News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/ed5320da36683f1634948f7ecb64e801

GWS Giants are primed to break through for a maiden Grand Final

LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun

January 7, 2018 12:00pm

Subscriber only

GREATER Western Sydney has fallen at the penultimate hurdle for the last two seasons, but expect it to be right up there again.

After being plagued by injury and suspension in 2017, coach Leon Cameron will be welcoming back a number of key players he sorely missed last year.

Josh Kelly had a breakout season in 2017 and is ready to establish himself among the game’s elite midfielders while Toby Greene has been referred to as the Giants’ answer to Lance Franklin.

Here’s the eight reasons why 2018 could be bathed in orange.

RETURNING STARS

The Ferrari has been in the shop for a tune-up, and a raft of key players are set to return after a season plagued by injury. Adam Kennedy, Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Stephen Coniglio and Jacob Hopper are just a handful of Giants who were missing last season due to suspension or injury, with personnel supplies hit hard. They’ll be back with Leon Cameron no doubt eyeing some consistency in the team’s line-up.

BUILD CONTINUES

The last two years have borne two preliminary finals without a Grand Final berth. To say this side should contend yet again is an understatement, particularly if it gets a smooth run with injury and players stay on the right side of new match review official Michael Christian.

POTENT AS EVER

The Giants’ midfield is one of the best – if not No.1 – in the competition and had the numbers to prove it in 2017. Clearances? Top. Efficiency? Second. Number two for tackling, too. Leon Cameron has some of the best in the league weaving through the middle and when they’re able to play consistently together, will be scary for opposition sides.

THEY MAKE YOU PAY

It’s not just between the arcs that things can tick smoothly for the Giants. The supply inside 50 is among the competition’s best and once it’s in there, they can make opposition teams pay. Last season, the men in orange ranked third in the league for score differentials per inside 50, making scoreboard pressure a key element of their game.

THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT

The Giants might have lost more than 750 games of experience in the trade period and in post-season retirements, but those making the move to western Sydney can more than hold their own. Lachie Keeffe has AFL experience, having played 40 games for Collingwood, while Dylan Buckley brings 39 games from his days as a Blue. Zac Langdon – a mature-age recruit from the WAFL – has been flagged as a potential inclusion up forward.

SPECULATION-FREE ZONE

The will-he won’t-he talk that surrounded star midfielder Josh Kelly last season is over, with the young gun re-signing at the end of the season. It was a weight off the shoulders, he said at the time, and will be able to enjoy a year free of chatter he could be on the move. Toby Greene comes out of contract at the end of 2018 but can’t see him going anywhere.

LOBBING IN

Big man Rory Lobb has big shoes to fill but showed last year that he has exactly what it takes to step up to sole rucking duties. Shane Mumford’s retirement has left the door open for the tall to make the leap, having impressed with his work around the ground and marking ability last season. Will be working hard this pre-season to hone his tapwork.

TARANTO TIME

He was hampered by an ankle injury last season, but Tim Taranto will be looking to take the next step. There were positive signs in the first half of the season but he battled to hit his straps when he finally returned. Looks to be flying and could well eye more midfield time in 2018.

download.php

1 question though.

What about Tommos future at the Giants is unknown?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Did you forget he asked for a trade last trade season?

1 question though.

What about Tommos future at the Giants is unknown?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm not a mad SEN fan tbh and I have no idea who Luke Sicari is, I think half the Vic teams still live in hope that Tommo will request a transfer back to Melbouren, might be worth pointing them to Jonno's piece..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/016fe9577e561e4744479582a5ac1af7

THE numbers are in and it’s not pretty reading if you’re a Carlton fan. TAB has released its 2018 projected wins for all 18 AFL teams, with the leading bookmaker placing Carlton in a head to head battle for the wooden spoon with Gold Coast. The duo has been set an over/under win tally of 6.5. Both teams won six games last year but with Gary Ablett leaving the Suns and Bryce Gibbs farewelling the Blues, neither club is expected to climb the ladder. According to TAB, North Melbourne and Brisbane will again be in the bottom four, with their projections just one game higher at 7.5. Fremantle and interestingly St Kilda are the only other teams projected to win in single figures.

GWS GIANTS

TAB Over/Under: 13.5

Last year: 14

Gilbert Gardiner says: OVER

Will blast the minnows but showed to be vulnerable against genuine premiership rivals. The Giants have too much quality not to win 15+ games.

Liam Twomey says: OVER

Although they won a lot of close games last year, I’d rather be on the Giants than off them. They could easily hit 15 wins or more.

Interesting that TAB has us winning less games than last year, when we went through a rough patch on the back of significant injuries to a number of first grade players. If it's based on player losses at end of year, I'd view that neither Steve Johnson nor Dev Smith contributed a great deal to 2017 wins and Stevie J was clearly a negative in the team at times. Bam Bam was a solid contributer but should be replaced easily enough at that 'solid' level (except in the case of another massive injury toll). The only real question mark for me is how well the team deals with Lobb replacing Mummy as ruck (or if big Dawson needs to come in). A secondary question would be whether we can improve the F50 play. I'd expect - with a normal injury toll - that the team continues to develop and at minimum matches but should exceed 2017 wins.

).The only real question mark for me is how well the team deals with Lobb replacing Mummy as ruck (or if big Dawson needs to come in). A secondary question would be whether we can improve the F50 play. I'd expect - with a normal injury toll - that the team continues to develop and at minimum matches but should exceed 2017 wins.

I think, by some margin, it's an easier draw this year than last. No Crows away first off, no Cats away last off. I'm tipping 15 wins, undefeated at Manuka (3), maybe drop one at Spotless (7), and 5 away wins. Perfect would be 4 wins in MEL against Collingwood & Melbourne at G & Saints & Carlton at Docklands.

Kind of a "No s**t" article but comfirmation that the club is looking at the same areas we are I guess

Giants star Tom Scully wants teammates to improve two-way running
AAP
January 13, 2018 9:10am

HE’S the two-way running king of the AFL and Tom Scullysays his Greater Western Sydney side as a whole are striving to be recognised for that quality.
Brisbane Lions champion Jonathan Brown last year rated Scully the best two-way runner he’d seen.

Later in 2017 the Herald Sun revealed Scully averaged a league-best 16.6kms per game.

The Giants’ wingman and foundation player revealed his side as a whole had been concentrating on developing their defence and two-way running as they sought to improve on their preliminary final exits of the past two years. The GWS forwards were criticised in some quarters last year for not applying enough pressure on their opponents.

“We need to work extremely hard on defence to win the ball back, that’s a big focus for us to really be more consistent in that area,” Scully said.

More in the link below
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g/news-story/e53499fceaa288942cbf1a52c722ddc2

Dies anyone know what happened to the pre season show with Alison Zell that was on the giants website last year? I can't remember when it started last year but it was a good 5 minute piece to see what was happening at the club

Dies anyone know what happened to the pre season show with Alison Zell that was on the giants website last year? I can't remember when it started last year but it was a good 5 minute piece to see what was happening at the club
Yep it was a very good insight, I believe it started a few weeks before JLT?

She only came back to work yesterday (was on Twitter that she got hit in the head by a stray footy) so may not be too far away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back