News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Working on a train is a good thing sometimes.
Here's the Giants part of the output.
813b62042e79ded4c001fa8428182483.jpg
d485a8b0050848c0f0fa45df614d4b2f.jpg
c7f5ddeef53b6f8d0b4a38be66ab6237.jpg
96970d235f59fcb7a1956dc7501b229c.jpg
61acd9cc2308b922e57474b0a0fff826.jpg
f174eec7f1c3108240462628f8a2f4f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/b928be16fa1084824b6b280047e2b87a

Devon Smith and Dylan Shiel warned to brace for hostile return to Sydney Showground after sledge

Ben Horne, The Daily Telegraph

March 20, 2019 8:18pm

Subscriber only

Ex-Giants Dylan Shiel and Devon Smith have been warned to brace for an explosive return to ‘the graveyard’ on Sunday with GWS privately bristling over a sledge on their home turf.

Smith has lit the fuse for a blockbuster Round 1 grudge match, after implying that fellow Essendon recruit Shiel deserved a bigger occasion for his Bombers debut than the modest surroundings he will get back at the Sydney Showground.
The embittered former Giant sarcastically dubbed the Showground ‘the graveyard’ in a cutting shot at GWS over their less than grandiose crowd figures.
Giants co-captain Callan Ward on Wednesday hit back at the slap-down and declared players are keeping the insult front of mind for a potential first-bounce burial.
“Yeah we definitely heard the comment. We haven’t spoken about it as a team or anything like that but I think it’s in the back of a few of the players’ minds,” Ward, injured for the first month of the competition, told The Daily Telegraph.

“ … I don’t really care what he thinks about it really.
“He’s opposition and we’re here to play against Essendon and to win.
“That’s kind of Dev being Dev. He likes to say a few things here and there so it’s pretty funny.
“I love playing there, our whole playing group loves playing there … so at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter what he says.”
Smith has been regularly quoted admitting he didn’t enjoy his final year at GWS in 2017 and felt he was shafted by the club when they didn’t play him in that year’s finals series.
The outspoken Bomber knows how to get under the Giants’ skin and has brought one of GWS’ favourite sons, Shiel into the firing line with him.
“Poor Dyl, he wanted a blockbuster crowd and he’s got the Giants up there on a Sunday arvo in the graveyard,” Smith said after the Bombers’ most recent trial.
Ward, who has resumed running this week and had his injured knee re-scanned on Wednesday — and despite his own absence — said the Giants midfield was in good shape even after Shiel’s departure.

Ward said deciding to leave was an agonising moment for Shiel but said come Sunday, mateship will be put on hold.
“It’s just another opposition, it doesn’t really matter who it is. We’re playing in a game that’s super competitive and it’s our job really, it’s our livelihood — so who cares who you’re playing,” said Ward.
“Dyl had to weigh up a fair bit before he left us and I know having spoken to him it was a huge call for him to leave Sydney because he just loves Sydney and every time he comes back here he thinks, ‘why did I leave?’
“We’re in a good spot. We’ve still got Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio, Tim Taranto, Harry Perryman, Jacob Hopper, Brett Deledio and Lachie Whitfield.
“Dev is a bit more fiery than Dyl … he’s very competitive and I love that about him. Dyl is probably a bit more quiet.
“I’m sure the boys have a plan to play against them and try and get under their skin but they’re pretty strong and competitive people as well so it will be hard.”

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/afl/gi...utm_source=rss_feed&__twitter_impression=true

Some interesting parts.

The multi-million dollar agreement is open-ended and actually leaves the Giants in a financially stronger position in comparison to past deals, CEO David Matthews said.

While the Western Sydney Wanderers are due to finish up at Olympic Park at the end of the A-League season, the Giants Stadium name will stick all year round - even when the Sydney Thunder are playing Big Bash League matches.

But Matthews believes it's time GWS starts aiming high when it comes to off-field matters. Having notched 27,000 members last season, Matthews wants them to hit the 30,000 mark this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03...ome-one-of-competition's-top-three-defenders/

Young GWS backman Sam Taylor will be one of the competition's best three defenders within the next two years, according to Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton. Taylor, 19, made his debut for the Giants in 2018 and finished the campaign with nine games next to his name and a Rising Star nomination in Round 17 against Richmond. He collected 17 disposals and took three marks in yesterday's 72-point hammering of Essendon at Giants Stadium. Brereton believes the Western Australian has all the attributes to become one of the competition’s elite defenders. “GWS backman Sam Taylor – within the next 44 games he will be in the top three key position backman in the competition,” he told SEN’s KB and The Doc. “He’s lightning fast, he’s 6’5, he reads the ball beautifully, he’s good on both sides of the body – this kid is a star.”

I'll pay that, after watching him mark, spoil, and take off with the ball at different points. I'd actually forgotten he'd only played nine games last season - he seems like a fixture in the best 22 already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back