Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

According to Tom Browne the names his hearing are Don Pyke, Adam Yze or Mark Mcveigh staying in the role.

According to Tom Browne the names his hearing are Don Pyke, Adam Yze or Mark Mcveigh staying in the role.
No Clarkson?

Im very ok with the 2 outside options being considered.

Im ok to see what happens with mcVeigh, if he does a great job for the rest of the year he can coahc himself into consideration.

If it's McVeigh he needs the right support in place. If the guys currently helping are not available then it leaves a big hole. McVeigh would be very cheap allowing more soft cap to better spent in other areas.
Firm no to Clarkson for this exact reason. Would love to know what Leon's salary was.

That's a pretty good 3 imo, if McVeigh proves himself to be the guy I don't see a reason why he shouldn't be the coach
I tend to be a fan of an outside perspective when it comes to hiring a coach.

It's relatively unusual for an interim coach to make a fist of it unless they've been specifically groomed as a succession plan, mainly because they've been part of the team that's underperformed sufficiently to get a coach axed.

It's relatively unusual for an interim coach to make a fist of it unless they've been specifically groomed as a succession plan, mainly because they've been part of the team that's underperformed sufficiently to get a coach axed.
Great point. We need to look externally

Whats everyone think the reason is behind our second halves being so underwhelming, feel like most games we play quite well in the first half and then either the good teams pull away against us in the second half or the bad teams narrow the gap or atl east don't make it to much worse. When they're up big I can sort of chalk it up to taking their foot of the gas a bit even if it happens every time we get a big lead on someone, but even games that are close or we're within stirking distance we just seem to get run over. Doesn't appear to be just a Leon thing either, played awesome footy in the first half each of the last 3 weeks and then seem to fade a bit later on, although the late charge against Brisbane was nice to see they failed to put them away and it cost us.

Yep - however the problem is the Board becomes under pressure to appoint the caretaker after they get improved results via the new coach bounce.

Whats everyone think the reason is behind our second halves being so underwhelming, feel like most games we play quite well in the first half and then either the good teams pull away against us in the second half or the bad teams narrow the gap or atl east don't make it to much worse. When they're up big I can sort of chalk it up to taking their foot of the gas a bit even if it happens every time we get a big lead on someone, but even games that are close or we're within stirking distance we just seem to get run over. Doesn't appear to be just a Leon thing either, played awesome footy in the first half each of the last 3 weeks and then seem to fade a bit later on, although the late charge against Brisbane was nice to see they failed to put them away and it cost us.

100% agree on this, been thinking about it for a while and can only put it down to fitness and conditioning. It’s been an issue for the last 2 seasons. Are we backing off training intensity to prevent soft tissue injuries??
If we played 4 qtrs like we do our first halves there is no doubt we would be in the 8 aiming for finals again.

We need Darren Burgess to be running our high performance dept!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike, Pike and Yze seem to be the names being thrown around. I like those options. Leppitsch should be another one in conversation. Highly regarded, helped tigers reach their dynasty and now doing it for the Pies.
I think Spike has been huge already, albeit vs North and Eagles. Big test to come and no easy run home. He is on trial and if he continues to perform he would be a good chance and would not take as much soft cap space. Could use this additional cap space to go for Pike.

Also would like to know how much influence Hird and Solomon have been? They could well come with Spike as a package if performances continue to be strong.

Spike, Pike and Yze seem to be the names being thrown around. I like those options. Leppitsch should be another one in conversation. Highly regarded, helped tigers reach their dynasty and now doing it for the Pies.
I think Spike has been huge already, albeit vs North and Eagles. Big test to come and no easy run home. He is on trial and if he continues to perform he would be a good chance and would not take as much soft cap space. Could use this additional cap space to go for Pike.

Also would like to know how much influence Hird and Solomon have been? They could well come with Spike as a package if performances continue to be strong.

Think if we keep on this trajectory the rest of the season and look pretty dangerous down the stretch, Hird gets the Essendon coaching job. I think their season keeps going down the toilet and truck will get the sack and they'll talk themselves into Hird having a big role in our rebounding second half (not sure that would be true) and he's an all time great club legend.

From today’s The Australian:

Giants eye Blue coup

Carlton assistant Ashley Hansen has emerged as a dark horse in the race in the race to coach Greater Western Sydney as his stocks continue to rise.

The Giants are continuing to work through their selection process and will aim to interview a series of highly-rated assistants as well as Hawthorn premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson.

It remains unclear if James Hird, who is serving current stand-in coach Mark McVeigh, will put his hand up to replace Leon Cameron in the top job for 2023.

Clarkson remains the favourite for the gig but the Giants could yet go down the same path as Collingwood (Craig McRae) and Fremantle (Justin Longmuir) and appoint the best assistant, regardless of their public profile.

Hansen, 39, has been lauded for his work with the fast-rising Blues this season with Michael Voss’s men eyeing a top-four berth despite a swathe of injuries.

Adem Yze (Melbourne), Adam Kingsley (Richmond) and Don Pyke (Sydney) are also considered among the best assistants in the country and senior coaching candidates.

Hansen, who won a premiership at West Coast as a hard-leading forward, helped steer the Western Bulldogs to a flag in 2016 amid a decade at the kennel.

Hansen is forwards and offensive coach at Carlton and is highly-rated for his strategy and tactical understanding as well as his player and staff relationships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming out of a hiatus here. I think what the club needs most right now is a HC with a fully developed game plan or ability to put one together the team can understand and execute. That’s obvious I know.

However, secondly they just have to have the leadership attributes to demand and get the club as whole lift…from the membership and front office to the footy department. Everyone is still doing a great job, but I sense a drop off across the board. I now the President and CEO should be leading this, but for me a Clarkson or Pyke walk in the door and say I am only here if you guys are genuine…heads down let’s go...no rest until we get the big prize. Not sure a Spike, Yze or Hansen can do this.

For me Clarkson is able to innovate and trust he can build a contemporary game plan and get the boys to execute. TBH, he walks in the door and doesn’t need to say anything. Everyone will stand taller. Has to be the number one target, then Pike of all the names being tossed around.

Not necessarily his fault but McVeigh can’t be our next coach. He spoke last night about the nature of our defensive woes and how it would take at least a preseason to fix.
Because he has been a long time part of the coaching structure that allowed us to fall as we have, it is just too risky to stick with him imo.

The other consideration is that we had at least another soft tissue injury (hammy) last night.
We have to invest big time in our strength and conditioning department. Have to be industry leading/best.

The other consideration is that we had at least another soft tissue injury (hammy) last night.
We have to invest big time in our strength and conditioning department. Have to be industry leading/best.
This is an understated advantage to bringing in Clarkson - he's got the contacts to actually get decent staff in to these positions.

Inside the calm chaos of Greater Western Sydney’s coaches’ box​

Fans love to see a coach explode behind the glass during a game – but as ROB FORSAITH discovers, the true power of the tactical centre comes from the perfect harmony of the many voices inside it.

“Let it go … you’ve got to just let it go mate.”
Those words are generally sage advice on any Saturday night – and so it proves when offered by James Hird to Mark McVeigh during the second quarter of an enthralling contest at Giants Stadium. McVeigh isn’t spoiling for a fight. But the GWS Giants’ interim coach, who was outgoing mentor Leon Cameron’s nomination to take the reins, is growing impatient as he waits for a return call from Braydon Preuss in the second quarter. Preuss is still in the rooms, having hurt his ankle in the opening term. The coaches’ box has been provided updates as medicos assess the ruckman’s injury, jab the ankle then attempt to get him moving. “The longer this goes, the longer we’re down a rotation. We’ve almost just got to make the call,” Hird recommends. Soon after, medical sub Jarrod Brander enters the fray at the expense of Preuss. It is one of several turning points during the highest-scoring game of the season, with the Giants and Bulldogs trading metaphorical blows rather than the more literal ones doled out in recent years of this rivalry. It is also one of several spinning plates for McVeigh’s panel, who are repeatedly forced to rethink their plans because of three injuries, a combined 10 goals from Aaron Naughton and Cody Weightman, and an opposition capable of scoring in a hurry.
There is something undeniably intriguing – and almost ethereal – about an AFL coaches’ box.

Perceptions are shaped by GIFable reactions we see on TV, legendary sprays of yesteryear, and the hole that Alastair Clarkson once punched in the wall of the MCG. This is not a normal workplace – belated leaking of audio certainly confirmed it was hot in Rodney Eade’s kitchen. Yet McVeigh, who started at GWS as an academy coach soon after Kevin Sheedy handed the baton onto Cameron, and football manager Jason McCartney agree to CodeSports’ request to be a fly on the wall of this most inner sanctum. The only caveat is a game-day RAT test, and a request that sensitive tactical information stays within the box. An insightful evening begins with McVeigh’s pre-game address to GWS chairman Tony Shepherd, chief executive Dave Matthews – two men doing the bulk of the work when it comes to finding Cameron’s permanent successor – and some coterie supporters. A whiteboard displays the message that McVeigh just delivered to his charges: ‘Giants play for something greater than themselves’. The word ‘rivalry’ is circled below match-up magnets, while ‘domestique’ features prominently.

McVeigh presents with a confidence and composure that belies the fact this is his fourth game in charge.“Domestique is just a word that we’ve used over the last few weeks about being a servant of your teammates, doing things that support your teammates,” McVeigh explains, adding that rivalry is not about punching on. The group breaks after a chance for questions (Shepherd is keen to know what Ryan Angwin’s role on debut will be) before McVeigh and his assistants offer their final words of wisdom to players. The first thing that strikes you about the box is the weight of numbers (both personnel and stats). Hird and Dean Solomon have served as part-time FIFO coaches in recent weeks, joining the panel at the request of former Essendon teammate McVeigh. Steve Johnson, Amon Buchanan and Craig Jennings are also in the box, as are data analysts Aidan Russell and Mitch Hanrahan, and McCartney. There are two phones – usually in the hands of Johnson and Hird. Ruck coach Shane Mumford and development coach Craig Lambert are sitting on the other end of the line, passing on feedback to players (directly and indirectly via the team runner). The second thing is how conversation is remarkably seamless – and for the most part relatively calm – despite so many voices and on-field volatility. There is method to the madness as everybody reacts to clearances, handball chains, goals, tackles, errors, momentum swings and untimely injuries. The odd f-bomb is dropped, but there simply isn’t time for carry on. Energy is instead focused on observations, ideas and questions. Reactive emotions of rage, relief and radiance are almost instantly converted into requests for snippets of footage that can be shown to players, helping reinforce a key message during the major breaks.

McVeigh is at the helm but far from autocratic. One of two big-picture halftime messages (“you only get one chance with ball in-hand against these guys”) is straight from the book of Solomon. A countdown clock on the wall sits adjacent to a TV screen full of data. McVeigh rarely has a chance to look at either – such is the chaos and competition for eyeballs. Instead, McCartney and Hird inform the box of time equation at key intervals as key statistical trends are barked out. Everybody knows their role, including the 1996 Brownlow medallist. Hird has become a point of public fascination since first joining the Giants as a leadership consultant for this season, marking his first role at an AFL club since leaving Essendon in 2015. It is premature to speculate about Hird’s coaching ambitions beyond this year, but Saturday night represents the first chance to see what the GWS dynamic is really like. Hird, the most experienced member of the coaching panel, is often the conduit between bench and box. There is an efficiency to what are akin to customer-service announcements to the box. “We‘ve lost JP for five minutes. Hamstring,” Hird explains when James Peatling first retreats to the bench. Messages directed down the phone line are likewise succinct. “Aggressive ball movement. Don’t go into our shell, you have to take the game on,” Hird instructs as the Bulldogs threaten to run away in the opening half. Hird is patently invested – a brilliant goal in the fourth quarter elicits an excited response of “that’s what happens when we take the game on!”. The Essendon legend is measured in commentary and critique, and not the dominant voice in the box. He is a sounding board for McVeigh, who leans on all of his assistants – for example when debating how best to manage a hobbled Angwin in the final term.

Conversation swirls around – covering Angwin’s ankle, remaining rotation numbers, the risk of cooking overworked players and the need to chase victory – before McVeigh decides to prematurely end the debutant’s night because he is too restricted. The resultant on-field rejig (Harry Himmelberg had already been pitched into the ruck to help Lachie Keeffe) becomes the latest on a long list of tactical conundrums. Johnson joins in this chat then picks up the phone, seemingly recognising how Angwin might be feeling after his debut failed to go to plan. “Mummy, just tell Rhino (Angwin) that he’s sore and that’s why he’s off,” the former star forward says. The unpredictable nature of a game, and the inner workings of a box responding when things go awry, are the butterfly effect in action. Every coach has their own designated responsibility and group of players they routinely work with, yet there is often a need for collaboration and overlap. McVeigh brings his panel together at the halftime siren, wanting to finalise new match-ups before each coach addresses their respective lines. Jennings, himself pitched into the role of back line coach in January after initially joining the club in a part-time opposition and strategy role, is put under the most duress in round 14. Matt Flynn’s late withdrawal and Preuss’ injury create knock-on effects everywhere, but especially in defence after Keeffe and Himmelberg are recast as rucks. Naughton and Weightman are imposing headaches; switching Adam Kennedy onto the latter proves a smart call. If Hird and Solomon are aces up McVeigh’s sleeve then the clumsy analogy to follow might be Johnson as the joker. Bob Murphy was responsible for arguably the best description of Stevie J’s on-field wizardry during a highlight-laden career, writing he was “three parts genius and one part rascal”.

There are flashes of Johnson’s trademark wit in the box, but also plenty of scything analysis and a capacity to read the play before it happens. “Just don’t kick it to English, whatever you do,” Johnson pleads. Sure enough, opposing ruckman Tim English clunks the resultant intercept mark with apparent ease. “Go! Toby is on,” Johnson encourages at another juncture. Sure enough, multiple players work the ball through traffic, down the field, and to Toby Greene for one of his seven goals. The group opine about the “danger zone”, “needing a spitter”, “the jacks” and “A1” while pitching various ideas throughout a topsy-turvy tussle. To an untrained ear it almost sounds like another language. To everybody else in the box, it is all about arresting momentum. That challenge was at its most pressing during the third term, when GWS briefly hit the front then conceded the next five goals. Buchanan, the longest-serving assistant since McVeigh’s elevation into the top role, is in charge of the midfield. He wants Stephen Coniglio, Tanner Bruhn and Tom Green at the centre bounce in that third quarter. The plan for rotations is tweaked again. McVeigh and his ideas factory all contribute some thoughts as they search for a potential circuit-breaker. Could they shift Greene into the middle? The notion proves as divisive as you’d imagine. The competitive co-captain would likely stymie the Bulldogs’ stoppage dominance, but it means removing the hosts’ most potent threat from their forward line. McVeigh decides the cost is too great but rolls the dice by rucking Himmelberg.

Belief of an upset remains palpable in the final term despite the injury toll. Hird remarks – with six minutes remaining, the Giants pressing, and the Bulldogs holding a 19-point lead – that “we’ve got plenty of time”. The GWS brains trust responds quickly to Luke Beveridge’s deployment of a spare man behind the ball, denying the Dogs a numerical advantage. However, Josh Dunkley’s goal with a tick over four minutes remaining is unofficially the end of the contest. A very brief moment of hushed silence grips the GWS coaches‘ box, confirming as much. McVeigh instantly refocuses, demanding another goal while urging his side to finish strongly. Greene slots his seventh goal and comes close to snatching an eighth in the final minute.

“Plenty to work with – 105 points (scored), three blokes down,” McCartney says as the final siren sounds, prompting everybody to draw breath after a 20-point defeat. McVeigh debriefs with his panel. Keeffe’s dogged attempt to fill the void of Preuss despite very little ruck experience is praised as much as Greene’s career-best haul. Soon after, players shuffle into the room for McVeigh’s final address of the night. The coach’s tone is upbeat, highlighting how many players gave everything but fell short. The initials ‘TG, ST, LK, AK, SC, TG’ are scrawled on the bottom of a whiteboard featuring some key pointers.
McVeigh cycles through the efforts of Greene, Sam Taylor, Keeffe, Kennedy, Coniglio and Green, explaining why he singled them out while urging the entire team to not get despondent.“Stay up and about. I‘m really proud of you for pushing them. Now let’s get back to our DNA around contested ball and tackling,” McVeigh closes.

A great stat to highlight how good Cogs has been this year. Per Cody Atkinson on Twitter

In stoppage/CB chains where Coniglio got the first disposal basically clearances) the Giants have scored 125 points - the most of any player in the league. Also the most on a per chain basis with a min of 20 disps. League ave is 0.8 points per such chain, Cogs is at 1.8.

Last edited:
A great stat to highlight how good Cogs has been this year. Per Cody Atkinson on Twitter

In stoppage/CB chains where Cogniglio got the first disposal basically clearances) the Giants have scored 125 points - the most of any player in the league. Also the most on a per chain basis with a min of 20 disps. League ave is 0.8 points per such chain, Cogs is at 1.8.
It’s almost as though there was a reason for offering him a mill a year…

It’s almost as though there was a reason for offering him a mill a year…
I have been a harsh critic on Cogs for the last couple of years. But, I am so very glad he has turned the corner! Think about everything that was stacked against him in 2020 / 2021. I don't think he has been fully fit until the pre-season just gone and hence Leon played him out of position, having the captaincy in 2020 when the season was entirely different than what the AFL has ever produced due to covid. For me mainly it was the injuries and him knowing he wasn't at 100% but still wanted to help the team so he put his hand up to play at 75% fitness as a forward pocket and get hounded by the media and the fans. That in itself takes some serious balls!

I have been a harsh critic on Cogs for the last couple of years. But, I am so very glad he has turned the corner! Think about everything that was stacked against him in 2020 / 2021. I don't think he has been fully fit until the pre-season just gone and hence Leon played him out of position, having the captaincy in 2020 when the season was entirely different than what the AFL has ever produced due to covid. For me mainly it was the injuries and him knowing he wasn't at 100% but still wanted to help the team so he put his hand up to play at 75% fitness as a forward pocket and get hounded by the media and the fans. That in itself takes some serious balls!

From day dot Up until he go injured in 2019 he as our best and most important mid. 2 way running mid with zip who can kick goals. Every time he got injured it had a negative impact on the side.

The last couple of years has been a real shame but he is showing why he got that big offer. He was a victim of Leon’s preference for fitting 22 inside mids into the side and got pushed out of the midfield because of his versatility not because others were better mids

Caroline Wilson on the ABC offsides program suggested that Clarkson would prefer not to go to the Giants (maybe didn’t want to move??) anyone else heard rumours?

Caroline Wilson on the ABC offsides program suggested that Clarkson would prefer not to go to the Giants (maybe didn’t want to move??) anyone else heard rumours?

This seems to suggest that we are front runners, so make of that what you will

Speaking on Channel 9, Wilson said the Giants are currently the frontrunners given they already have an opening after the club parted ways with Leon Cameron last month as Mark McVeigh took the reins as caretaker.

It's all just click-bait.

Personally, I'd be surprised if he did leave Melbourne to coach GWS. However, I do think it would be good for us, as we'd suddenly get a greater degree of respect from VFL House and the VFL media, and access to better assistant coaches, medical staff etc (which TBH is where our greatest problem lies). None of the other coaches would bring that same "ability".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back