News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said before how much I like this publication, and again they write stuff that I like ... https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/06/23/underrated

The Mongrel's All-Underrated Team 2019

PHIL DAVIS - GWS

I was a little shocked to find that Davis has never been an All-Australian. The GWS captain is one of the best defenders of the last decade after moving from Adelaide at the conclusion of 2011. In one-on-one contests against the best big forwards in the land, Davis more than holds his own, giving Buddy Franklin a couple of baths in 2018.

NICK HAYNES - GWS

This is my guy. Flies under the radar, is rarely beaten, and can hurt both in the air and on the deck. I was against having him in this game because I rate him so highly that I didn’t think he could be underrated by others. Turns out the other Mongrels think he is criminally underrated. He is currently travelling at career-high numbers in disposals, rebounds and 1%ers. Maybe he will get some AA love by the end of this season?

JACOB HOPPER - GWS

Here’s the unsung midfield bull of the Giants. Kelly, Coniglio and Taranto get the headlines – Hopper gets the hardball. He has made the leap from 9.71 to 13.15 contested touches per game this season as he takes on more responsibility at stoppages. Does it surprise you that he leads the Giants in contested touches? It shouldn’t – he’s a bull, and at just 22, will get a lot better.

The Age says it'll be Sydney game because that's the spare in our ground contracts:

Whereas Port Adelaide has had to find another club willing to give up a home game to host the Shanghai match (initially Gold Coast, now St Kilda), the Giants' contractual deal is for seven games at Giants Stadium and three in Canberra, leaving them the possibility of playing a home game elsewhere.

"In contractual terms, we've got a spare game," said Matthews.

The Age says it'll be Sydney game because that's the spare in our ground contracts:

Whereas Port Adelaide has had to find another club willing to give up a home game to host the Shanghai match (initially Gold Coast, now St Kilda), the Giants' contractual deal is for seven games at Giants Stadium and three in Canberra, leaving them the possibility of playing a home game elsewhere.

"In contractual terms, we've got a spare game," said Matthews.

So we * over western Sydney. Where we are trying to grow the sport and club?

Matthews and the board screwing up here if this is factual.

I know a few people out west who push the narrative that because we have home games in Canberra that they aren't committed to the region, now we are giving another 1 up to the Yanks?

Can remember asking why we don't have a Sky blue alt jersey, just for something different and was told we are growing the club and the region and so want to stick with the ideals of the club.

Next min sell out the region for a game in a country that is overloaded by sport on the otherside of the world. ffs.

Yes I'm 500% against this idea.

So we **** over western Sydney. Where we are trying to grow the sport and club?

Matthews and the board screwing up here if this is factual.

I know a few people out west who push the narrative that because we have home games in Canberra that they aren't committed to the region, now we are giving another 1 up to the Yanks?

Can remember asking why we don't have a Sky blue alt jersey, just for something different and was told we are growing the club and the region and so want to stick with the ideals of the club.

Next min sell out the region for a game in a country that is overloaded by sport on the otherside of the world. ffs.

Yes I'm 500% against this idea.

I would be ok with this if...........

2020 looked like this ;

Rd.1 March 25th : Giants vs Lions USA
Rd.3 April 12th : 1pm Giants vs Gold Coast ACT
Rd.5 April 24th : Friday ANZAC EVE : Giants vs Swans 7:30pm Friday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Rd.7 May 9th : Saturday Night : Giants vs Geelong 7:20pm Saturday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Queens BDAY Weekend : Friday Night Giants vs Crows or Sunday 1pm ACT
Friday June 20th : Giants vs Pies 7:50pm Friday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Saturday July 4th : Giants vs Hawks : 4:30pm Twlight @ Giants Stadium
Sunday July 26th : 1pm Giants vs Dockers @ ACT
Saturday August 8th : Giants vs Essendon 7:20pm Saturday Night Blockbuster @ GIANTS Stadium
Last round at GIANTS Stadium time TBC against the Bulldogs or North Melb.

We are a Western Sydney club.

We are asking the people of Western Sydney to buy in, and they are slowly, on the back of only 8 games a season.

Now we want to try on 7?

This won't go down well.

Give us the blockbusters we have now earned over the past 4 years in prime time and put 1 of the lesser club games over in LA, i would buy into that.

I wouldn't.

I will never ditch this club, but this is a stupid idea when we are nowhere near where we need to be in our own backyard support wise.

Thats because we play lesser clubs at crazy times and scheduled wrong and further more not to have Pies, Hawks or Essendon last weekend when no games of NRL is another reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team of the Week, R18: Who makes the cut?

Back Pocket : Heath Shaw
Rover : Toby Greene
Centre Half Forward : Jeremy Cameron

Congrats to the boys above

Many others stiff to miss out

Roos argues if you had to line every player in the AFL up against a wall and pick them one by one, Whitfield would be the first player picked due to how much damage he inflicts with his ball use and decision making. “I’ve spoken to a few people inside footy clubs, if there was an open market and someone said we are going to start the competition again have your first pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if that fella there is taken above any other player in the competition,” Roos said on Fox Footy on Monday night. “(I think he is) No. 1 in the comp for the very reasons of how the game is played today and you see it on a weekly basis. The game changes when Lachie Whitfield gets the ball.

“He is certainly top-five, but there are some clubs that would take him at No. 1 and I guarantee it.”

Roos argues if you had to line every player in the AFL up against a wall and pick them one by one, Whitfield would be the first player picked due to how much damage he inflicts with his ball use and decision making. “I’ve spoken to a few people inside footy clubs, if there was an open market and someone said we are going to start the competition again have your first pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if that fella there is taken above any other player in the competition,” Roos said on Fox Footy on Monday night. “(I think he is) No. 1 in the comp for the very reasons of how the game is played today and you see it on a weekly basis. The game changes when Lachie Whitfield gets the ball.

“He is certainly top-five, but there are some clubs that would take him at No. 1 and I guarantee it.”

No surprise to see media completely overrating a player and i agree he is a good player but the best in the game I think we need to see more influential games and seasons to make those claims. I think Grundy at the moment is the best in the game and if Dustin or Danger takes their teams to a flag this year they will take the crown from Grundy

NSW, Queensland clubs push AFL to address 'inequalities'

By Caroline Wilson

July 26, 2019 — 11.44am

Five years after the AFL scrapped the contentious Sydney cost-of-living allowance (COLA) and more than 15 years since Brisbane lost its salary cap benefits to combat the "go-home" factor, the four clubs based outside football's heartland are calling for a radical correction to address their geographical disadvantages.

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham and his Greater Western Sydney counterpart Tony Shepherd have backed an urgent review by the AFL Commission as they struggle to retain players and staff.
Brisbane Lions chief Greg Swann said he expected north-of-the-Murray club bosses to outline their push at the forthcoming CEO talks early next month.
Giants chief Dave Matthews said the four clubs would unite due to their unique circumstances and has called upon the AFL bosses to travel north to assess the inequalities in their marketing and fixturing, cost of living, player academies and second-tier competitions.
The four club presidents have asked Gillon McLachlan and his chairman Richard Goyder to attend initial discussions before the end of the football year.

The move comes as Gold Coast languishes on the AFL critical list. Amid growing fears the Suns will lose another star in Jack Martin the club is also struggling to re-sign the youthful duo of Ben King and Jack Lukosius and are campaigning for a priority draft pick immediately after pick No.1.
Mindful that COLA has become the most tarnished acronym in the competition, Swans chairman Pridham said the cost-of-living inequalities for the Sydney clubs needed to be urgently addressed "without the industry getting hysterical".

"I think whatever it's called there needs to be allowances in the soft cap and the salary cap," said Pridham. "This has to be addressed. It's the biggest issue in footy and it's come around to this point again."
When asked whether the Swans and the Giants would push to regain their player COLA, Pridham said: "It's dangerous putting labels on things and I know the feeling around COLA but we need to address this without getting hysterical.
"That's why we have an independent commission. All four clubs in the non-traditional states need to sit down with the commission and calmly look at this. Coaches and players want more money to play in the non-traditional states and it's irrefutable that it costs more than 10 per cent extra to live in Sydney.

"There's a whole lot of issues around player and coach retention and there needs to be a review. It's irrefutable to that there needs to be changes."

It's dangerous putting labels on things and I know the feeling around COLA but we need to address this without getting hysterical.
Andrew Pridham, Sydney chairman

Swann said it was beyond dispute footballers living in Sydney faced financial disadvantages due to the heavier living costs. Having overseen an on-field resurrection at the Lions he also spoke of the adjustments which accompanied living outside the football heartland.
"The problem we have is that almost everyone here is from somewhere else," said Swann. "So the club becomes everything, which is not always healthy. There is an outlet in the home-state players to turn to mates or family, which we don't have here."
While Pridham last addressed Sydney's issues with the commission two months ago, Shepherd said: "I've been whinging a lot but now we seriously need to address this. The expansion of the competition is an AFL initiative but now they need to follow their money. If I were them that's what I would be doing.
"The four clubs are talking together now and we can't let this go. Our players talk to their mates in Melbourne and Adelaide and Perth and they are very aware of the sponsorship and marketing opportunities they are missing out on.

"And it's not just players. The football expertise on and off the field comes from the heartland. I'm talking about doctors and conditioning staff and coaches. We have a terrific doctor but he has a background in rugby league not AFL.

I've been whinging a lot but now we seriously need to address this.
Tony Shepherd, GWS chairman

"And we have to pay significantly more than other clubs to bring them here and our players can't negotiate the advertising contracts and ambassadorial rates their counterparts are in Melbourne and Adelaide.
"If we fell out of the eight we would risk some bad years and you look at the Gold Coast's plight at the moment and it's hurting the entire competition. It's damaging attendances and they are seriously struggling to keep players and the competition is going to continue to pillage their list."
Shepherd said the AFL bowed to pressure from the traditional clubs to scrap COLA after Sydney recruited Lance Franklin on a lucrative long-term contract "partly because I think they wanted him to come to us".
Brisbane's retention allowance was removed again due to pressure from the powerful Victorian bloc after the club had won successive flags and recruited Blake Caracella from Essendon. "But then the Lions languished outside the eight for years and they struggled to keep their players and staff," said Shepherd.

The four clubs have a strong ally in the AFL Players' Association, whose boss Paul Marsh described the inequalities in the current system as "a conversation the industry has to have".
"It's complex and maybe it's something we will work towards the next CBA but I'm putting it on the agenda. We're not taking this lightly."
Marsh urged the competition not to view the move "as an anti-Victorian stance. But we have a system based on equalisation. We have a salary cap, a reverse order draft, a soft cap and we need to look at the areas of 'disequalisation'.
"I'm not just talking about the four clubs in New South Wales and Queensland. We're talking about where the grand final is played and about the unfairness of the fixture where the West Australian teams and non-Victorian teams should be prioritised."
Although the WA teams were allotted extra business-class seats for flights to and from their matches in the last collective bargaining agreement, Marsh pointed out strange fixturing decisions such as sending West Coast to country NSW for a pre-season game.

Fresh from a club visit to Greater Western Sydney, where the taxi fare from the airport totalled $160 along with $35 in toll charges, Marsh agreed the marketing and promotional opportunities for players north of the Murray were significantly less than those in the traditional Australian rules states.
Pridham said a middle-ranked Victorian-based player during grand final week had the potential to earn between $10,000 to $20,000 through appearances in Melbourne - an opportunity not available to comparable Queensland and NSW-based players.

Team of the Week, R19: Who makes the cut?

Full Back : Phil Davis
Centre Half Back : Nick Haynes

Only 2 named this week in a great ugly win away from home, unlucky for some others to miss the cut but when you see T.Kelly, Neale and others on the bench was always going to be tough

Team of the Week, R20: Who makes the cut?

Full Back : Nick Haynes
Centre : Jacob Hopper

Fantastic effort by Nick and Hop's, HUGE games :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back