Analysis Giants Coaching. Congratulations Adam Kingsley & welcome to GWS.

Who is your preference to be next coach of GWS Giants?

• Alistair Clarkson

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Don Pyke

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Nathan Buckley

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Ross Lyon

• Mark McVeigh

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns

• Blake Caracella

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Adam Yze

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Daniel Giansiracusa

• Luke Power

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Ash Hansen

• Andrew McQualter

• Chris Scott

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK.png

The GIANTS are delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Kingsley as the club’s next AFL head coach.

As a former Premiership and Best and Fairest winner with Port Adelaide, where he played 170 games, Kingsley quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, immediately taking up assistant coaching roles with Port Adelaide and then St Kilda. After eight years with the Saints, Kingsley joined Richmond as assistant coach in 2019 where he played a leading role in the Tigers’ last two Premierships.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews said Kingsley's appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club. “On behalf of the Board and our entire organisation, I’m thrilled to confirm Adam Kingsley as our new head coach,” Mr Matthews said. “After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job. Adam has outstanding values that align with the GIANTS and with 16 years’ coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a strong, clear communicator, and someone who brings people together. In our 11 years in the competition we have undoubtedly become a successful club with a fantastic culture and a great playing list. But we haven’t been satisfied with our recent results. We - and Adam - believe success isn’t far away and we’re thrilled to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club. This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam's appointment will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our game across NSW and the ACT. We look forward to welcoming Adam, his wife Nadine and children Cayla, Ethan and Raf to the GIANTS family.”

Mr Matthews also paid tribute to caretaker coach Mark McVeigh. "We thank Mark for his efforts as interim senior coach and the tireless work he has contributed to our program since taking over in round 10,” Mr Matthews said. “It’s a difficult job to come in as caretaker coach but he attacked the role with fresh ideas and sought to improve our players, staff and program at every step. Mark is a person of the highest integrity and character, and he has always put the club first. He was steadfast in leaving the program ready for whoever would be taking over.”

Following an extensive interview process, Kingsley was deemed the best fit for the GIANTS by the club’s interview panel that consisted of Mr Matthews, Chairman Tony Shepherd AO, Football Director Jimmy Bartel and General Manager of Football Jason McCartney. Kingsley said he was honoured to have the opportunity to coach the club for the next three years. “This is an incredibly exciting opportunity,” he said. “It’s a privilege and an honour to be the next senior coach of the GIANTS. I’ve been clear in my aspirations to become a senior coach and over the last 16 years I’ve continued to learn and develop to the point now where I’m absolutely ready to take the next step in my coaching career. This is a club which has built a strong culture from the ground up in just a few short years. In just 11 years the GIANTS have made multiple preliminary finals, and a Grand Final, and while the ultimate success has eluded the club, it’s clear the building blocks are in place. It's clear the players, staff, members and fans are hungry for success, and we’re going to drive each other to get to where we want to go. I believe in this club and what we can achieve together.”

Kingsley played 170 games for Port Adelaide between 1997 and 2006 and was a member of the club’s inaugural team as well as their first Premiership in 2004. He won the Power’s club champion award in just his second season. In 2007, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, a position in which he stayed in until the end of 2010. Kingsley joined St Kilda at the end of the 2010 season as an assistant coach before moving to Richmond in 2019.

Sorry but that is just wrong the swans are no different to us they run under an afl appointed board Colless was just willing to ruffle feathers. Shepherd is a clown.

I stand corrected on the ownership. Thanks for the heads-up. I have a more positive view of Shepherd overall during the period of his tenure, but the need for change to reflect new challenges is a valid point. Again, rather than just change for its own sake I'd still like to see who would be the replacement. On another thread I have said for the Club to go forward as a community entity it needs members to have a greater say in its governance.

Sheeds was the perfect man for the job at the time, but things have moved on since then.
In the Sydney sports market people like winners and if Clarkson brings winning, then that will be enough to get attention, sans hamming it up.
His aura of success and habit of surrounding himself with top people is the main "prize".

This is so true. Being a Perth boy, when I moved to Sydney I could not believe how support fluctuates here in all sports.

Western sydney wanderers will get 500 people at a game when not doing well and 25,000 when doing well.

I sometimes wonder if the cost of living and travel affects it in this market too though. I’m a giants member, but this year I found it heaps harder to get to some of the games as we now live almost 2 hours from the stadium. That’s no excuse, but makes it more difficult

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This should really only be helpful to us as a rugby league state. Not sure how they could swindle it for North Melbourne in an AFL heartland. Could be the difference given he wants a team but North could also agree to pay the tax.

I know it won’t happen, but imagine if the giants got Clarko, dusty & Buddy. That would be a pretty good drawcard.

This club has been really successful in Canberra: that partnership has been awesome for this club in my opinion

Understand your concerns but you need to know this is far from a level playing field. Your team is the home of 60% of draftable talent, you have history, membership, strong coterie, father/son, Next Gen.

We have are strong set up allowance which has been severely eroded, AFL support, coterie group, Academy.

Our initial Academy boundary has been strongly reduced (Cheers Eddie) we won’t have any father sons for at least 18 years, we are in a rugby league stronghold, have all the league stronghold teams constantly targeting our kids.

We have higher cost of living but no cola which impinges our ability to keep players and recruit coaching assistants.

If the AFL give us a leg up in this one area its necessary as it’s hardly a level playing field. Right now it really seems we are designed to be a development team, as is Gold Coast.

If this continues the small group of fans we have will lose hope and probably lose interest in the team.

I agree

It has to be understood that simply having Clarkson will attract players to seek a trade to North Melbourne. And they can stay in their own home and not have to move their family.

Players will only ever want to go to western sydney for one reason, to win a flag. With the giants not being in a premiership window, this becomes incredibly hard. 90% of players that move their family here are not going to live in sydney for ever. One day they move their family back.

I have a family, and I know how incredibly hard a decision that is to uproot kids from their school and friends. There has to be a pretty good reason to do it.

Clarkson at North doesn’t create that same problem. So the playing field is nowhere near level

I have a family, and I know how incredibly hard a decision that is to uproot kids from their school and friends

That's great but Clarko has no children in school after this year so that's a lame excuse if he doesn't choose us and chooses the kangaroos. He has met us 4 times but according to robbo in the hs tonight he is leaning to the kangaroos embarrassing really imo. Kids also need to suck it up as parents need to work and sometimes that means they have to move.

Not bad for children to learn sometimes life involves moving.

Anyway looks like we will be forced to go with an l plate coach worrying times imo.

Geez I hope we don’t end up with Hinkley.
I don’t know if he’s the guy but why so negative about him in particular? His record is not that bad and they have never had the best list…unlike us who have had the best list several times.

I could be wrong and hope I am but the rumours on Friday from people I respect was Clarko had decided to coach and was highly likely to go to North Melbourne. If that’s the case we have Yze, Kingsley, Spike…all pretty much untried.

I don’t know how we could have any more confidence a young untried coach can get a bunch of egos to understand how to run both ways and play where it’s best for the team?

I definitely don’t know what the answer is but I don’t know if we can be so negative about Hinkley specifically?

I don’t know if he’s the guy but why so negative about him in particular? His record is not that bad and they have never had the best list…unlike us who have had the best list several times.

I could be wrong and hope I am but the rumours on Friday from people I respect was Clarko had decided to coach and was highly likely to go to North Melbourne. If that’s the case we have Yze, Kingsley, Spike…all pretty much untried.

I don’t know how we could have any more confidence a young untried coach can get a bunch of egos to understand how to run both ways and play where it’s best for the team?

I definitely don’t know what the answer is but I don’t know if we can be so negative about Hinkley specifically?
Ask Port fans.
Tactically they are not strong, and he hasn’t embedded a strong style of play in about 10 years.
They had an absolute gift last year to play in a gf and put in the worst finals performance I’ve ever seen.
I don’t think he’s the man.

The one plus I would say about Hinkley is that he has both played and coached in non-traditional footy markets and understands it requires a more broad skill set than coaching in the heartland.
The other plus is that he could bring with him higher quality fitness staff given his connections with both Geelong and Port plus the dream scenario of using his connection with Darren Burgess.

Got to say outside of Clarkson its not just about what they offer as a coach but also who they can bring with them to improve a footy department that needs a major overhaul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other plus is that he could bring with him higher quality fitness staff given his connections with both Geelong and Port plus the dream scenario of using his connection with Darren Burgess.
Burgess is perhaps more sought after than any AFL coach and is absolutely no chance of leaving South Australia.

He wanted to stay at the Dees till his career ended but went home to be near his kids.

Perhaps Don Pike has been tarnished by the Adelaide camp experience, and you'd expect the Giants recruitment team to quiz him thoroughly.
As for Hinkley, he's had 10 years of it, burn-out could be close. It's a no for him too.

Perhaps Don Pike has been tarnished by the Adelaide camp experience, and you'd expect the Giants recruitment team to quiz him thoroughly.
As for Hinkley, he's had 10 years of it, burn-out could be close. It's a no for him too.
James Hird was being heavily spoken of as the new HC, including in the media, until he ruled himself out. Despite his previous transgressions it appeared that he was largely 'forgiven', and most were prepared to give him a 'second chance'. If Hird can be treated thus, then surely Pike deserves at least the same?

That's great but Clarko has no children in school after this year so that's a lame excuse if he doesn't choose us and chooses the kangaroos. He has met us 4 times but according to robbo in the hs tonight he is leaning to the kangaroos embarrassing really imo. Kids also need to suck it up as parents need to work and sometimes that means they have to move.

Not bad for children to learn sometimes life involves moving.

Anyway looks like we will be forced to go with an l plate coach worrying times imo.

I did not know that about the Kids haha

Caro saying it’s very likely that Clarko will be at North next year.
At this stage I’m hoping it’s Yze. Although I barely know anything about him!

From Mark Robinson at News Corp yesterday:

Speculation linking Hinkley to North Melbourne exists because if Clarkson says no to North, Hinkley would appear to be a ready-made candidate: Experienced, good with people, can lead a program.

But Hinkley would have to go back on his word to join North. He said on AFL360 on Monday he wants to coach Port next year. “We all get there’s a finish line for everyone at some point, but as I sit here tonight, I’m more than confident that that won’t be at the end of 2022.”

That leaves North Melbourne and the Giants in contention for Clarkson, as it has been for a month now.

As of Tuesday, neither club was confident or pessimistic about their chances, although conjecture about ambassadorial money being available to Clarkson has flung a fly into the ointment.

If you were a North official, you’d have to wonder if in fact it was a level playing field in the pursuit of Clarkson, or have the Giants the advantage of offering Clarkson a wink, wink nudge, nudge ambassadorial deal on top of his coaching contract money?

For what it’s worth, an answer from Clarkson is expected within 10 days.

From Jay Clark at News Corp today:

Melbourne great Todd Viney has emerged as a potential right-hand man for Alastair Clarkson at a new club next season.

Clarkson has been speaking to former lieutenants about their interest in joining him as part of a coaching panel at either North Melbourne or Greater Western Sydney next season.

Industry figures believe the Kangaroos are the front runner for Clarkson, and Adem Yze was the man to beat for the Giants’ job.

Clarkson is close mates and former teammates with Viney, who had been tipped to perform a Neil Balme-style role at the Kangaroos alongside Clarkson as a coaching director or cultural boss.

Clarkson recruited Viney to be an assistant coach at Hawthorn between 2005-2009, including the 2008 premiership and could rejoin forces at the rebuilding Kangaroos.

But it is unclear whether Viney has yet made a decision on his future.

Viney, who is a highly-respected figure in AFL circles, did not return News Corp’s calls on Tuesday about a return to football.

Viney has sat out of the game and worked on his rural property since leaving the Demons in 2019.

Football officials say he could play a key role helping support Clarkson and developing the culture and team ethos at the Kangaroos.

At Melbourne, Viney performed a variety of key off-field roles including in coaching, recruiting and strategy.

He captained Melbourne and is a team of the century member. Clarkson and Viney played at Melbourne in 1996-97.

St Kilda strategist David Rath, who played a key role in Hawthorn’s premiership dynasty in 2013-15, has also been linked to a move from St Kilda to Clarkson’s football department.

From Mark Robinson at News Corp yesterday:

Speculation linking Hinkley to North Melbourne exists because if Clarkson says no to North, Hinkley would appear to be a ready-made candidate: Experienced, good with people, can lead a program.

But Hinkley would have to go back on his word to join North. He said on AFL360 on Monday he wants to coach Port next year. “We all get there’s a finish line for everyone at some point, but as I sit here tonight, I’m more than confident that that won’t be at the end of 2022.”

That leaves North Melbourne and the Giants in contention for Clarkson, as it has been for a month now.

As of Tuesday, neither club was confident or pessimistic about their chances, although conjecture about ambassadorial money being available to Clarkson has flung a fly into the ointment.

If you were a North official, you’d have to wonder if in fact it was a level playing field in the pursuit of Clarkson, or have the Giants the advantage of offering Clarkson a wink, wink nudge, nudge ambassadorial deal on top of his coaching contract money?

For what it’s worth, an answer from Clarkson is expected within 10 days.

From Jay Clark at News Corp today:

Melbourne great Todd Viney has emerged as a potential right-hand man for Alastair Clarkson at a new club next season.

Clarkson has been speaking to former lieutenants about their interest in joining him as part of a coaching panel at either North Melbourne or Greater Western Sydney next season.

Industry figures believe the Kangaroos are the front runner for Clarkson, and Adem Yze was the man to beat for the Giants’ job.

Clarkson is close mates and former teammates with Viney, who had been tipped to perform a Neil Balme-style role at the Kangaroos alongside Clarkson as a coaching director or cultural boss.

Clarkson recruited Viney to be an assistant coach at Hawthorn between 2005-2009, including the 2008 premiership and could rejoin forces at the rebuilding Kangaroos.

But it is unclear whether Viney has yet made a decision on his future.

Viney, who is a highly-respected figure in AFL circles, did not return News Corp’s calls on Tuesday about a return to football.

Viney has sat out of the game and worked on his rural property since leaving the Demons in 2019.

Football officials say he could play a key role helping support Clarkson and developing the culture and team ethos at the Kangaroos.

At Melbourne, Viney performed a variety of key off-field roles including in coaching, recruiting and strategy.

He captained Melbourne and is a team of the century member. Clarkson and Viney played at Melbourne in 1996-97.

St Kilda strategist David Rath, who played a key role in Hawthorn’s premiership dynasty in 2013-15, has also been linked to a move from St Kilda to Clarkson’s football department.
They run through a bunch of the staff members that Clarko was talking to on footy classified and it was a pretty uninspiring list of assistants, sorta felt like he was brining the band back together of former assistants that aren't senior assistants or head coaches, would be great to have some fresher ideas.

Caro saying it’s very likely that Clarko will be at North next year.
At this stage I’m hoping it’s Yze. Although I barely know anything about him!
I've sort of gotten to the point where I've talked myself into Yze being the one i want the most ahaha, seems like he's really highly thought of and someone on the front footy of modern football

Last edited:
whats wrong with you lot, you have a coaching legend just waiting for a 3 year contract to be put in front of him and your sitting on your hands like he's not that legend. What am i missing here?

whats wrong with you lot, you have a coaching legend just waiting for a 3 year contract to be put in front of him and your sitting on your hands like he's not that legend. What am i missing here?
A lot obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back