Expansion Giants Debut First Western Suburbs Academy Graduate

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not seeing the evidence you do know enough in your posting, and have a natural inclination to skepticism when someone tells me how wonderfully knowleable they are. Strong contra indicator in my life experience

Microcriticise to your hearts content. My comments stand, and I know am far from alone in this thinking.

How many of those players came from Western Sydney? Or even the rest of Sydney? Or anywhere in NSW outside the Murray/Riverina/Broken Hill areas.

The notion that Western Sydney was NOT an AFL waste land prior to the GWS Academy is a complete and utter fallacy.

It's an AFL academy the same as any other AFL academy in the country.

There is nothing intrinsically special or different about the GWS or any other club being attached to them. Certainly nothing that allows for the free handouts the NSW and Qld clubs get from them.

3) There were no academy's for ANY Melbourne based clubs prior to 1998.

Given Victoria has, and have always had, the strongest junior competition(s) in the land, with excellent coaching and easily defined pathways to the top flight, it is fairly easy to argue that they don’t need academies.

There is a saying that those who have only ever known privilege, see equality as oppression - it’s a statement that can easily be directed at the VFL diehards who can’t see beyond the end of their noses.

How many of those players came from Western Sydney? Or even the rest of Sydney? Or anywhere in NSW outside the Murray/Riverina/Broken Hill areas.

The notion that Western Sydney was NOT an AFL waste land prior to the GWS Academy is a complete and utter fallacy.

I think he knows full well they overwhelmingly came from the riverina. The fact he made such a blatant disingenuous argument in the first instance suggests you shouldn't hold your breath that he'd admit it

The amount of footballers currently running around who learnt the game in non-traditional parts of NSW are probably greater than the number of retired players who did so in the previous 50 years...

Given Victoria has, and have always had, the strongest junior competition(s) in the land, with excellent coaching and easily defined pathways to the top flight, it is fairly easy to argue that they don’t need academies.

Name me a non father/son Victorian player that the GWS have been denied from drafting?

I can understand a generation of single pick academy players being granted for GWS and Gold Coast, every second year, but Brisbane and Sydney have already had a generation of father-son player opportunities come through and are in no way disadvantaged in comparison to the other state clubs.

There is a saying that those who have only ever known privilege, see equality as oppression - it’s a statement that can easily be directed at the VFL diehards who can’t see beyond the end of their noses.

It is a grossly skewed advantage designed for greater purposes than an equitable competition. It's all about supporting a business investment to the detriment of the non NSW and Qld clubs, which I assume is due to their purported greater financial resilience.

Last edited:
There’s no arguing with some people.

The sky is green the grass is blue, Black is white, up is down, there is no climate change and the VFL are being robbed by GWS developing players in NSW.

Name me a non father/son Victorian player that the GWS have been denied from drafting?
You are very selective in your arguments. Can you name any Victorian (or any) AFL club that was denied from drafting Tim Shipley?
... It is a grossly skewed advantage designed for greater purposes than an equitable competition. It's all about supporting a business investment to the detriment of the non NSW and Qld clubs, which I assume is due to their purported greater financial resilience.
So you don't think it has nothing to do with the grassroots development of the game in these traditional non football areas? Which is on the AFL charter to develop? Tom Shipley himself has openly said he would not be playing Australian Football today were it not for the academy -
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gw...s/news-story/b9016af78f30b5804caa64bc728a669c
..."Three years ago the kid from Campbelltown was dreaming of playing for the Socceroos and the AFL wasn’t even second in his sporting ambitions, that spot belonged to the NRL. “If the Giants Academy wasn’t there I wouldn’t be playing,” Shipley said.

“I’d never had any contact with the game before I was invited to join after a school clinic at Mount Carmel Catholic College. I never thought I would play footy at this level especially coming from Sydney’s west. It’s not a big footy area.

The thing is, despite Victoria having a greater junior competition, the Victorisn clubs do not have exclusive access to these players. Unlike GWS and Sydney, who do, with the top flight of NSW talent.

You are very selective in your arguments. Can you name any Victorian (or any) AFL club that was denied from drafting Tim Shipley?

Do you mean Nick Shipley?

On a level playing field, all of them.

So you don't think it has nothing to do with the grassroots development of the game in these traditional non football areas? Which is on the AFL charter to develop?

Correct.

Tom Shipley himself has openly said he would not be playing Australian Football today were it not for the academy -
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gw...s/news-story/b9016af78f30b5804caa64bc728a669c
..."Three years ago the kid from Campbelltown was dreaming of playing for the Socceroos and the AFL wasn’t even second in his sporting ambitions, that spot belonged to the NRL. “If the Giants Academy wasn’t there I wouldn’t be playing,” Shipley said.

“I’d never had any contact with the game before I was invited to join after a school clinic at Mount Carmel Catholic College. I never thought I would play footy at this level especially coming from Sydney’s west. It’s not a big footy area.

It's disingenuous for you to refer to a player spruiking about his own club.

The thing is, despite Victoria having a greater junior competition, the Victorisn clubs do not have exclusive access to these players. Unlike GWS and Sydney, who do, with the top flight of NSW talent.

Apparently they are employing cutting edge practices that are so different to what is being undertaken in Victoria that they are selectively entitled to these players.:rolleyes:

Apparently they are employing cutting edge practices that are so different to what is being undertaken in Victoria that they are selectively entitled to these players.:rolleyes:
This is absurd. It would be obvious to a dullard that the issues in NSW are very different.

This is absurd. It would be obvious to a dullard that the issues in NSW are very different.

You are attacking me personally, because logically you cannot undermine my arguments.

Your club is not compelled to draft a single player from NSW, so suggesting this is some type of burden that has to be overcome and accordingly rewarded, is yet another logical fallacy on your behalf.

You are attacking me personally, because logically you cannot undermine my arguments.

Your club is not compelled to draft a single player from NSW, so suggesting this is some type of burden that has to be overcome and accordingly rewarded, is yet another logical fallacy on your behalf.
You build nonsense on top of nonsense and then claim it equals substance. I'm still waiting for you to justify your life that the academy is AFL funded. If your denial is genuine then only the thought process in your mind when you made the statement can mitigate it. No one else can do it for you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You build nonsense on top of nonsense and then claim it equals substance. I'm still waiting for you to justify your life that the academy is AFL funded. If your denial is genuine then only the thought process in your mind when you made the statement can mitigate it. No one else can do it for you

Look, I am happy to conclude that the GWS academy is entirely GWS funded, the same as the entire TAC Cup is entirely Victorian funded, just to remove your micro-critical distraction from the table..

It still doesn't justify a goddamn thing!

You are clutching at the flimsiest of straws because you have nowhere else to go.

Which is why we have go home factor and 3rd party deals taking away kids we draft.

We are building up a junior base so that the Victorian clubs wont complain about bringing their players "home".

Let alone the advanatages that already exist for the Victorians.

Can only see WA and SA clubs being pissed and it actually being understandable.
The Victorians dont have a leg to stand on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I support a Victorian club, and really I don’t give a s**t about any supposed advantages the northern sides allegedly get. To fill the majority of their squads they have to get players away from their home states, they have to spend more resources scouting them, their facilities are generally inferior, and they are never far from treading the line between a dedicated supporter group and a disillusioned and dangerously thin average crowd. Their lack of competitive history in the game means no obligation on behalf of other states’ teams supporters to sympathise and without afl input, you can guarantee that there would have been At least one club die of the four.

So giving them access to the cream of what is a very small crop seems like a very small price for the other 14 clubs to pay.

Embarrassing post above. Don't know what it is that compels miserable mouthbreathers like that to jump in on any positive news.

Great to see him break through for a game so soon, only saw bits and pieces of the game but doesn't look out of place in the snippets he was involved.

Embarrassing post above. Don't know what it is that compels miserable mouthbreathers like that to jump in on any positive news.

Great to see him break through for a game so soon, only saw bits and pieces of the game but doesn't look out of place in the snippets he was involved.

Go easy on him....he's just here to "smell the fear". Fear smells quell the pain apparently

Ok debut.

Didn't do anything that screamed pick me for next week but don't expect too many returns from injury so might retain his spot for Geelong.

I support a Victorian club, and really I don’t give a s**t about any supposed advantages the northern sides allegedly get. To fill the majority of their squads they have to get players away from their home states, they have to spend more resources scouting them, their facilities are generally inferior, and they are never far from treading the line between a dedicated supporter group and a disillusioned and dangerously thin average crowd. Their lack of competitive history in the game means no obligation on behalf of other states’ teams supporters to sympathise and without afl input, you can guarantee that there would have been At least one club die of the four.

So giving them access to the cream of what is a very small crop seems like a very small price for the other 14 clubs to pay.
You support a powerhouse with recent success over a decade of dominance and your club didn't have a 7 year 11,000,000.00 offer rejected by a rising star of the competition, or a 9 year $12,000,000 offer rejected by the best player in the competition.

Now imagine you go for North and think why the northern states teams' are the devil.

You support a powerhouse with recent success over a decade of dominance and your club didn't have a 7 year 11,000,000.00 offer rejected by a rising star of the competition, or a 9 year $12,000,000 offer rejected by the best player in the competition.

Now imagine you go for North and think why the northern states teams' are the devil.

Um, yeah. We weren’t always a powerhouse and financially we still aren’t. Or did you forget the 44 years that came before 2007. Or the best player in the competition leaving for one of the northern states for a million dollars a year.

Yeah sorry but sending coaches to teach my kid and his year 3 classmates about the game, which isn’t hard to do, is a damn sight more than what the swans managed to do. It isn’t hard and it grows the game. I don’t give a f*** about the motive behind it, if they’re doing it, I’m impressed.

It's always confusing hearing people complain about this. The Swans are an AFL Football Club and their purpose (like every other club) is to try and win games in the AFL. I don't know why there's this expectation that it was on them to commit the resources necessary (at the expense of committing them towards winning games of AFL Football) to trying to grow the game in a city of 4 million people and 12,000km².

Like, every other club just gets to focus on winning games of footy but the Swans (and at the time the Lions) also have to worry about grassroots footy and youth development and all that?

It's crazy, it's the AFLs responsibility and they didn't take it seriously until about a decade ago. And then with the Academy they actually gave an incentive to putting money into it (the Swans Academy is entirely funded by the Swans).

Edit: Now reading the thread you wanted them to focus on the entire state? How? With what money and people?

It's always confusing hearing people complain about this. The Swans are an AFL Football Club and their purpose (like every other club) is to try and win games in the AFL. I don't know why there's this expectation that it was on them to commit the resources necessary (at the expense of committing them towards winning games of AFL Football) to trying to grow the game in a city of 4 million people and 12,000km².

Like, every other club just gets to focus on winning games of footy but the Swans (and at the time the Lions) also have to worry about grassroots footy and youth development and all that?

It's crazy, it's the AFLs responsibility and they didn't take it seriously until about a decade ago. And then with the Academy they actually gave an incentive to putting money into it (the Swans Academy is entirely funded by the Swans).

:cool: That's exactly the attitude that caused the problem in the first place. You club came very close to folding because it failed to sink roots into the Community. Surprised you defend it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back