News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/tom-scully-loud-crack-season-changed/

A reflective piece that Tom Scully did for the Players Voice website.
Thanks, great article
I dont know the website and would never have found it. To me it just reinforces my view to be careful how we regard injuries. I hate pissing contests with other clubs about who has the most. In cold terms the players are resources, but they're also people whose bodies get broken playing the great game, for our entertainment.

Wheately is one of few journalists I do take seriously. Leon cant say we're screwed so it's not good. The show must go on though, and it is early in the season. At worst more cold and depressing nights ahead this winter, such is life. It'll be worse for the guys going through rehab, as Scully's article makes clear.

A couple carrying injuries and playing with jabs

This is not surprising. Most clubs will have a couple like that week to week. None have the kind of outs we have though, and that's the worry. Cogs is one I feel is carrying something, along with the likes of Langdon (knee) and Haynes (cops a whack every game).

I don't subscribe to the thought that our window is closing just yet. 2019 always looked like the peak given how our list profile shaped up. This year looked good on paper until we hit the injury run again.

I've seen Haynes' social media posting a few things like icing his corked hamstring, which happened like what, 2 or 3 weeks ago?
Well, he copped a shocker in the buttock from Hawkins last game. That knee would have have hurt at the time, but how would have been the following day? One of my most hated aspects of playing footy...the corkie.

This is not surprising. Most clubs will have a couple like that week to week. None have the kind of outs we have though, and that's the worry. Cogs is one I feel is carrying something, along with the likes of Langdon (knee) and Haynes (cops a whack every game).

I don't subscribe to the thought that our window is closing just yet. 2019 always looked like the peak given how our list profile shaped up. This year looked good on paper until we hit the injury run again.
Hope you don't mind the intrusion but how many of your best 22 are out injured at the moment? If none of our injured guys are declared fit to play this weekend then 5 of our best 22 are out and if Nic Nats appeal fails then that will be 6. Have a feeling that your list is more than this? Injuries are bummers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you don't mind the intrusion but how many of your best 22 are out injured at the moment? If none of our injured guys are declared fit to play this weekend then 5 of our best 22 are out and if Nic Nats appeal fails then that will be 6. Have a feeling that your list is more than this? Injuries are bummers!

best 22
kelly
scully
greene
lobb
cameron [test]
deledio [test]
williams
kennedy

throw in
setterfield
buntine [neafl after acl]
tiziani

Not the most reliable website and I do remember some discussion previously that the club is one potentially being mentioned and it would be good to see a preseason game but not a H+A as an already challenging travel schedule in the first half of the season it would place extra issues for the club to deal with

4The Rivalry of the Raj is getting close
Port Adelaide and Gold Coast are off to Shanghai next week for the second annual China game, and we’re being told it’s a huge success and the expanded arena has been sold out already (‘expanded’ to a capacity of 11,500 – not really something to brag about in a city of 24 million).

This ‘success’ is seeing the League ramp up its efforts to get a game in India and you can be sure there will be AFL action on the sub-continent just two years away in 2020.

Richmond and GWS will hit the Hindu highlife, but there’s uncertainty as to whether it will be for premiership points or just a pre-season game.

Surprisingly it’s the AFL that’s trying to keep it on the slow burner, while the Tigers and Giants are pushing for a home-and-away match.

Both teams are keen to invest evenly in the takings and the potential audience, creating an ‘Indian rivalry’ that will hold its own interest for the locals at the expense of the other 16 clubs.

With 1.3 billion Indians to share there’s no need for either club to be greedy, something ‘Kochy’ could learn from.

Not the most reliable website and I do remember some discussion previously that the club is one potentially being mentioned and it would be good to see a preseason game but not a H+A as an already challenging travel schedule in the first half of the season it would place extra issues for the club to deal with

Port Adelaide and Gold Coast are off to Shanghai next week for the second annual China game, and we’re being told it’s a huge success and the expanded arena has been sold out already (‘expanded’ to a capacity of 11,500 – not really something to brag about in a city of 24 million).

This ‘success’ is seeing the League ramp up its efforts to get a game in India and you can be sure there will be AFL action on the sub-continent just two years away in 2020.

Richmond and GWS will hit the Hindu highlife, but there’s uncertainty as to whether it will be for premiership points or just a pre-season game.

Surprisingly it’s the AFL that’s trying to keep it on the slow burner, while the Tigers and Giants are pushing for a home-and-away match.

Both teams are keen to invest evenly in the takings and the potential audience, creating an ‘Indian rivalry’ that will hold its own interest for the locals at the expense of the other 16 clubs.

With 1.3 billion Indians to share there’s no need for either club to be greedy, something ‘Kochy’ could learn from.
With respect to our Capital brothers, we have lost enough games from Western Sydney.

Happy for an away game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The real issue I have with a game in India is us giving up a home game. We simply dont have one to spare. We're in a unique situation with 8 home games at Spotless and three in Canberra. The Vic clubs that give up home games get replacement "away" games involving their club at the usual venue. We do not.

If it's a Tigers home game I'm still not in favour unless it can be scheduled around a bye to minimse the disruption. I get it helps us to connect with our community with a large population of Indian descent in our zone, but I fundamentally dont get the benefits to the club or the game in playing overseas otherwise.

India is a really good idea. Massive population. Largely English speaking. Ovals that are shaped right and are big enough capacity wise. Wealthy middle class. No strong winter sports competition. Huge local ex-pat population in Western Sydney.

Natural / perfect fit for us.

But Richmond play 17 games in Melbourne. We play 9 in Sydney (8 at home). It HAS to be a Richmond home game.

India is a really good idea. Massive population. Largely English speaking. Ovals that are shaped right and are big enough capacity wise. Wealthy middle class. No strong winter sports competition. Huge local ex-pat population in Western Sydney.

But Richmond play 17 games in Melbourne. We play 9 in Sydney (8 at home). It HAS to be a Richmond home game.
If you think it's a good idea fair enough
Our members dont get game access to the SCG though. Hawthorn and North members still buy 11 game memberships in Melbourne.

Tend to agree, but esp with the bit that it's not one of our home games, unless ticketholders get 50% off Virgin flights or similar :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back