Chrono

Senior List
Jun 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Carlton, Buffalo Bills
With the first pre-season for the Giants first season rapidly approaching, I'd thought it'd be interesting to see how the media, from all over, paint the lead up to the Giants first season.

Here is a few from the past couple of days.

GWS recruit Tim Mohr credits Brendan Fevola

"Fev was actually really, really good for my footy this year, he's a great teacher. He gave me the confidence to do things and pulled me aside and drill things into me," Mohr said.

"He’d tell me to use my pace and take the game on, so he was super for me. When you’ve got a bloke like him, who was an AFL star, telling me to use my pace and take the game on you sit up and listen to them."

And Mohr urged Kevin Sheedy to throw the dual Coleman medalist a lifeline, declaring him "fantastic to have around a footy club".

And then there is this on Stephen Clifton and a few other promoted rookies;
Former North Ballarat Rooster edges towards AFL debut

blaze036

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Fev for GWS COULD be very good (on and off field if he behaves) or very bad if not....

so do you roll the dice?

Scully2Folau

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Tom Scully wants to be a GWS Giant for the term of his footballing life

TOM Scully wants to be a Giant for the term of his football life .

Speaking exclusively to The Daily Telegraph, Scully said: "I know my future's here and I anticipate I'll be here for the rest of my career."

Already signed on for six million dollars over six years Scully added: "I think one move is enough.

"The move from Melbourne was difficult enough, hopefully I can have a long relationship with this club."

Scully's news is music to the ears of Giants coach Kevin Sheedy who sees the 20- year-old as a club leader.

"He's absolutely got leadership, he plays like it, he makes things happen," Sheedy said.

Fev for GWS COULD be very good (on and off field if he behaves) or very bad if not....

so do you roll the dice?

Please no. Already been through that media circus with one club.

The main problem with Fev is that it's reached a stage when everything gets blown out of proportion. IMO the main reason Fev was sacked from the Lions was for business reasons - the negative publicity far overwhelmed anything positive on the field. GWS would be in the same, if not trickier, position.

Chrono

Senior List
Jun 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Carlton, Buffalo Bills
I think after the crapstorm that has gone on with his move to GWS I can understand if Tom would be reluctant to go through the whole ordeal again.

Giants face biggest test on draft day, says Silvagni
While many pundits suggest Patton, Stephen Coniglio and Dom Tyson are all certainties to be taken by GWS, Silvagni says "nothing's set in concrete".

"Obviously, this is the time that we go over all the player interviews, also looking at their testing and still looking at vision that we cut up throughout the year.

"We're continually reviewing what's going on, where we think players might sit or fall in the draft sort of thing.

"We've got a rough idea of where players might be rated at the minute but it's still susceptible to change over the next three weeks."

Silvagni suggested the Giants are still looking at picking up one or two more players with AFL experience, but no decision had been made.

Chrono

Senior List
Jun 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Carlton, Buffalo Bills
I'll be really surprised if we don't take Patton with our first 3 draft picks so I'll throw in this story on the new recruit.

Jon Patton practises what he preaches
But Patton, fitness permitting, is likely to play most games next year should he go to Greater Western Sydney as expected.

"I've thought about that a little bit, that if I was drafted to another club I probably wouldn't play as many games," he said.

"But if I was lucky enough to go to the Giants then hopefully I'll play most games.

"And I think that's a good thing.

"For the young kids; it will only be a few years and we'll all have 50 games."

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Along similar lines here is a nice write up on Stephen Coniglio

Kevin Sheehan recently described Coniglio as, “A wonderfully skilled young player and an equally impressive young man. He has the drive to constantly improve himself, and his willingness to pursue excellence”. Sitting at a Leederville coffee shop, I found it hard to believe I was sitting across from a 17 year old. The way Coniglio spoke, coupled with his demeanour would make anyone think they are speaking to someone much older.
http://www.thepuntroadend.com/2011/11/03/stephen-coniglio-2011-afl-draft-prospect/

Chrono

Senior List
Jun 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Carlton, Buffalo Bills
Great article that one. Never knew Krakouer had such an influence on Cogs.

JUST a word of advice to any youngster drafted by Greater Western Sydney in two weeks' time. If you get a call from Luke Power welcoming you to the club, be gracious, thank him, and don't swear.

Power, who was traded to the Giants as a playing-coach after 14 seasons and three flags with the Brisbane Lions, didn't get the same advice when he entered the AFL.

In 1997, Craig Lambert was one of the game's elite midfielders. Having seen a photo of a 17-year-old Power in the newspaper, looking ''stressed and concerned'' he took it upon himself to make a call.

''I spoke to his mum first and she said he was at the library, ring back in an hour, and I did and I said: 'Luke, it's Craig Lambert here, I'd like to welcome you to the Brisbane footy club,' and he said: ''Good on you f***wit, who is this?'' I said: 'Well it's Craig Lambert, Luke, but this is not a great start. I hope we get better from here'.''

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...le-reversal-20111110-1n9g0.html#ixzz1dKxNc6f8

Chrono

Senior List
Jun 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Carlton, Buffalo Bills
Some more stuff on Scully in the Scum this morning;

Tom Scully enjoys being out of the spotlight

He's certainly not going to be in the spotlight in Sydney, but I'm pretty sure there is going to be some scrutiny from the South next year!

Scully reveals behind-scenes turmoil

REVEALED he felt helpless, being hampered by injury and unable to play as critics rounded on him during his second year.

DEFENDED his father Phil's acceptance of a $100,000 recruiting role with Greater Western Sydney.

DECLARED he was at peace with his move north and would live with his decision to leave the Demons should it go bad.

Emma Quayle also gets on the Scully train;
Scully returns with clear mind and conscience after exorcising Demons

Scully, a fanatical trainer, said he had needed to learn the value of rest and restraint after missing much of last year with the injury, but that he had not received any medical advice that it would skim time off his career. Having learnt how to read his body better and mapped out a training program with the Giants' conditioning staff, he plans to play every game in the Giants' debut season next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
For anyone interested:

Join the entire GWS GIANTS playing list on Sunday, November 27 for a GIANT Day Out with loads of fun and games for all kids and adults. At the “GIANT Day Out”, fans and supporters will have the opportunity to get autographs and have photos taken with GIANTS favourites Israel Folau, Kevin Sheedy, Tom Scully, Rhys Palmer, Sam Reid and Callan Ward along with the teams newest Draft picks.
What: The very First GIANT Day Out – Family fun day.
When: Sunday November 27, 2011.
Time: 11am – 3pm
Entry: Free
Address: Blacktown International Sportspark, Eastern Road, Rooty Hill.
More info: www.gwsgiants.com.au

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.php?id=4

.... silence.

Who cares? It's counted in the salary cap, although I have a sneaking suspicion Melbourne will try to avoid doing the same for Todd Viney's contract when his son joins you next year.

Who cares? It's counted in the salary cap, although I have a sneaking suspicion Melbourne will try to avoid doing the same for Todd Viney's contract when his son joins you next year.

Difference is twofold...
a) Viney was already an established assistant coach.
b) Viney is a former club champion and Melbourne captain.

Difference is twofold...
a) Viney was already an established assistant coach.
b) Viney is a former club champion and Melbourne captain.

The only difference I see is that Viney was hired before the kid was officially brought on board, but given he switched over around the same time as Melbourne committed to taking Jack as a father/son pick I don't see it being that different. In the Viney case I suspect it's because he wants to be close to his son and he has that opportunity by changing roles, so good on him. I also think counting Scully's wage in the salary cap is the right thing to do, as it is unlikely he'd have switched clubs if his son wasn't playing for GWS. I just don't think the Viney case is as different as claimed, especially given Scully was an established scout with Sydney already (I can't comment on the pay rate as I don't know the going rates for part time or full time scouts).

Scully2Folau

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Tom Scully's dad Phil Scully to get Giant pay rise

According to today's Daily Telegraph, Scully was paid "several hundred dollars a weekend" working part-time for the Swans.

"Less than $10,000 a season" = close enough to $10,000, divided by the 20 or so weeks he'd be working = $500 a weekend.
Factor in that he'd have been working 1-2 days a weekend, while we'll say 5 days for the Giants as it's full-time (probably more than 5 given the nature of the sports industry, but anyway). So, we'll multiply the weekend rate by 3.3 to get it to an approx. 5-day pay = $1650.
Times that by 52 and you've got $85500.

(bear in mind these are just approximations going off the numbers from one article; can't wait for someone to quote me...)

Not all that outlandish after all...

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Reading the HUN you'd think GWS are about to fold before they even start!

Clearly there not about balance reporting but rather there really running with a syd vs melb agenda.

Anyway he is couple of media stuff firstly Eddie being a tool
COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has vowed to go feral and declare war on Greater Western Sydney if the fledgling AFL club makes a pitch for Magpies star Scott Pendlebury.
Pendlebury agreed to a 12-month extension with the Pies this year, meaning he could be signed as one of the Giants' uncontracted players next year
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...nts-over-players/story-e6frg7mf-1226196563370

Secondly a story on Coniglio being send overseas by GWS to get medical treatment, also like clockwork the hun not missing a chance to have a crack at GWS.

GREATER Western Sydney paid for a player not even on its list to seek treatment for a knee injury in Sweden.
The trip confirms that GWS plans to recruit Perth midfielder Stephen Coniglio at this month's national draft, most likely at pick No.2 behind Victorian star Jon Patton.
GWS officials last night said the club paid for Coniglio, 17, to travel to Stockholm in September.
"The GWS Giants approached the AFL for permission to send Stephen Coniglio overseas for treatment on his knee. This was approved by the AFL," a club spokesman said.
"This was consistent with the AFL ruling that allowed David Swallow to relocate to the Gold Coast in 2010 before he was drafted by the club."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...stephen-coniglio/story-e6frf9jf-1226196073789

And finally a little article on how we prelisted Adam Kennedy

Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni, recruiter Pat Brodie and welfare manager Craig Lambert eventually lobbed at his parents' Melton home, but the conversation soon went down a different path.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-long-way-around/story-fnau1fjg-1226196085890

Remove this Banner Ad

Back