News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The club is lacking that figurehead post sheedy. If you want someone that will defend the club, promote the club any time he has his face on tv (which is always), he would be good. He also has contacts within 9, which has the Sydney papers and radio, news ltd, politicians, celebrities etc.

I think he would have learnt from his past mistakes and would put the club back on the map.

I understand he isn't everybody's cup of tea, but just an idea with the suggestion of Bartel as someone that will publically defend the club (which I agree), but unfortunately he'd have no cut through in the Sydney media like a McGuire would have.
Eddie isn't just "not everyone's cup of tea" he's a racist and was openly an antagonist of Adam Goodes during his awful treatment that chased him out of the game, Collingwoods Do Better Report was an investigation into the racist culture and acts right under his watch, there is no place for him in our game.

Oh look here’s a taste of Eddie.
Besides the common sense notion of why isn’t there any footy in Sydney this weekend he reckons “our mob” should change our name to the NSW Giants.

computer rage GIF

Eddie McGuire would certainly give the giants some profile if he replaced Sheppard. He also lived in Sydney so knows the market, plus has just about more connections than anyone in Australia. Is good mates with Bartel they do a podcast together.Yes he can be insufferable at times, but he built the pies into a behemoth they are now and has massive cut through in the Sydney media.

I was speaking to the giants CEO this week and have a lot of info on what they are doing to engage new fans, I will share with the board once our conversations have finished. They are doing a bit more than I thought which is good and Matthews seems to be working hard behind the scenes.
Eddie is a racist and was the president of a club that had scandal after scandal in his tenure, he would be a terrible appointment, would be such a poor reflection of everything this club is trying to build
I agree with both of these statements, despite them being completely contradictory

Eddie McGuire would certainly give the giants some profile if he replaced Sheppard. He also lived in Sydney so knows the market, plus has just about more connections than anyone in Australia. Is good mates with Bartel they do a podcast together.Yes he can be insufferable at times, but he built the pies into a behemoth they are now and has massive cut through in the Sydney media.

I was speaking to the giants CEO this week and have a lot of info on what they are doing to engage new fans, I will share with the board once our conversations have finished. They are doing a bit more than I thought which is good and Matthews seems to be working hard behind the scenes.

Bjo has raised some sensible points. Like most up here I absolutely cannot stand Eddie, for what he’s said and done in the past.
BUT ….
we do need a powerful figure head who is bullish and can spruke and crack into the Sydney media.
When was the last time you saw an AFL story on channel nine news?? We get f’all media attention and someone needs to fix this

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bjo has raised some sensible points. Like most up here I absolutely cannot stand Eddie, for what he’s said and done in the past.
BUT ….
we do need a powerful figure head who is bullish and can spruke and crack into the Sydney media.
When was the last time you saw an AFL story on channel nine news?? We get f’all media attention and someone needs to fix this

No buts Eddie would be the end of us.

BUT ….

The points are fine but Eddie is poison. Find someone, anyone else that fits the description

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear ScoMo is looking for a new job? He's from Sydney, isn't he?
We're a bit too local for what I hear, not to mention definitely too western.

I listened to this. I am not terribly impressed.
He is basically whinging.
I don't think the bidding system is holding GWS back, or stopping players from choosing AFL.
We need to stop stuffing up our picks.
Some clubs didn't even have Cadman in their top 10. We wasted picks 12 and 15 this year.

I don't think the bidding system is holding GWS back, or stopping players from choosing AFL.
Some clubs didn't even have Cadman in their top 10. We wasted picks 12 and 15 this year.
Although I agree Cadman wasn't a number 1, I can see why the Giants wanted to get the deal done to move up to get him. He really wanted to come to us, the upside is possibly greater than any player in the draft. Be patient, He hasn't even done a full pre season yet and he was still growing as of last pre season. Cads is going to be amazing and the thing I like most is his attitude and personality.

Pick 12 and 15 like the kind of picks we took with Bruhn, Hately, Caldwell, etc? How'd they turn out for us?

Although I agree Cadman wasn't a number 1, I can see why the Giants wanted to get the deal done to move up to get him. He really wanted to come to us, the upside is possibly greater than any player in the draft. Be patient, He hasn't even done a full pre season yet and he was still growing as of last pre season. Cads is going to be amazing and the thing I like most is his attitude and personality.

Pick 12 and 15 like the kind of picks we took with Bruhn, Hately, Caldwell, etc? How'd they turn out for us?
I agree that those type of picks have been a problem, as we until last year where a pretty good team from 2015 to 2021 and those picks weren't quite good enough to make the team in their first 2 years, hence where keen to leave ( and of course a 20 year old pick 12 is very attractive to other clubs as they can offer alot more than a first year player as they are a 3rd year player).
I think AFL should have got involved.
Suggest to us , Gold Coast to swap pick 7 for 12,18 ( we wouldn't have traded in 15).
Gold coast can offer 18,25 to trade with Bowes, keep 12 for themselves.
We have 3,7. Take Cadman at 3, Phillipou at 7.

I'm not sure what you would have done but if we'd taken Sheezel or Wardlaw they would be gone at the end of next year. Would that help? No.

We took Cadman who was the right position and I reckon looks really good at 18 playing games in the AFL. Also seems like a good guy who will stay the course unlike those other guys.
You gotta give something to get something. I liked the move.

Cadman was 100% in everyone's top 10.

I'm not sure what you would have done but if we'd taken Sheezel or Wardlaw they would be gone at the end of next year. Would that help? No.

We took Cadman who was the right position and I reckon looks really good at 18 playing games in the AFL. Also seems like a good guy who will stay the course unlike those other guys.
You gotta give something to get something. I liked the move.

Cadman was 100% in everyone's top 10.
Exactly this …. My suspicion that sydney_gws is SOS almost confirmed

Exactly this …. My suspicion that sydney_gws is SOS almost confirmed
Apolgies then. I am not SOS. I just think that trading up is not the best way to go as you have to pay a" tax" of about 20% points wise to do so . The best results are from trading into the future, where you get rewarded for accepting a player one year later, sometimes well very rewarded as we did with Callaghan and probably will as well with the Pick for Hopper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back