News Giants in the Media

I just wish media types would be more accountable for all the predictions they get so badly wrong.
In the days when news came on paper they were, now it's about the page views.
They don't have to be right and the more outrageous they are the better for thier employers, mostly..

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Pretty poor article from afl.com.au but not sure if it is to do with the release of info from the club or the journo involved
No update on Patton or any post season surgeries, I thought Davis and Corr might have gone under the knife and plenty of others might have has small things done
Also nothing about the recruitment of Nicks as assistant

Training return: The Giants' first-to-fourth-year players hit the track on November 19, with the majority of the rest of the squad due back on December 3.

Injury list: Star midfielder Josh Kelly is progressing well after having surgery on his troublesome hip and his knee post-season, and he's putting in plenty of hours at the club doing rehab. Veteran Heath Shaw started running this week after he suffered a serious knee injury that ended his season in round 21 against Adelaide. Just as he did last year, Shaw will likely have his own pre-season program until the new year.

Draft picks: 9, 11, 19, 25, 52, 89.

Major off-field moves: No news from the back office at GWS with all senior footy and coaching personnel locked into their roles again for 2019.

Round one: Essendon, Sydney Showground Stadium, March 24, 3.20pm AEDT

2018 Premiership odds: $13

And another thing ... Shaw and fellow veteran Brett Deledio will have roles with the Giants' AFLW team, providing coach Alan McConnell with some valuable help in his second season in the job.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Pretty poor article from afl.com.au but not sure if it is to do with the release of info from the club or the journo involved
No update on Patton or any post season surgeries, I thought Davis and Corr might have gone under the knife and plenty of others might have has small things done
Also nothing about the recruitment of Nicks as assistant

Training return: The Giants' first-to-fourth-year players hit the track on November 19, with the majority of the rest of the squad due back on December 3.

Injury list: Star midfielder Josh Kelly is progressing well after having surgery on his troublesome hip and his knee post-season, and he's putting in plenty of hours at the club doing rehab. Veteran Heath Shaw started running this week after he suffered a serious knee injury that ended his season in round 21 against Adelaide. Just as he did last year, Shaw will likely have his own pre-season program until the new year.

Draft picks: 9, 11, 19, 25, 52, 89.

Major off-field moves: No news from the back office at GWS with all senior footy and coaching personnel locked into their roles again for 2019.

Round one: Essendon, Sydney Showground Stadium, March 24, 3.20pm AEDT

2018 Premiership odds: $13

And another thing ... Shaw and fellow veteran Brett Deledio will have roles with the Giants' AFLW team, providing coach Alan McConnell with some valuable help in his second season in the job.
Agreed. To me the news that Heater has resumed running was somewhat a saving grace. It's possible the club wants to keep attention and pressure off the General, just playing devils advocate.

Hopefully Heater progresses well and can have a full season. Likely to be his last I think, but who knows.

More in the link
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-03/giants-premiership-window-still-wide-open-says-ward

Giants' premiership window still wide open, says Ward
Adam Curley
Dec 3, 2018 1:44PM

615343-tlslargelandscape.jpg

Callan Ward says the Giants' premiership window remains open
Related
GREATER Western Sydney's doubters might not agree with him, but co-captain Callan Ward believes his side remains a flag contender despite another off-season of significant list changes.

Star midfielders Dylan Shiel (Essendon) and Tom Scully (Hawthorn), ruck/forward Rory Lobb (Fremantle) and highly-rated youngster Will Setterfield (Carlton) all skipped out of GWS during this year's NAB AFL trade period, with Shiel in particular extremely tough to replace.

The Giants drafted some blue-chip onballers in last month's NAB AFL draft, but those teenagers will take time to become elite players of the competition such as Shiel and Scully.

However, while outsiders might think the GWS midfield unit has been weakened, Ward told the media he has "100 per cent" faith that his club's flag chances in 2019 remains healthy.

NAB AFL DRAFT HUB Latest news, video and more

"I have no doubt we're in the premiership window still," he said on Monday.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
SEN going straight to the VFL media offseason playbook.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/04/terry-wallaces-long-term-concern-over-gws/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Neanderthal media hack, do they realise how they sound like a flat farther living in the past in a backward thinking community and that without the AFL they would be drinking scmiddies in some dive in Fitzroy instead of living the highlife that the national interest in the game brings

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Neanderthal media hack, do they realise how they sound like a flat farther living in the past in a backward thinking community and that without the AFL they would be drinking scmiddies in some dive in Fitzroy instead of living the highlife that the national interest in the game brings
When you need to lie and say we reached 20k members last year to make your point, It's clear you haven't got one.

I see it as a supporter of a club in an overcrowded market place, facing an uncertain long term future, resenting the change that is inevitable.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
On SEN they just said an American billionaire tried to buy you guys before the AFL stepped in and said there was no private ownership in the competition...I can't find anything on it?
Given the AFL actually owns us for now, they dont really have to step in. So I'm gonna say BS.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Apparently the individual took them over to the states only to be shut down over a floated purchase.

Not going to say didnt happen as theres some crazy s**t that seems to happen in Aussie sport.

But it doesnt sound right.
The AFL dont need to shut anything down or step in as they own us.
So any potential buyer has to speak to them.

But in saying that I guess we will find out soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I agree, it sounded odd hence why I came here.
All good. I'm actually not sure if any club board could. The SA and WA club licences are held by the state leagues.

The Swans and Suns are in the same boat as us. Not sure about the Lions.

Not sure of all the Melbourne club constitutions but I think they are member owned. They would require a members vote I think, but I'm not certain. I've only read ours in detail.

Back