News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The media team is playing it out all the way to the end ...

This is good to see. It's funny, imagine if we started on 2011 and gold coast in 2012, how different might the clubs fortunes be?
We will never know I guess. We might have Oliver and Petracca in our team now, but would not have had Jezza Toby, Cogs.

Last edited:

Four wins, zero losses – the GIANTS have never started a season like this.

For the first time since their 2012 debut, the GIANTS are sitting on top of the ladder and are one of just three clubs undefeated going into round five. Their prowess across all lines was on full display in their 28-point win over Gold Coast on Sunday.

With their eyes on a maiden premiership, Green says the GIANTS are keeping a lid on their red-hot start. "It (4-0) is a nice luxury to have at the minute, particularly contrasted to last year where we were, I suppose, getting things right but still losing games," Green said on Tuesday. "I don't think we had four wins until about round 12 ... but it is a really long season. We're only a month in and there's a lot of footy to be played between now and September. Something that 'Kingers' (coach Adam Kingsley) has been big on is that we're building for September. You don't want to be playing your best football a month into the season. You want to be peaking towards the back end of the year and going into September red-hot."

Kelly says the GIANTS are a long way from unleashing their full potential after falling short of playing a full four-quarter game to their standards against the Suns. "The goal is, as the season goes on, not having any lapses with that," Kelly said. "There's definitely areas that we're still working towards and not getting perfect for four quarters. On the weekend, Gold Coast were really impressive and we had to be at our absolute best, particularly in that last quarter, to get over the line. We've got to be able to take those swings in momentum and swing it back our way."

Four wins, zero losses – the GIANTS have never started a season like this.

For the first time since their 2012 debut, the GIANTS are sitting on top of the ladder and are one of just three clubs undefeated going into round five. Their prowess across all lines was on full display in their 28-point win over Gold Coast on Sunday.

With their eyes on a maiden premiership, Green says the GIANTS are keeping a lid on their red-hot start. "It (4-0) is a nice luxury to have at the minute, particularly contrasted to last year where we were, I suppose, getting things right but still losing games," Green said on Tuesday. "I don't think we had four wins until about round 12 ... but it is a really long season. We're only a month in and there's a lot of footy to be played between now and September. Something that 'Kingers' (coach Adam Kingsley) has been big on is that we're building for September. You don't want to be playing your best football a month into the season. You want to be peaking towards the back end of the year and going into September red-hot."

Kelly says the GIANTS are a long way from unleashing their full potential after falling short of playing a full four-quarter game to their standards against the Suns. "The goal is, as the season goes on, not having any lapses with that," Kelly said. "There's definitely areas that we're still working towards and not getting perfect for four quarters. On the weekend, Gold Coast were really impressive and we had to be at our absolute best, particularly in that last quarter, to get over the line. We've got to be able to take those swings in momentum and swing it back our way."
That's the perfect message.

For the first time since their 2012 debut, the GIANTS are sitting on top of the ladder
Wait, really? I would've sworn we were on top of the table at one point or another during the good years.

Wait, really? I would've sworn we were on top of the table at one point or another during the good years.
Indeed you are correct. First round 2019 was the latest time GWS was atop the ladder.

So, who wrote the article? Whether GWS staffer or AFL journo, you would think they'd check the facts.

P.S. Perhaps they were meaning "on top of the ladder and 4-0" is the first time.

How GWS forward Aaron Cadman aims to make rival defenders ‘dread playing on me’

No. 1 pick Aaron Cadman has dramatically improved on his first year, but the former No.1 pick tells SIMEON THOMAS-WILSON how he’s looking to take his game to another level.

Simeon Thomas-Wilson

12 April 2024

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Giants forward Aaron Cadman has vowed to be more physical, says he wants to be a “scary” proposition for his opponents and for defenders “to dread playing on me”.

The 2022 No. 1 draft pick is tracking well, with GWS coach Adam Kingsley saying there aren’t many key forwards who have contributed like the 20-year-old has in his second season at AFL level.

Just under a year since his Giants debut in the 2023 Gather Round, Cadman played the 16th game of his fledgling career in the 2024 edition against Gold Coast in Mt Barker on Sunday.

“I think the massive thing for me is building some confidence in myself and backing that I can play at this level,” Cadman said of how he had grown since his first year.

“Last year I didn’t really do exactly what I wanted, but this year I have slowly been building and I feel like I have found my place.”

The Darley product has become a consistent part of the unbeaten Giants’ forward line, along with Jesse Hogan and Jake Riccardi, especially with his ability to go into the ruck to support Kieren Briggs.

Cadman has already kicked more goals for the Giants in 2024 (eight goals) than he did in the entire 2023 season (six goals from 12 games).

“I need to keep on attacking (the ball). I want to be scary to play on, I want defenders to dread playing on me,” Cadman said.

“I just need to be a bit more physical, a bit more demanding. It is a bit hard coming in second year, but I need to keep putting on the weight and keep clunking them (marks).”

Kingsley said Cadman was progressing nicely.

“He has developed a lot; he did a few nice things forward. (He) rucks for us and joins in around the contest,” Kingsley said.

“He is a (young) key forward and for him to be performing at that level is really encouraging for us and certainly for him. There aren’t a lot of key forwards who come in and contribute like that at that age.

“(He needs to) continue to work. He needs to work on all facets of his game (but) I love the way he launches at the ball, that is a weapon of his.

“I think that will be the trademark of his career.”

How GWS forward Aaron Cadman aims to make rival defenders ‘dread playing on me’

No. 1 pick Aaron Cadman has dramatically improved on his first year, but the former No.1 pick tells SIMEON THOMAS-WILSON how he’s looking to take his game to another level.

Simeon Thomas-Wilson

12 April 2024

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Giants forward Aaron Cadman has vowed to be more physical, says he wants to be a “scary” proposition for his opponents and for defenders “to dread playing on me”.

The 2022 No. 1 draft pick is tracking well, with GWS coach Adam Kingsley saying there aren’t many key forwards who have contributed like the 20-year-old has in his second season at AFL level.

Just under a year since his Giants debut in the 2023 Gather Round, Cadman played the 16th game of his fledgling career in the 2024 edition against Gold Coast in Mt Barker on Sunday.

“I think the massive thing for me is building some confidence in myself and backing that I can play at this level,” Cadman said of how he had grown since his first year.

“Last year I didn’t really do exactly what I wanted, but this year I have slowly been building and I feel like I have found my place.”

The Darley product has become a consistent part of the unbeaten Giants’ forward line, along with Jesse Hogan and Jake Riccardi, especially with his ability to go into the ruck to support Kieren Briggs.

Cadman has already kicked more goals for the Giants in 2024 (eight goals) than he did in the entire 2023 season (six goals from 12 games).

“I need to keep on attacking (the ball). I want to be scary to play on, I want defenders to dread playing on me,” Cadman said.

“I just need to be a bit more physical, a bit more demanding. It is a bit hard coming in second year, but I need to keep putting on the weight and keep clunking them (marks).”

Kingsley said Cadman was progressing nicely.

“He has developed a lot; he did a few nice things forward. (He) rucks for us and joins in around the contest,” Kingsley said.

“He is a (young) key forward and for him to be performing at that level is really encouraging for us and certainly for him. There aren’t a lot of key forwards who come in and contribute like that at that age.

“(He needs to) continue to work. He needs to work on all facets of his game (but) I love the way he launches at the ball, that is a weapon of his.

“I think that will be the trademark of his career.”
Does feel like he is launching himself at the footy way more this year, translating to more marks but also just more contests in the air to bring it to ground as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bit of a "wow" moment!

GWS Giants captain Toby Greene has revealed he used to play through concussions, hiding his symptoms from club medical staff in order to stay available for matches. The skipper’s candid comments come after star teammate Sam Taylor suffered a brutal concussion against St Kilda last Saturday in Canberra, and following Collingwood premiership defender Nathan Murphy’s forced retirement on Tuesday. While Taylor has been cleared of any serious injury after undergoing assessments at Canberra Hospital, he currently has no timeline for return.

In a surprising revelation on Tuesday evening, Greene revealed to Fox Footy’s AFL 360 that, in the past, he would choose not to disclose his concussion symptoms to GWS’ doctors. The 30-year-old was asked point-blank by Herald Sun journalist Mark Robinson if he chose not to report concussion to the Giants. “Yeah, yeah of course,” Greene declared. When Robinson asked whether it happened more or less than five times, Greene said: “Less than five (times), less than five.”

The star forward was also quizzed on whether he thought disregarding concussion was commonplace among AFL players. "No, I wouldn’t say ‘common’,” Greene responded. “Certainly, in my early years (I had) a lot more disregard for (concussion) than I do now, but I wouldn’t say it’s common practice, no.” Greene also said he hasn’t altered his approach to the contest since concussion concern became more prevalent across the AFL landscape.

This is a bit of a "wow" moment!

GWS Giants captain Toby Greene has revealed he used to play through concussions, hiding his symptoms from club medical staff in order to stay available for matches. The skipper’s candid comments come after star teammate Sam Taylor suffered a brutal concussion against St Kilda last Saturday in Canberra, and following Collingwood premiership defender Nathan Murphy’s forced retirement on Tuesday. While Taylor has been cleared of any serious injury after undergoing assessments at Canberra Hospital, he currently has no timeline for return.

In a surprising revelation on Tuesday evening, Greene revealed to Fox Footy’s AFL 360 that, in the past, he would choose not to disclose his concussion symptoms to GWS’ doctors. The 30-year-old was asked point-blank by Herald Sun journalist Mark Robinson if he chose not to report concussion to the Giants. “Yeah, yeah of course,” Greene declared. When Robinson asked whether it happened more or less than five times, Greene said: “Less than five (times), less than five.”

The star forward was also quizzed on whether he thought disregarding concussion was commonplace among AFL players. "No, I wouldn’t say ‘common’,” Greene responded. “Certainly, in my early years (I had) a lot more disregard for (concussion) than I do now, but I wouldn’t say it’s common practice, no.” Greene also said he hasn’t altered his approach to the contest since concussion concern became more prevalent across the AFL landscape.
Hopeful the skipper has no long lasting issues.

Players if you guys and girls read this for the love of whatever god there is don’t ignore it.
Your fans won’t mind at all and prefer you healthy.

Giants embrace Kingsley's 'play your role' philosophy​

Ask Greater Western Sydney defenders what success looks like, and they'll tell you it's playing their roles. For the first time in club history, the Giants have opened their season undefeated and are on top of the AFL table, buoyed by powerhouse attacking talent in Jesse Hogan (18 goals), Toby Greene (nine) and Callum Brown (10).

But their five-match winning streak came close to snapping when St Kilda gave Adam Kingsley's men a late-game scare, kicking six goals to almost turn around a 35-point deficit. It was the backline that secured their one-point victory, with utility James Peatling taking a clutch intercept mark in the dying seconds. Their backline was without Sam Taylor, after the All-Australian defender was taken to hospital following a sickening head injury in the first term, but it changed little for the well-drilled players.

Medium defender Harry Perryman says everything comes back to playing their roles. "My role is to defend and beat my man. Pretty simple," Perryman told AAP. For Lachie Whitfield, his role is "to play high and try to attack", and for Connor Idun, who plays on the small to medium forwards, it's to "lock them down first and foremost". Perryman knows the mantra is as cliche as it can get, neither sexy nor interesting, but he believes Kingsley's "play your role" philosophy has been a revelation for the playing group. "We've certainly been improving, that's for sure," he said. Kingers is big on that - we've never reached our potential, so we just keep striving for that. (Our potential) is just everyone playing their roles at 100 per cent. If everyone's playing their roles individually within our system and game plan, who knows what can happen? We obviously want to strive to finish top four, but who knows from there."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back