News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

What a muppet. Obviously a Swans fan gutted that they arent Sydneys team anymore and probably never where.

A fool

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
A Swans fan would know how many teams there are. I think it's basically a rugby league troll.

A Swans fan would know how many teams there are. I think it's basically a rugby league troll.

No. A rugby league troll would know that Melbourne was not a 21st century club (premiers in 1999) and would point to the failed expansion clubs of Western Reds and Adelaide Rams.

I think he sat next to Roy Masters at lunch and got the idea from him.

But goes to show the value of good subs. Basic error in the number of teams would not have been printed.

Nice write up
A strange thing happened to Toby Greene this week. He was at a cafe waiting for his coffee when several customers stopped briefly to wish him good luck against the Swans this weekend. There are three things one can read into this: they knew Greene was a Greater Western Sydney footballer, there was an upcoming Sydney derby, though they got the timing wrong. Two out of three ain't bad.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...-minds-of-western-sydney-20160902-gr7c9a.html

Yeah I posted similar to this on the main board

I dont think he's dumb, and cant accept he didn't know what he was doing.
I think he was defending us in a subtle way.
A new club into the finals inevitable means the press have to feed on something. As for the Lachie story it can be damaging.
I reckon he's thrown a bone to distract them. This story really doesn't hurt anyone at the club.
Crazy like a fox in my opinion.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/1a08a3412cc445ab306868c4231d60b5
Sydney Swans, GWS Giants take vastly different paths to historic derby final

Richard Hinds, The Daily Telegraph
September 8, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only

FOR the Sydney Swans and the Greater Western Sydney Giants the stakes will be the same but the approach taken ahead of the first Sydney derby final has been predictably different.

The Giants are desperate to win and, on the back of their 42-point victory over the Swans in June, quietly confident they can. But the infant franchise is also acutely aware of the enormous promotional opportunity the historic occasion presents.

ULTIMATE GUIDE: SWANS v GIANTS IN HISTORIC DERBY FINAL

HARBOUR CITY: SWANS, GIANTS SHOW NO SIGNS OF SLOWING DOWN

So while the other finalists put up the shutters, sent assistant coaches or injured players to media conferences and guarded against real and imagined distractions, the Giants kept the club door opened during an exhaustive – and potentially exhausting – two week lead up.

One major element of the Giants’ new-found September exposure was not planned. The controversy surrounding allegations young star Lachie Whitfield had been concealed from a potential drug test by two former club officials was not the kind of publicity the club wanted.

Callan Ward, Leon Cameron, John Longmire and Jarrad McVeigh with the premiership cup in front of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Picture: Gregg Porteous
But if that proved there is such a thing as a bad headline, the Giants believe their media/fan policy of “saying yes to everything and working back from there’’ has brought big benefits, including increased exposure, merchandise sales and ticket sales.

The publicly relaxed atmosphere at the Giants is partly a consequence of the relative lack of pressure on a club entering its first finals series. Although coach Leon Cameron would never allow his players to think this way, these finals are something of a free hit for GWS.

Of course the Giants want to go deep into September and premiership players Steven Johnson, Heath Shaw and Shane Mumford will be telling their young teammates to seize the chance because it might not come again.

Yet in this case that old mantra seems barely believable. Such is the depth of the Giants’ talent this is almost certainly merely the beginning of several years of September action.

0:00
/
0:14

Swans will show no mercy
For the Swans the feeling is very different. Even as they ignore the bookmakers who have them warm premiership favourites, the internal expectations are high. Understandably the Swans are as determined as ever to maintain a business as usual approach — as much as you can in the September spotlight.

Since the inception of the widely respected but self-consciously insular “Bloods’’ culture in the early 2000s, the Swans have been expert at shielding themselves from external hype.

When this meant players became reluctant to engage with the media, or mumbled clichés when they did, the Swans easily justified the closed door policy with the incredible results they achieved — chiefly the 2005 premiership and a narrow loss in the 2006 grand final.

The Swans have been much more accessible in recent seasons and Lance Franklin’s recruitment created something of a media circus. But process-driven coach John Longmire and his experienced leaders retain the Bloods’ ability to politely keep the world at a comfortable — non-distracting — distance.

Josh Kelly and Shane Mumford tackle Luke Parker. Picture: Phil Hillyard
In that regard, this September the Swans have been the victims of their own success. The finals bye meant the training program of the five Swans who made the All-Australian team was not greatly disrupted. But having young star Callum Mills fly to Melbourne to receive the Rising Star Award while the Swans conducted an important session at ANZ Stadium was not ideal.

But, even with a younger, regenerated team, you suspect the lessons of 2014 when the Swans entered the grand final as favourites and were ambushed by Hawthorn will prove particularly valuable in this campaign.

As ever, the Swans will try to fly under the radar in September while the Giants strive desperately to get on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/1a08a3412cc445ab306868c4231d60b5
Sydney Swans, GWS Giants take vastly different paths to historic derby final

Richard Hinds, The Daily Telegraph
September 8, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only

FOR the Sydney Swans and the Greater Western Sydney Giants the stakes will be the same but the approach taken ahead of the first Sydney derby final has been predictably different.

The Giants are desperate to win and, on the back of their 42-point victory over the Swans in June, quietly confident they can. But the infant franchise is also acutely aware of the enormous promotional opportunity the historic occasion presents.

ULTIMATE GUIDE: SWANS v GIANTS IN HISTORIC DERBY FINAL

HARBOUR CITY: SWANS, GIANTS SHOW NO SIGNS OF SLOWING DOWN

So while the other finalists put up the shutters, sent assistant coaches or injured players to media conferences and guarded against real and imagined distractions, the Giants kept the club door opened during an exhaustive – and potentially exhausting – two week lead up.

One major element of the Giants’ new-found September exposure was not planned. The controversy surrounding allegations young star Lachie Whitfield had been concealed from a potential drug test by two former club officials was not the kind of publicity the club wanted.

Callan Ward, Leon Cameron, John Longmire and Jarrad McVeigh with the premiership cup in front of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Picture: Gregg Porteous
But if that proved there is such a thing as a bad headline, the Giants believe their media/fan policy of “saying yes to everything and working back from there’’ has brought big benefits, including increased exposure, merchandise sales and ticket sales.

The publicly relaxed atmosphere at the Giants is partly a consequence of the relative lack of pressure on a club entering its first finals series. Although coach Leon Cameron would never allow his players to think this way, these finals are something of a free hit for GWS.

Of course the Giants want to go deep into September and premiership players Steven Johnson, Heath Shaw and Shane Mumford will be telling their young teammates to seize the chance because it might not come again.

Yet in this case that old mantra seems barely believable. Such is the depth of the Giants’ talent this is almost certainly merely the beginning of several years of September action.

0:00
/
0:14

Swans will show no mercy
For the Swans the feeling is very different. Even as they ignore the bookmakers who have them warm premiership favourites, the internal expectations are high. Understandably the Swans are as determined as ever to maintain a business as usual approach — as much as you can in the September spotlight.

Since the inception of the widely respected but self-consciously insular “Bloods’’ culture in the early 2000s, the Swans have been expert at shielding themselves from external hype.

When this meant players became reluctant to engage with the media, or mumbled clichés when they did, the Swans easily justified the closed door policy with the incredible results they achieved — chiefly the 2005 premiership and a narrow loss in the 2006 grand final.

The Swans have been much more accessible in recent seasons and Lance Franklin’s recruitment created something of a media circus. But process-driven coach John Longmire and his experienced leaders retain the Bloods’ ability to politely keep the world at a comfortable — non-distracting — distance.

Josh Kelly and Shane Mumford tackle Luke Parker. Picture: Phil Hillyard
In that regard, this September the Swans have been the victims of their own success. The finals bye meant the training program of the five Swans who made the All-Australian team was not greatly disrupted. But having young star Callum Mills fly to Melbourne to receive the Rising Star Award while the Swans conducted an important session at ANZ Stadium was not ideal.

But, even with a younger, regenerated team, you suspect the lessons of 2014 when the Swans entered the grand final as favourites and were ambushed by Hawthorn will prove particularly valuable in this campaign.

As ever, the Swans will try to fly under the radar in September while the Giants strive desperately to get on it.

Tks
I'm paywall blocked and wouldn't have seen it otherwise

Nice when you get warned. I stupidly bumped a 16 yo thread by accident a few weeks ago and got one.

Nuh it happended. no points or anything just a terse
note saying 16 yo threads dont need to be bumped.
Guess BF was new then

Great article on Stevie J, with some insights into the club & Leon Cameron ...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...hnsons-giant-love-affair-20160908-grcdio.html

"Leon," said Steve Johnson to the Greater Western Sydney coach, "I just love footy and I don't want to give it up. I'm not ready.
"Give me one pre-season and I'll show you what I can do. By March I know you'll be happy with my work rate. You won't be sorry."

I am so over this PC bullshit, the headlines all read about Mummy challenging the 10 million dollar man about his holidays, the constant sledging by the swans players against Whitfield is a subtext.
Report the story morons, not the hysteria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back