News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't saying he wouldn't. Was just curiois about last year. I know he did in 2015.
I don't believe he did last year, to be frank though for me he rarely earned his spot in the team last year, he appeared to be hampered severely by injury most of the year so I'm inclined to not put any real read on 2016 for him.

I don't believe he did last year, to be frank though for me he rarely earned his spot in the team last year, he appeared to be hampered severely by injury most of the year so I'm inclined to not put any real read on 2016 for him.
Agreed
Leon seems loyal to him and it's his call. I wonder if he'll give way to Hopper at some point. With no spot for Bunts I was just a bit surprised at the thought he will get a back slot that's all.
It may well be even the coaches dont know at this point

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed I think Corr definitely had the inside running for that spit but his injury has changed the plan.
I sèe it as between Corr and Bunts. I still think there was something amiss with Bunts second half of last year. He's in our leadership group and has to be an attractive optionwith his ability to play short and tall in a zone defense, surely. Corrs interview does suggest he sees himself after Patful's role but I guess that's obvious.
o_OFollow that path in my head and I have Wilson playing NEAFL and that's just wrong.
With an eye to round one it will be interesting to see how Leon sets up our back 6 in the preseason.One thing to remember is the Crows have the potential to play 4 quality tall forwards who apart from maybe Jenkins can mark as well as being being aerobically good.So Davis for Jenkins, Tomlinson for Lynch who can play a high forward role, Haynes for McGovern and Corr for Walker.Shaw,Williams and Wilson and maybe even Griffen can take the smalls.For me Corr suits the Crows structure a little better than Bunts.

With an eye to round one it will be interesting to see how Leon sets up our back 6 in the preseason.One thing to remember is the Crows have the potential to play 4 quality tall forwards who apart from maybe Jenkins can mark as well as being being aerobically good.So Davis for Jenkins, Tomlinson for Lynch who can play a high forward role, Haynes for McGovern and Corr for Walker.Shaw,Williams and Wilson and maybe even Griffen can take the smalls.For me Corr suits the Crows structure a little better than Bunts.
I get where your coming from. I actually rate Jenkins their second best tall forward by a fair margin. He cops flack on BF becuase he's smart enough to take easy goals when they're on offer in my view.
The risk with us playing 4 talls is Betts would have ball with all the grounded balls from contests. Bunts would be more useful at ground level and can play tall. I doubt we would play 3 talls and Bunts and am pretty confident we wouldn't play 4 talls.
But who knows, I think it's a critical game and will attend, partly necuase I have connections in SA and can get other things done while I'm there.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out but I think we will definitely go in with at least 3talls in defence.Haynes can play tall/small,Tomlinson provides flexibility and Corr has good closing speed so it would work.Davis obviously takes Jenkins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/58e1fff1d3aa062bb648972a396e7aef

GWS Giants set to keep its controversial academy zones despite rival unrest

PREMIERSHIP favourites Greater Western Sydney looks set to retain its much-talked about Riverina and Albury academies, with the AFL Commission to sign off on the contentious issue soon.

There had been speculation last year that the Giants could lose portions of the zone, including Albury and the Murray River reaches, but that looks increasingly unlikely now.

The Herald Sun revealed in November that a push from rival clubs to limit the Giants’ recruiting area was likely to fail and the Giants, who reached the preliminary final last year, have been arguing heavily for the retention of the zones in recent months.

The AFL Commission could address the matter at its scheduled meeting next Thursday, as part of a plan to revamp the overall draft pick system involving academy players.

Key forward Jarrod Brander, from Wentworth, in southern New Wales, is tipped to be one of the contenders for the No.1 draft pick this year but his status is contentious with his family also owning a house in Mildura - outside the Giants’ zone.

Last year’s No.5 draft pick Will Setterfield was raised in Albury and was secured through the academy despite playing for Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup last year.

In context we would've lost access to Perryman but still had setterfield and likely would've had mutch/macreadie with the points gained from perryman

Not necessarily, I am assuming we could still just use a pick to select an academy player the same as anyone else, only the match bid/point process would be limited.

I suppose that will need to be clarified as to whether it means a Club can only match x number of bids but can select as many as they like with draft picks. It should also, technically, be listed as first round rather than top 20, because a first round could go beyond 20 with priority picks and Academy selections.

It's might be problematic for us this draft as we have the point penalty for the Lachie Whitfield debacle wiping out our likely first round pick anyway.

And another thing, if a kid was selected in the Academy development squad when he's 13 and he doesn't leave home to go to Boarding School until he's 15 or 16, why can't we put our hand up for him? Particularly if he still gets support during holidays etc. The Academy probably contributed to his development as well as his school/TAC coaching.

I suppose that will need to be clarified as to whether it means a Club can only match x number of bids but can select as many as they like with draft picks. It should also, technically, be listed as first round rather than top 20, because a first round could go beyond 20 with priority picks and Academy selections.

It's might be problematic for us this draft as we have the point penalty for the Lachie Whitfield debacle wiping out our likely first round pick anyway.

And another thing, if a kid was selected in the Academy development squad when he's 13 and he doesn't leave home to go to Boarding School until he's 15 or 16, why can't we put our hand up for him? Particularly if he still gets support during holidays etc. The Academy probably contributed to his development as well as his school/TAC coaching.

Given the inevitable loss of a few of the more highly prized guys coming off contract this year we should be able to trade into the first round

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/6546c4a7b702c490de651f4194b1677c - Heath at his best :)

WE HEAR it every day at this time of year from 18 AFL clubs — every player is flying this pre-season. But one star player has let the secret out: he’d rather be home in bed.

Heath Shaw has a history of hilarious social media posts, previously sending tweets of the entire GWS team recast as Simpsons characters or heroes and villains from the Harry Potter universe.

Now he has discovered Airtasker.

The app allows anyone to post a job they need doing — from cleaning a house to walking a dog, designing a company logo or assembling Ikea furniture — with an asking price.

Shaw yesterday posted his own job on the site — for a pre-season training stand-in.

“I need somebody in reasonable physical condition to replace me at the GWS Giants for a full training day,” the post reads.

“The day will consist of some meetings, football skills training with extra running, weights and pilates.”

The dual All-Australian defender tweeted the job ad with the caption: “I want $100 but happy for this to be done for free #preseason #dayoffforheath #sleepin”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/4b3e489fbc66834cc1ac37b78f654ddf

A Sydney Swans v GWS Giants final could be played at ANZ Stadium, says AFL boss

4b3e489fbc66834cc1ac37b78f654ddf

NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph
February 11, 2017 8:44am
4b3e489fbc66834cc1ac37b78f654ddf

LIKE a recurring bad dream for Sydney Swans fans, ANZ Stadium won’t go away.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan told The Daily Telegraph the Olympic venue could be used should the two Sydney teams meet in the finals. The red and white faithful thought their 36-point loss to the Giants in last year’s qualifying final was the last time they would see the ground they love to hate. But with work reconfiguring ANZ Stadium into a rectangular venue not starting until 2019, there is an opportunity for the AFL to play finals matches there.

“The finals platform ANZ provides and the Sydney rivalry means we should be showcasing it to the widest possible audience,” McLachlan said. “The fact that there were more than 60,000 people there at the qualifying finals shows how much demand there is and if we played it at another venue we would have locked out a lot of people.” After the success of the qualifying final the AFL even sounded out ANZ Stadium management on the prospect of playing the first of this year’s Sydney derbies at the ground. But commitments to NRL matches prevented this from happening.

The one saving grace for the Swans is if they finish higher on the ladder than the Giants they will not be forced to play at ANZ Stadium for any finals against GWS and will play all of them at the SCG. The Swans have a 30-year deal with the SCG to play all their home-and-away matches and home finals there. Last year the Swans won the minor premiership (GWS finished fourth) but were obliged by AFL contractual obligations to play at ANZ despite not having played there for more than a year.

“The Swans-Giants final was one of the most significant moments in AFL history in Sydney,” Giants CEO David Matthews said. “If there was a chance to replicate that we’d absolutely welcome it, including the result.” With the continued success of the Swans and the dramatic improvement of the Giants, McLachlan sees a window of opportunity to continue the rapid development of the code in NSW and the ACT. “The rivalry is real and will drive a lot of interest,” McLachlan said. “We’ve got real momentum at the community level and the elite. Clearly the Giants are coming through after making a tough start but having such a great year last year. The Swans have been an amazing team for some time. With the launch of the AFLW the elite and community are firing. The Giants are 50 per cent ahead on memberships and are confident of going from 15,000 to 20,000 this year. The Swans are now one of the biggest sporting clubs in the country.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back