Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
Read in the news this morning, we are looking at potentially playing a future game in the States, likely California. The Age reports it's still in early development but at this point, it appears to be a green light from all parties involved.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Look, I’m not a fan of losing a Sydney home game for this. But I am a fan of the concept.

As a franchise we need to be financially viable and a USA game would open up new revenue streams in an untapped market. I like the idea- we are a club that takes risks with this sort pf
Business stuff. I just don’t want to pet with one of my 8 games to do it

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
Look, I’m not a fan of losing a Sydney home game for this. But I am a fan of the concept.

As a franchise we need to be financially viable and a USA game would open up new revenue streams in an untapped market. I like the idea- we are a club that takes risks with this sort pf
Business stuff. I just don’t want to pet with one of my 8 games to do it
100% agree

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
If it’s an away game against a team that gives up one of its 15 games at the MCG then I’m all for it (though I think there’s more actual potential in India).

If it means giving up a Manuka game I’d be pi$$ed but could probably live with it.

If it means giving up a Sydney game then ABSOLUTELY NO F***ING WAY!

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
If it’s an away game against a team that gives up one of its 15 games at the MCG then I’m all for it (though I think there’s more actual potential in India).

If it means giving up a Manuka game I’d be pi$$ed but could probably live with it.

If it means giving up a Sydney game then ABSOLUTELY NO F***ING WAY!
We are currently drawing bigger crowds at Canberra and we are locked in contract for 3 per year at Canberra so we won't be losing it from there. Sydney are locked in for 7 and 1 game per year is currently free as a 'floater'

It would be a Sydney replacement sorry to say

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
no we don't
Well pulling up the stats of the last two games at each venue (only 2 in Canberra this year, so last two from each)

Giants stadium
7,581 vs Gold Coast
9,599 vs Carlton

Manuka
12,633 vs St. Kilda
11,377 vs Fremantle

So when I say we are currently drawing bigger crowds at Canberra, the stats don't lie

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Well pulling up the stats of the last two games at each venue (only 2 in Canberra this year)

Giants stadium
7,581 vs Gold Coast
9,599 vs Carlton

Manuka
12,633 vs St. Kilda
11,377 vs Fremantle

So when I say we are currently drawing bigger crowds at Canberra, the stats don't lie

Maybe use the whole year stats. 2018 had more at Giants stadium.

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
Maybe use the whole year stats. 2018 had more at Giants stadium.
Well like I said, I did last two because Canberra's only had two this year. And, I did say currently.

It's trivial anyway. But because Canberra is a locked in 3 game contract, it can't be a Canberra replaced game is all I'm saying. It would have to be Sydney lose one for a potential US game

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Well pulling up the stats of the last two games at each venue (only 2 in Canberra this year)

Giants stadium
7,581 vs Gold Coast
9,599 vs Carlton

Manuka
12,633 vs St. Kilda
11,377 vs Fremantle

Also at Giants Stadium this year
15,424 vs Essendon
12,697 vs Richmond

Depends on the opposition and the stats you choose to quote I suppose.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Adroyo its also interesting that you use the Gold Coast as a barometer of crowds to make your point.

vs Suns at Giants Stadium

vs Suns at Manuka
8,603 in our first ever game at the venue (curiosity factor)

Suns don’t draw. Full Stop.

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
Also at Giants Stadium this year
15,424 vs Essendon
12,697 vs Richmond

Depends on the opposition and the stats you choose to quote I suppose.
I'll repeat for a third time, I did say currently (that means recently. As in Canberra has only had two games this year FFS, so I counted last two from both)
But fine, let's count all games this year. But work out the average and you are still wrong. Giants stadium average 11,325 and Manuka average 11,935

Since inception, if we throw my meaning of currently out the window and want to go back to 2012 and count every game since, Sydney fairs better with 10,800 or so to 10,400 for Canberra in averages.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I'll repeat for a third time, I did say currently (that means recently. As in Canberra has only had two games this year FFS, so I counted last two from both)
But fine, let's count all games this year. But work out the average and you are still wrong. Giants stadium average 11,325 and Manuka average 11,935

Since inception, if we throw my meaning of currently out the window and want to go back to 2012 and count every game since, Sydney fairs better with 10,800 or so to 10,400 for Canberra in averages.

We haven't finished this year.

And with Pies, Swans and Dogs to come. Well it would take a catastrophic drop for the Sydney numbers not to go up.

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
We haven't finished this year.

And with Pies, Swans and Dogs to come. Well it would take a catastrophic drop for the Sydney numbers not to go up.
I hope they do man. And long term over the next few years, Sydney will crush Canberra in numbers considering Manuka is capped at 13,500.

My original comment just got disputed, even though the stats proved me right. I'm a numbers guy, it's my job.

I envisage if GWS continues to do well and powers well into finals this year, in the next decade we will rival swans for attendances.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I hope they do man. And long term over the next few years, Sydney will crush Canberra in numbers considering Manuka is capped at 13,500.

My original comment just got disputed, even though the stats proved me right. I'm a numbers guy, it's my job.

I envisage if GWS continues to do well and powers well into finals this year, in the next decade we will rival swans for attendances.

It's a hot discussion topic for many reasons.

Dropping more Sydney games is not the answer. Wether we have 1 extra game from the contract or not.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
it is an interesting concept but like others it may be too soon for the club to be selling off a home game for what is a money making venture when the clubs focus is on building support and finding success. Maybe in 3-4 years it could be an option but what I think could be better is a AFL x game played their and judge what the success would be
I think the interesting part is how it is being pushed by some wealthy American fans of the Giants but looking at the China game it is a TV and marketing thing

Back