News Giants in the Media

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I've said before how much I like this publication, and again they write stuff that I like ... https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/06/23/underrated

The Mongrel's All-Underrated Team 2019

PHIL DAVIS - GWS

I was a little shocked to find that Davis has never been an All-Australian. The GWS captain is one of the best defenders of the last decade after moving from Adelaide at the conclusion of 2011. In one-on-one contests against the best big forwards in the land, Davis more than holds his own, giving Buddy Franklin a couple of baths in 2018.

NICK HAYNES - GWS

This is my guy. Flies under the radar, is rarely beaten, and can hurt both in the air and on the deck. I was against having him in this game because I rate him so highly that I didn’t think he could be underrated by others. Turns out the other Mongrels think he is criminally underrated. He is currently travelling at career-high numbers in disposals, rebounds and 1%ers. Maybe he will get some AA love by the end of this season?

JACOB HOPPER - GWS

Here’s the unsung midfield bull of the Giants. Kelly, Coniglio and Taranto get the headlines – Hopper gets the hardball. He has made the leap from 9.71 to 13.15 contested touches per game this season as he takes on more responsibility at stoppages. Does it surprise you that he leads the Giants in contested touches? It shouldn’t – he’s a bull, and at just 22, will get a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
We better not lose a Sydney game and I can't see our Canberra fans being supportive.

Trying to build the game in Western Sydney by sending a game to the yanks? FFS

Adroyo

Debutant
Nov 20, 2018
Snowy Mountains, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Mt. Buller Demons
We better not lose a Sydney game and I can't see our Canberra fans being supportive.

Trying to build the game in Western Sydney by sending a game to the yanks? FFS

As a Canberran, I'm all for a States game as long as we still get our 3 a year.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
The Age says it'll be Sydney game because that's the spare in our ground contracts:

Whereas Port Adelaide has had to find another club willing to give up a home game to host the Shanghai match (initially Gold Coast, now St Kilda), the Giants' contractual deal is for seven games at Giants Stadium and three in Canberra, leaving them the possibility of playing a home game elsewhere.

"In contractual terms, we've got a spare game," said Matthews.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The Age says it'll be Sydney game because that's the spare in our ground contracts:

Whereas Port Adelaide has had to find another club willing to give up a home game to host the Shanghai match (initially Gold Coast, now St Kilda), the Giants' contractual deal is for seven games at Giants Stadium and three in Canberra, leaving them the possibility of playing a home game elsewhere.

"In contractual terms, we've got a spare game," said Matthews.

So we fu** over western Sydney. Where we are trying to grow the sport and club?

Matthews and the board screwing up here if this is factual.

I know a few people out west who push the narrative that because we have home games in Canberra that they aren't committed to the region, now we are giving another 1 up to the Yanks?

Can remember asking why we don't have a Sky blue alt jersey, just for something different and was told we are growing the club and the region and so want to stick with the ideals of the club.

Next min sell out the region for a game in a country that is overloaded by sport on the otherside of the world. ffs.

Yes I'm 500% against this idea.

Callums_Guns

Premium Platinum
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Phila 76ers, Mt Buller Demons
So we **** over western Sydney. Where we are trying to grow the sport and club?

Matthews and the board screwing up here if this is factual.

I know a few people out west who push the narrative that because we have home games in Canberra that they aren't committed to the region, now we are giving another 1 up to the Yanks?

Can remember asking why we don't have a Sky blue alt jersey, just for something different and was told we are growing the club and the region and so want to stick with the ideals of the club.

Next min sell out the region for a game in a country that is overloaded by sport on the otherside of the world. ffs.

Yes I'm 500% against this idea.

I would be ok with this if...........

2020 looked like this ;

Rd.1 March 25th : Giants vs Lions USA
Rd.3 April 12th : 1pm Giants vs Gold Coast ACT
Rd.5 April 24th : Friday ANZAC EVE : Giants vs Swans 7:30pm Friday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Rd.7 May 9th : Saturday Night : Giants vs Geelong 7:20pm Saturday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Queens BDAY Weekend : Friday Night Giants vs Crows or Sunday 1pm ACT
Friday June 20th : Giants vs Pies 7:50pm Friday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Saturday July 4th : Giants vs Hawks : 4:30pm Twlight @ Giants Stadium
Sunday July 26th : 1pm Giants vs Dockers @ ACT
Saturday August 8th : Giants vs Essendon 7:20pm Saturday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Last round at GIANTS Stadium time TBC against the Bulldogs or North Melb.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I mean the contact is for 7 Sydney 3 Canberra anyway so there is 1 for a floater allowed as is.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are a Western Sydney club.

We are asking the people of Western Sydney to buy in, and they are slowly, on the back of only 8 games a season.

Now we want to try on 7?

This won't go down well.

Callums_Guns

Premium Platinum
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
We are a Western Sydney club.

We are asking the people of Western Sydney to buy in, and they are slowly, on the back of only 8 games a season.

Now we want to try on 7?

This won't go down well.
Give us the blockbusters we have now earned over the past 4 years in prime time and put 1 of the lesser club games over in LA, i would buy into that.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Give us the blockbusters we have now earned over the past 4 years in prime time and put 1 of the lesser club games over in LA, i would buy into that.
I wouldn't.

I will never ditch this club, but this is a stupid idea when we are nowhere near where we need to be in our own backyard support wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Callums_Guns

Premium Platinum
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I wouldn't.

I will never ditch this club, but this is a stupid idea when we are nowhere near where we need to be in our own backyard support wise.
Thats because we play lesser clubs at crazy times and scheduled wrong and further more not to have Pies, Hawks or Essendon last weekend when no games of NRL is another reason

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Top Bottom