News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-11/grit-and-glamour-drive-giants-rise

Great article. And great observations and commentary by Matt de Boer. Like many others, I said WTF? when we selected him in the 2016 draft, but now I really appreciate what he has brought to the team. He talks about Leon telling him he'd be the 27th or 28th player - I reckon he's now the 17th or 18th player. Rarely the star, but also very rarely has a bad game, he's the glue that holds the team together. Worth a read.

BEHIND every Sebastian Vettel is a low-profile, humble mechanic that is every bit as valuable in keeping the Ferrari purring. That's where the related perception about Greater Western Sydney is often off the mark, or at least it is these days. Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel, Steve Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron are undoubtedly the Vettels of the Giants' set-up, but don't discount their on-field mechanics.

The gibes about GWS only being capable of "pretty football" and lacking the soldiers willing to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty look a little silly now. There is grit to go with the glamour, and perseverance to go with the pizzazz. Players like Matt de Boer, Sam Reid, Dawson Simpson, Zac Langdon, Brent Daniels, Adam Kennedy, Matt Buntine and Daniel Lloyd deserve your attention. "Your draft pick isn't a prerequisite for playing in this team," de Boer told AFL.com.au ahead of the Giants' clash with Adelaide in Canberra on Saturday night. "So that external view and what people refer to more readily compared to what we value internally is poles apart."

De Boer, in many ways and with full respect, is the chief mechanic at GWS, down to the dirt – rather than grease – on his playing top. He could have been washed up as an AFL footballer as a 26-year-old two summers ago, after falling out of favour at Fremantle, then being delisted. But Giants coach Leon Cameron saw something in de Boer despite offering him a frank assessment that he'd start as the "27th or 28th player on the list". Interesting, too, is that the former Docker once shared the perception about GWS relying solely on talent over substance. "Since I was at the club, Leon's been very transparent about what we're trying to build and achieve, and the importance of certain role players to come in and do exactly that.

Matt de Boer on his blue-collar teammates

Zac Langdon:
"His work-rate is phenomenal. The small forward's job on paper is to kick goals, but we love the way he chases, tackles and harasses – and that will hold him in great stead for the next eight to 10 years."

Sam Reid: "He laughs that he's been drafted the most times out of any player, but he just puts opponents to sleep when Leon asks him to go and do a job. The way he gets the most out of himself is really quite impressive."

Dawson Simpson: "I was shattered to see him go down with injury. He's the heart and soul of this team and he must crash when he gets home, because he gives everything to the club, in terms of energy."

Daniel Lloyd: "He made a really big jump this pre-season and is having a great impact. He's as hard as nails, tackles like a man possessed and then can hit the scoreboard with his booming kicks."

Brent Daniels: "He and Zac Langdon make up our mosquito squad. He had an unfortunate start with a knee injury, but since then he's shown an ability to run people down from behind with that appetite and hunger we love."

Matt Buntine and Adam Kennedy: "They've both had knee injuries, but what they've been able to do since the middle part of the year has been really infectious. They bring energy, they lock down on an opponent, they're hard as nails and they run off and create at the right time as well."

CALLAN Ward has heard it all before.

After Greater Western Sydney's gutsy win over Adelaide on Saturday – their ninth from the past 10 games – was soured by more injuries to key players, he knows plenty will write off the premiership chances of his undermanned side.

Not surprisingly, the Giants' co-captain doesn't care.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-13/giant-blocks-his-ears-against-the-naysayers

Hey guys, wasn't sure where to post this. I have an AFL YouTube channel and amongst other things we make player tribute videos from time to time. This one here is for Josh Kelly. I thought I'd pass it on to the GWS faithful. Cheers.

That's not bad.

So expect more injuries
af956fb9083a2b1eff83218f1e42f891.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not a bad article at all. Very interesting read.
https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl...0180824-p4zzmz.html?__twitter_impression=true

Although wasnt a fan of this paragraph.

The Swans also resent the fact that Greater Western Sydney remain a largely inner-city to inner-west team and has made little impact in the outer west. The Giants retort that they remain the only team with an AFLW side and therefore must overlap to attract women athletes to Australian rules.

Where the hell are we supposed to play?

Spotless is the furthest class stadium west.

Like the reference to Scully in this from the fox sports website,
And i like Tim Watson thinking the Hawks are in the race for Shiel, no way they have the currency to trade as a pick around 14 will not be enough and they will need to take a first round pick in next years draft so they should be unable to trade it (Not 100% on this but they have traded out of the last 2 first rounds)

The spine is strong and the key-positions stocks are deep. However if the Bombers are to take the next step, some explosiveness and uncontested ball-winners through the midfield would be ideal. It’s why Essendon has been strongly linked to two Giants in Dylan Shiel and, most recently, Tom Scully. Both players are contracted to GWS beyond this year, but are both from Victoria and in their mid-20s. Scully, ultimately, would be perfect as that hard-running outside midfielder/wingman. Imagine the likes of Heppell and Merrett feeding out to Scully or Shiel from stoppages? Tantalising.

Even given what came to light after the Lambert's left its still great to see Mel return to the club that she did so much in helping our young players in the early days
MELISSA Lambert, the former welfare manager at Greater Western Sydney, has rejoined the Giants in a corporate role. AFL.com.au has confirmed Lambert returned to the Giants in recent weeks after winning a community and group sales position.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-10/melissa-lambert-back-at-giants-in-corporate-role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice write up by Megan Hustwaite on her love for the Giants
You see, I’ve always had a soft spot for the Giants but this year they’ve mended my broken footy heart.
It kinda sounds like a Knock Knock joke. Them: “Who do you follow in the footy?”
Me: “GWS”
Them: *Insert stunned eye emoji face here and/or shocked laugh*
Yep. It’s GW-Yes for me. When it comes to the AFL I follow the League’s newest franchise, Greater Western Sydney.
WTF? And WHY? You ask.
No, I’m not from Western Sydney. I don’t have a brother, cousin or partner who plays there or another understandable link. I don’t really love orange. But I do love their song. It’s glorious, especially because it sounds like something straight out of a pantomime with the crowd ready to shout “behind you!” at the cast.
https://tendaily.com.au/views/a180910ymb/people-think-im-joking-when-i-say-i-support-gws-20180910

Couple of tyre pumping articles today... Starting to make me more nervous about this weekend. :D

Kevin Sheedy, the inaugural Greater Western Sydney coach, says he has never seen a club change its culture as much as Collingwood. “The whole culture at Collingwood has changed. The coach now lives in Toorak and so does the president,” said Sheedy with almost unbearable grandness in his present day role as Giant spruiker and elder carnival barker.

While Sheedy’s line was one in a staccato succession of prods at the Magpies (“They’ve won two premierships in 50 years – that’s four hours of happiness in 50 years, that’s enough…that’s over the top”) that should be taken with the back-pocket plumber humour with which it was delivered, it’s interesting that he didn’t reflect on the changing culture of his former charges.

Although seven years does perhaps not a culture make, particularly against a club steeped in it, the 2018 Giants are very different to the ones that have played in the past two preliminary finals in that they’re not so polyesterishly preternatural, but have an ethic and a grit that fortifies their talent.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...irst-afl-premiership-as-grit-fortifies-talent

Greater Western Sydney vice-captain Stephen Coniglio is being spurred on by the chance to create history this September, firm in the belief the Giants' best is better than the rest.

The foundation Giant wants nothing more than to be part of the club's inaugural premiership side but to do that they must win another three finals, starting with Saturday night's semi-final against Collingwood.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/gi...we-get-it-right-coniglio-20180913-p503k7.html

:DI'm waiting to see if they email next weeks tkt order form today. They did last week and I thought that was a very confident move.

Bit odd that 4 of our finals have been in Sydney, and we've won 3.. Both the interstate finals we've lost though. :)We must be due, and one at the G would be a milestone.

Flog.

We can still make a play for 2019.

We werent well out of the top 4.
1c67498084c7c6927713d527553c8160.jpg

Honestly, doesn’t surprise me. Typical Victorians. Im more annoyed by the use of “zeds” in the Hawthorn paragraph

Remove this Banner Ad

Back