News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even looking looking for hype. I was looking for a good breakdown of the game.
I use the AFL website for that. Surprised if there wasn't something in the Sunday papers uf anyone still reads them.

Not a bad little story. Highlights the GWS club's professional training standards, Cal & Phil's leadership and general belief of the team members.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...s-not-fooled-talent-tag-afl-says-matt-de-boer

Late last week, Greater Western Sydney co-captains Callan Ward and Phil Davis called a players' only meeting. The Giants were headed to Perth to face West Coast, a side they had never beaten, without 11 players who could lay claim to a spot in their best 22. Tom Scully, Rory Lobb and Steve Johnson were all sidelined having played in the last-gasp win over Richmond. External noise was growing louder about the injury toll potentially reaching a tipping point. The young leaders wanted none of that seeping into the group's mindset.

Matt de Boer told ESPN it was a superb piece of leadership. "(They) were just fantastic about setting the agenda for the weekend," de Boer said after the Giants' ground-shaking win, coming from behind in the last quarter for the third week running. De Boer has made a career off the back of hunger and desire. He played 138 games at Fremantle off the rookie list and was part of the Dockers' leadership group under Ross Lyon and played in the 2013 Grand Final. But Fremantle's fall in fortunes last year saw the Dockers push for youth. De Boer, 27, played just four games. He dominated the WAFL, helping Peel Thunder to its first premiership, won the best and fairest and finished second in the Sandover Medal count (WAFL best and fairest) despite playing just 12 home and away games. He was thanked for his long service at Fremantle and delisted along with good friend Tendai Mzungu.

De Boer kept training in the hope of continuing his AFL career and got a call from the Giants while on holiday in Vietnam. He was taken with pick No.58 in the national draft. Mzungu was rookie drafted to the Giants not long after. There was a thought externally that their recruitment had been at least in part to drive training standards, as both men were renowned at Fremantle for their incredible fitness and work ethic. But de Boer said there was nothing to add on that front. "It was really just complement the great work that had been put in place over a great number of years and I guess to provide a different perspective on things and a bit of experience based off we were able to achieve in a different environment," he said.

He knows competition for spots will come when the Giants' lengthy injury list eventually dwindles. But he welcomes the challenge and believes that competition has meant the training standards have remained very high despite limited numbers on the track in recent weeks. "The boys that are out there are not taking short steps or anything," de Boer said. "They're still going full guns blazing. We know that competition for spots is still important and that will come in thick and fast soon enough. But there's still that competition there because of the way we are training and approaching each day."

The Giants' hunger appears insatiable. It's a frightening thought. The Giants have become something of a mythical beast. The myth is they are the AFL's hungry growing giant that is set trample on the opposition based purely on a never-ending depth of talent. De Boer, the former Docker, knows it's a misconception, having gone from an outsider looking in 12 months ago to a part of the Giants' squad. "The talent is an interesting external tag," de Boer said. "That's what I sort of witnessed as well coming in, all I witnessed were boys that were super competitive, super hungry to learn and grow. They're not fooled by the talent tag. Obviously there's plenty of literature that suggests the talent alone is not going to get it done. These boys certainly don't buy into that at all. They're hungry to learn and grow each day. It was all about steeling the boys for the game and not accepting an honourable loss in any way. (They emphasised) we were there to win and the team we went out there with was more than capable. Trust in the process and the system."

I use the AFL website for that. Surprised if there wasn't something in the Sunday papers uf anyone still reads them.

Whilst newspaper readership is going down there is still no excuse for lack of coverage.
A supposed "national" newspaper doesn't have any article on the GWS game.
Apparently being one game clear on the AFL ladder isn't newsworthy.

Whilst newspaper readership is going down there is still no excuse for lack of coverage.
A supposed "national" newspaper doesn't have any article on the GWS game.
Apparently being one game clear on the AFL ladder isn't newsworthy.
I struggled when trying took find a synopsis last night too.

Ended up with http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ma...adder-with-win-over-dons-20170603-gwjrfu.html and later http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m/news-story/dccdae80ad1a843fa78e79caf79cec8a but neither were listed under their sport sections.

Interesting start to Footy Classified last night. I've always liked Caroline Wilson, I think she's a straight shooter who doesn't buy into hype or bullshit. I like her even more in her defence of Leon in tesponse to claims he's been gifted success.
It's easy to overlook the achievment in the last few weeks in putting together a winning team that has relied on players deep in our list stepping up on the big stage. The players deserve much credit but so does Leon and the coaching staff. I expected us to drop games in the last few weeks and I think it was the logical outcome.

A SIDESTEP developed playing rugby league is helping rising star Zac Williams prosper at Greater Western Sydney.

In previous seasons, Williams has established himself as a dashing half-back flanker.

But with multiple injuries digging deep into the Giants midfield and forward stocks, 22-year-old Williams has found himself pressed into those areas in recent games.

He bagged a career-high three goals in last week's win over Essendon, adding 25 touches, seven tackles and six marks in a standout performance, which earned him selection in the AFL.com.au's team of the week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-08/the-secret-behind-zac-williams-special-sidestep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/ba1da57cc42682f6ecf014c38939e151

GWS star Lachie Whitfield says he should cop full blame for ban after attempting to evade drug testers
NEIL CORDY, The Daily Telegraph
June 16, 2017 8:00pm
Subscriber only
LACHIE Whitfield says the blame for his six-month ban for attempting to evade a drug test lies with him and not former GWS administrators Graeme Allan and Craig Lambert.

Allan and Lambert were handed one-year suspensions for their role in the affair which happened more than two years ago. The Giants were also slapped with a $100,000 fine and lost 1000 bidding points (the equivalent of pick 17) in the draft.

Whitfield returned to action five weeks ago in the Round 8 win over Collingwood at Spotless Stadium and has spoken for the first time about the long-running scandal which could have led to a ban as long as four years.

“At the end of the day I control what I do,” Whitfield said.

“I’m the one who got a six-month ban, I take responsibility. I know Gubby and Lambo have been in strife for what they did but I don’t blame them. They are very good people in the AFL community. They put the players first and that’s why so many have re-signed and I can’t speak highly enough of them.”

A lot more in the article, very mature response.

My sister is a newspaper editor and is dismayed at the offshoring and quality control that is going missing from news now.
The HUN are as guilty as anyone of using sub-editors with nil product knowledge, if not more.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/ad745b579dc2c4a465e29bce426c7b76

WHO IS YOUR CLUB’S QUARTERBACK?

Average metres gained per game in 2017 (general defenders only, minimum of five matches).

ADELAIDE: Brodie Smith 478m, Rory Laird 455m

BRISBANE LIONS: Tom Cutler (Bris) 442m, Daniel Rich (Bris) 421m

CARLTON: Sam Docherty 535m

FREMANTLE: Lachie Weller 428m

GEELONG” Zach Tuohy 485m

GWS GIANTS: Nathan Wilson 519m, Heath Shaw 499m, Michael Hibberd 526m

Should put to bed the talk of him going anywhere

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/d64db1959ea88a0149a80239c6bd0865

DESPITE his six month ban from footy when in the care of GWS staff Lachie Whitfield has given a strong indication he will stay in Sydney’s west beyond the term of his current contract which expires at the end of 2018.

All the focus has been Josh Kelly’s future but Whitfield’s pedigree is obvious, he is a No.1 draft pick (2012) and at 22 is about to hit his prime.

On the open market Whitfield would draw similar attention to Kelly from Melbourne clubs. But returning to the city he grew up in looks highly unlikely given his recent experience.

“We are building something here,” Whitfield told the Sunday Telegraph.

“I’ve got a lot of mates in Melbourne and they tell me the environment they’re living in each day. They go from being at the club to trying to live a quiet home life.

“We don’t have that hassle in Sydney. Our life is so simple and carefree. I wouldn’t know how to deal with it, I’m so happy with life in Sydney and so used to it. I wouldn’t know how to deal with it, Melbourne doesn’t interest me so much yet.

Whitfield hasn’t missed a beat in his return to football, he is averaging more than 27 disposals per game and has goaled in each of the Giants’ last three matches.”

Whitfield spoke for the first time about his six month ban for evading a drug test in May 2015. Former Giants football manager Graeme Allan and Welfare manager Craig Lambert were given 12 months suspensions for their part in the incident.

“I’ve learned to be independent and make my decisions for myself,” Whitfield said.

“I learned how to train away from the footy club. I’ve learned to trust your family and friends because they will always have your back.”

GWS currently sit in second spot on the ladder and are right in the hunt for their first flag.

I might go back one day when I’m 35-40 and done with footy.”

Well done Emma. love your work

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-06-19/collingullie-kids

On my boy Matt :)

It didn’t take them long to do that at senior level, either, playing alongside each other and their older brothers in the 2014-2015 premiership sides. Lenon would play Kennedy in the midfield, on a wing, even as a key forward if that was where the team needed him. “You could have played him anywhere and he would have done the job for you,” said the coach. “He loved the game, he was competitive, he had a will to win, all those type of things. Off the field he was very laidback and easy to get along with, but when it came to training and game day, when the whips were cracking and it was fair dinkum, it was all footy.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back