved in moving inter state and then upending again if a coaching clean out occurs

I think a pass mark for Cameron for next year is not scrapping into the finals, minimum semis, minimum 110%, Coniglio plays like the leader the team needs, and no losses to the bottom teams like this season with Hawks, Suns and the Roos draw

Doubt the suns are a bottom team next year tbh

And nobody gets fired cos they lose to north

That judgement of success lacks context

Doubt the suns are a bottom team next year tbh

And nobody gets fired cos they lose to north

That judgement of success lacks context

My Suns comment was in terms of the loss this year, injuries and momentum effect teams greatly through the year (Tigers this year) so who knows who will be struggling in 2022 but at this stage I would say if the team losses to the Crows finals maybe out of the question

I don't think Leon will be sacked off 1 loss but the cause will be no flags, 1 grand final appearence (maybe 1/4 of a appearence) in 10 years of being HC of a very talented team and a poor season in 2022 many will think the club is justified in that move but also I actually think Cameron will be ready for a change with the job incredibly demanding and Covid has not helped and add an extended time away from home this and last year he may want to spend time with family
Was his family with them last year or this year? I think 3 teenage children would be alot with what is going on

Those were some factors that I think are important to me for Leon to be judged as a succesful coach in season 2022, or a Pass mark

its more than win loss.

If we have a good run of injuries you'd expect to comfortably make the 8. If we don't, questions asked.

This year we scraped in, but I think it was an amazing coaching performance given the adversity. Grabbing a win in the finals also helps.

Do you still want him out?

lol really?

I think I’ve been pretty honest that I’ve been a Leon out guy, I’ve also said earlier in this thread that he has done an amazing job this year with all the trials and tribulations the club has gone through.

Yes I do still think a new set of eyes are needed. But I also think he has earned the right to finish his contract next season.

lol really?

I think I’ve been pretty honest that I’ve been a Leon out guy, I’ve also said earlier in this thread that he has done an amazing job this year with all the trials and tribulations the club has gone through.

Yes I do still think a new set of eyes are needed. But I also think he has earned the right to finish his contract next season.

If we see the flexibility exhibited in the second half of the year across the first half of next year, it becomes a lot more interesting question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a good get.

TBF, the backs coach is doing a fabulous job.

The development of our young Backman has been exceptional, our performance down back has been excellent.

All this despite the fact that on paper, our ack 6 is the weakest part of our side. Even Taylor has only played 50 games.

Was Craig Lambert in a full time role last season?
I think when they were in lockdown in Melbourne he was after being part time earlier in the season.

Very good call to get some experience into the box. Still think a don pike, Michael Voss, Alan Richardson style day to day would make a big difference day to day too

Was Craig Lambert in a full time role last season?

He wasn’t on the coaching panel last/this year at all, he was doing other stuff around the club in the welfare area (I think), but with the chaos of the on the road covid crap, he stepped in helped out with some of the training sessions as a bit of coach (all hands on deck sort of thing) - that now seems to be made more “official”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back